Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:37 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times

Advertisements

I think Marvel not showing up took a lot of Air out of this years Comic Con.
https://www.cnet.com/news/marvel-and...19-truly-epic/

Quote:
I wouldn't say I felt calmer this year, but 2018 did feel slower and more chill than before with no major news or announcements coming until Saturday during the Warner Bros. panel. There was no big, crazy reveal Wednesday during preview night, no major stunners Thursday (though seeing the new Doctor on stage was wonderful), and Friday passed with little to get excited about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Most of the volunteers know nothing, because they only volunteer to get in for free. The regular volunteers that are there every year know the building though.

I was working by the elevator at Lobby D/E by Starbucks, because the Con security (RA Consulting) wanted someone there that knew the building. I had people looking for the Sails Pavilion, different rooms, people on scooters, wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, baby strollers and carriages lined up to get on my elevator, because there were so many people upstairs, the escalators were reversed to down.

Some people on scooters refused to share the elevator, because they wanted to be right in front of the door when it opened. I took care of that problem, by holding the outside button down so it wouldn't move, and put more people in there. One woman threatened to get me fired (fat chance!) because the elevator left without her.

I also had to keep people off the steps and the aisleway between the steps and the wall, along with preventing the public from accessing the Mezzanine level, because that's where all the show offices are. The Starbucks employees said that people were complaining that they weren't making their drinks fast enough, and said that on my day off, no one was working there, and it was a mess with people all over the place.

If I had $1.00 for every man who asked me where the men's room was (because they can't see it in front of them), I would have been rich. I considered putting a tip jar out, but didn't.

So now I have the "Comic Con" crud, which will probably last for a week.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ besides money you earned, what were top two positive things about event in your view ?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ besides money you earned, what were top two positive things about event in your view ?
The money that I make there is the only positive other than that, I could care less about the event. If I wasn't working it, I wouldn't be anywhere near downtown for that week. I'm there strictly for the money, but I won't work Coachella, though.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The money that I make there is the only positive other than that, I could care less about the event. If I wasn't working it, I wouldn't be anywhere near downtown for that week. I'm there strictly for the money, but I won't work Coachella, though.
why won't work Coachella though; money not good there ?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
why won't work Coachella though; money not good there ?
The money is good at Coachella, but I would have to board my cat for the entire time I worked, plus sleep in a tent with numerous other people. Some people jump at the chance to work it, but I don't.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

Originally Posted by bloom

^ besides money, what are top two positive things about anything in your view ?

Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
^ besides money, what are top two positive things about anything in your view ?
The only positive thing for me is the money, nothing else. I don't care about the costumes, who's there, or the panels. And that goes for most of my co-workers, too.

We look forward to that big paycheck every year, and when Comic Con moves to either LA or LV, the company that I work for staffs those convention centers, too.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 PM

782 posts, read 760,055 times
Sorry but it would suit me fine if Comic Con left, I avoid downtown when that's going on along with the airport, last year I had a business trip around Comic Con and flew back to San Diego the day before Comic Con, the plane was filled with ppl, mainly with people going, carrying figures, posters and many doing Youtube Selfie Blogs with their cameras on the plane when it landed.

Also not that planes smell good, but there was a higher than typical aroma of BO on the plane, I heard from others that have been to Comic Con and they say it's a mix of BO and Halitosis, often some in costumes that are ultra sweaty.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Just wait until 2021, because I'm sure that's going to be it's last year here. Unless the city agrees to the SDCC expansion, it's going to either LA or LV in 2022.

When you have over 100,000 people in one place, you're bound to have smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego