Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times

Advertisements

Thank you, this thread has some useful accounts of personal experiences with allergies in San Diego. In the unlikely event I would ever move there--money being the biggest obstacle--I would be doing it for the sake of getting away from frequent barometric pressure changes, not so much for allergy avoidance. But it's good to have a realistic view of how my allergies might worsen, should I move there. My allergies are not nearly as bad now as they were my first few years in Albuquerque, mostly thanks to years of allergy injections (and maybe another treatment I've had that's supposed to make nasal/sinus mast cells less reactive). So starting over in a new place has less and less appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:49 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Thank you, this thread has some useful accounts of personal experiences with allergies in San Diego. In the unlikely event I would ever move there--money being the biggest obstacle--I would be doing it for the sake of getting away from frequent barometric pressure changes, not so much for allergy avoidance. But it's good to have a realistic view of how my allergies might worsen, should I move there. My allergies are not nearly as bad now as they were my first few years in Albuquerque, mostly thanks to years of allergy injections (and maybe another treatment I've had that's supposed to make nasal/sinus mast cells less reactive). So starting over in a new place has less and less appeal.
Had some friends move to Albuquerque to get away from the allergies due to better air and less vegetation that can cause allergies.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:31 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
He spoke of problems he had with another plant from Australia so he needs to know about the Eucalyptus.
I'm a native San Diegan who spent the first ten years of my life on Point Loma. I had terrible asthma - the ER visit in the middle of the night kind of asthma. My cousin who lived a few blocks away also developed the same level of asthma around the same time. Neither of us was tested for allergies then as it wasn't commonly done - this was in the fifties.

Eventually on the advice of various doctors we moved to East County. I never had another asthma attack like that but every time I'd get close to Eucalyptus trees I'd start to wheeze. My cousin moved to the East Coast and never had another asthma attack. Until she came back to San Diego for college and was exposed to Eucalyptus. Then she had a massive attack. We finally connected the dots and got ourselves tested. Eucalyptus was a golf-ball sized reaction for both of us.

It's difficult to pigeon-hole an area as to whether allergies are better or worse, in general. It all depends on what you're allergic to.

If it's possible, and sometimes it is, it would be great to be tested for a specific area's most common allergens prior to moving. I was considering moving to Oregon at one time and my allergist ran the Pacific Northwest panel. We got our answers and I'll never be moving there! Conifers, molds, all sorts of things came up positive. So glad I was able to do that.

In the end there is no perfect place allergy-wise. There's only the perfect place for you and it can be hard to find. Good luck to all who are searching.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 AM

129 posts, read 164,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgosma View Post
San Diego County and allergies: clearly as with any place it depends upon WHAT one is allergic to. I came here from the SF East Bay area, I had moderate seasonal issues with TREE and GRASS pollen up North- I got to Oceanside, 5 miles from the beach and things got a lot worse. After the doc test me for allergies he said 'Bill, go back to NorCal', this is NOT the place to be as you have several TREES and GRASSES you're highly allergic to.

Problem in this area: Mild year-round temps mean virtually ANYTHING grows and it grows YEAR ROUND- there really is no cold weather to cause pollen production to go dormant.
^^BINGO!!!! You hit the nail on the head! That's IT!

I have been wondering why my allergies seem to be YEAR-ROUND out here (I live in OC) and now it's making sense! I moved out here from the east coast, and while I used to suffer from allergies in the spring time (usually due to pollen and stuff), it was NEVER anything like I experience out here where I'm sneezing and having some type of sinus issue practically every single DAY for the past several years. It's annoying! It's to the point where co-workers keep asking me if I'm "sick". I always have to tell them, "no...it's just my allergies..."

Anyway, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think it's a combination of things. I think it's the fact that the moderate temps all year-round never allow allergens to abate since it doesn't get cold temps, AND the fact that it barely EVER rains so the air stays dusty and the wind blows pollutants and allergens around. And lastly, the pollution in the air could also be an allergen in itself.

I'm used to more greenery/trees and a little less pollution where I'm from, so I think the combination of the dry air, the lack of RAIN, and the fact that things can be in bloom practically all year-round is what is causing my suffering.

If I keep suffering like this, I may actually have to make a decision on whether or not I can keep living out here.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM

567 posts, read 787,948 times
I agree that it's what you're allergic to.
Being near the ocean isn't the best for mold.
If you're also sensitive to pesticides, spraying is abundant in SoCal.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It depends on what you are allergic to. In addition it can be air pollution not just allergies. While SoCal/SDC is not bad re allergies, that does not mean there are not things there You are allergic to.

The air pollution is a problem.

Check airnow.gov, put in your zip code and click on all the buttons above the figure that shows up to see how good or bad for that day.
There is very little air pollution in San Diego County.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 PM

12 posts, read 12,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
If you have tree and grass allergies, and you suffered precisely from tree and grass allergies in the Bay Area, then why would your doctor tell you to go back there?
Because where I lived in the SF East Bay the winter's are cold enough for trees/grasses to go into full dormancy, so next to zero pollen for a while which would help my situation (during winter). In SoCal the winter weather is really not cool/cold enough for these plants to go fully dormant, so even in winter there is a moderate amount of pollen in the air.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
There is very little air pollution in San Diego County.
Check airnow.gov

Anything above 50 is not good. Moderate is still not good and above 100 is worse. It changes from hour to hour and day to day, but overall it is not that good. I have lived in SD County twice and am very familiar with the air quality.

Examples

This is from City-data and is a bit old, but it hasn't gotten better.
San Diego

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 149. This is significantly worse than average.
City:149U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Di...#ixzz5Znqa8BCx

Poway

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 116. This is significantly worse than average.
City:116U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Poway-...#ixzz5ZntQfEQg

Carlsbad

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 147. This is significantly worse than average.
City:147U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Carlsb...#ixzz5ZnthNTDT

Last edited by expatCA; 12-15-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego