Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post

The same thing occurred many years ago with South Park. The name South Park is an invention by several real estate agents to change the stigma of Golden Hill into something else, while doing little to really affect any change. I could call them out by name but that would be snarky.

This name change thing is happening a lot lately. I watch the news and they're naming locations that I have no idea where they are.
Most of South Park is indeed part of Greater Golden Hill but it is and always has been considered a distinct neighborhood within it. The name South Park shows up on city maps dating to 1896 so, yes, its name is “made up” but it was done so by developers at the turn of the last century when platted out and when its boundaries were being set, not so much by realtors of the turn of this century. The designation had fallen out of favor for several decades but it has always existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 11:38 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Most of South Park is indeed part of Greater Golden Hill but it is and always has been considered a distinct neighborhood within it. The name South Park shows up on city maps dating to 1896 so, yes, its name is “made up” but it was done so by developers at the turn of the last century when platted out and when its boundaries were being set, not so much by realtors of the turn of this century. The designation had fallen out of favor for several decades but it has always existed.
I've heard this before about it being on old city maps but never seen it with my own eyes. I'm not doubting you but could you tell me where I could see such a thing.

I am always interested in the history of North Park and the surrounding area. I was born and raised in NP, right off Redwood and 30th street area. Went to kindergarten, grade school and high school in the area. I still own property in the area. Lived there over 40 years. I never heard the name South Park till early 2000s...maybe late 90s. Asked my parents, they never heard of it. Asked neighbors...nothing. South Park started with some clever real estate agents renaming something they didn't like. That is the first time I heard the area being mentioned as South Park. Maybe they got it from an old map but I'm telling you, it is an invention..possibly a re-invention.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
It is not at all difficult to find pertinent information regarding the early development and naming of South Park. It is not a recent invention. I’ve done plenty historical research of the area with my profession as an architectural designer with several designated properties here and have lived here since the mid ‘90s. You and Judy the Beauty on Duty (God love her) can think otherwise.

CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL RESOURCES INVENTORY DATABASE

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/defau...r_workshop.pdf

Old 02-16-2020, 12:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It is not at all difficult to find pertinent information regarding the early development and naming of South Park. It is not a recent invention. I’ve done plenty historical research of the area with my profession as an architectural designer with several designated properties here and have lived here since the mid ‘90s. You and Judy the Beauty on Duty (God love her) can think otherwise.

CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL RESOURCES INVENTORY DATABASE

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/defau...r_workshop.pdf
Thank you for the documents to read. I love the old pictures.

I get it and I saw the Plat map but I'm still not buying it. Its a recent (last thirty years) invention or should I say, re-invention. Same with Altadena. Thats another re-creation. My tax bill on my rental property says Frary Heights but for as long as I've lived and as long as my parents lived in the area, it was and will always be North Park. I've heard neighbors mention it and use it because they want to set themselves aside from the other misnomers.

When people talk about PSA flight 182 and the crash, they don't say it happened in Altadena or Dwight's Addition. They say it happened in North Park because thats what is has been called for the last 100 years. But low and behold, that area has become Altadena in the past ten years, some call it the Nile corridor, this is new, it may be on the plat map or their tax bill but this whole thing is new. Its a "thing" and its happening all over the city.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 AM

47 posts, read 31,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
What neighborhoods or cities in San Diego do you think are on the rise and why?
What would make your neighborhood better? Park? Trolley? Healthier food options?
If I was a betting man I would buy one of those fancy high rise condos in east village. My thoughts are as more and more are built the city will be forced to move the homeless charities/kitchens/shelters elsewhere. The homeless will follow, and with the homeless gone the area will become very $$$.

Of course my whole premise includes lots of ifs.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:51 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Anyone familiar with the Escayalife subdivision?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I had to look it up and I actually do. My wife’s coworker bought there while under construction a few years back. They tried to sell us on it when we were looking. We’ve been out there a couple of times and it’s really nice. Like them, it’s filled with lots of young families. Not a lot going on around there socially though. You won’t be walking anywhere either except through the community. It’s close to Coors Amphitheater and Soak City so it’s got that going for it. What is it you want to know?

Old 03-28-2020, 02:24 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
I had to look it up too. There's a real nice concert venue about a mile south of Escayalife. Get ready for some good concerts. My wife and I saw Taylor Swift at that concert venue when she was just getting started. The venue has had a variety of names but it's current name may be North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 PM

987 posts, read 779,931 times
Quote:
If it is near zip 92154, it is a good stable area low crime high police presence

Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM

121 posts, read 336,760 times
Does Normal Heights count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego