Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 AM

133 posts, read 229,741 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving back to California in the next two weeks. Previously I lived in Newport Beach but have lived in Virginia the past year. My company is transferring me to our Oceanside office. I don't know a whole lot about the area or greater San Diego for that matter. Are there area's in Oceanside I should avoid and what about surrounding area's? I'm a single male age 30 and looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. What can you tell me about nightlife, things to do etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,855,272 times
two weeks is very short time to find a good apartment in North County or anywhere in the Oceanside vicinity. There's a serious rental shortage here in SD and most complexes have waiting lists. Just a heads up, you might want to prepare to stay at a suite hotel for awhile unless you have friends in the area to stay with. One bedrooms are going for $1800 on average.

Last edited by loveautumn; 02-24-2017 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM

782 posts, read 760,984 times
^^I agree, get your company to put you into a corporate housing and then spend your free time finding a place. It may not be idea they are often loud and noisy, but if you can swing 30 days it may help.

We moved here from the East Coast as well over a year ago, knew nothing about the area and finding a rental remotley was difficult to say the least and places go fast.

Also if you are planning on driving out, it will take you 4 to 5 days depending on how many hours you can drive per day.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM

133 posts, read 229,741 times
Yes, I am planning on staying in an extended stay or AIRBNB for a little while, and this will be my second cross country move to California so I'm aware of the long drive. I was mainly curious about what areas to look and areas to avoid. Thank you for the feedback,

Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM

I don't know much about Oceanside, only been there a few times. I know there are issues in some parts but others are okay. I live in San Marcos right near the Carlsbad line and like it here for the most part.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
I don't know much about Oceanside, only been there a few times. I know there are issues in some parts but others are okay. I live in San Marcos right near the Carlsbad line and like it here for the most part.
Thiswill help. Also google Gangs in Oceanside and you can get a map showing the areas they are in

http://www.crimemapping.com

Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,657,895 times
What's your approximate rental budget?

If I were single and your age, I'd probably look at Encinitas/Leucadia or Carlsbad instead of Oceanside. They're just to the south of Oceanside. You'll pay a little more and have a bit longer commute, but they're nicer areas with more upscale nightlife and things to do than Oceanside. Live west of the 5 if you can afford it; east of the 5 gets pretty suburban the further inland you go.

Tip: If you haven't already done so, use the advanced search tool above to search this forum for Oceanside, Encinitas and Carlsbad. All three are frequent topics of conversation here, so you'll find tons of info and insights on all three areas that way.

Good luck with your move. Welcome to San Diego County!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-24-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Thiswill help. Also google Gangs in Oceanside and you can get a map showing the areas they are in

http://www.crimemapping.com
Comparing Oceanside to West Palm Beach, I see more icons tagged in West Palm Beach, does not shock me.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:55 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,537,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Comparing Oceanside to West Palm Beach, I see more icons tagged in West Palm Beach, does not shock me.
Just avoid what is known as the back gate area of Camp Pendleton, & the valley area of East Oceanside, & the area adjacent to Tri-City Med Center. Try to stick to South O'side, which is next to Carlsbad & close to beach.

Safer inland areas in O'side would be Rancho del Oro & Ivey Ranch...those areas are more suburban, i.e. families, kids.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,855,272 times
I'd say nightlife in Encinitas all along 101/PCH definitely skues your age group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego