Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,792 times

Advertisements

Moved from San Diego to NC about a year and half ago, after having a baby and realizing that a nurse's salary just wouldn't buy me a thing. I found a job opening in SD, and would LOOOOOOVE to come back...but is the housing prices or even renting anywhere close to dropping into a nurse's price range ( 200k?)? or comfortablely $1400/mo rent. I'm almost embarassed to inquire, but I want to come back!! What about foreclosures? thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
renting is still affordable here but is going up fast.

buying is way less although it's harder to get a loan.

So overall, I'd stay it's still expensive given the salaries here.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM

99 posts, read 368,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcc View Post
Moved from San Diego to NC about a year and half ago, after having a baby and realizing that a nurse's salary just wouldn't buy me a thing. I found a job opening in SD, and would LOOOOOOVE to come back...but is the housing prices or even renting anywhere close to dropping into a nurse's price range ( 200k?)? or comfortablely $1400/mo rent. I'm almost embarassed to inquire, but I want to come back!! What about foreclosures? thanks.....
geez, i didnt know RN get paid that much.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuyoi_racing View Post
geez, i didnt know RN get paid that much.
I thought she meant house in the 200k price range.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I thought she meant house in the 200k price range.
she did

Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 PM

130 posts, read 447,008 times
I would say you can pick up a basic 2 bedroom condo in some areas at/near that price, but you’ll be limited and they may be condo conversions. I’d maybe check San Carlos – I have a friend with a 2/2 condo in a complex I like off Hyde Park Drive (looks nice with the remodeled kitchen) and they’re decent layout/feel at about 1100 sq. ft – major downside is no laundry in the unit (there are laundry facilities onsite somewhere). There’s a pool/clubhouse area, and I would feel comfy and safe there with a child. I see some listed now for the 180 to 190 range, but they may need a little work.

Since you’re familiar with the area, I’d suggest looking online at some of the real estate sites. I like sdlookup . com, but the data/mapping isn’t always 100% accurate. It lists properties for the entire county by neighborhood, and you can sort by house/condo and also see them on a map (when that function is working properly). You should be able to get up to speed quickly.

Craigslist is good for getting a feel for rentals, (I google map the location as well) but not all of the listings are legit. (You’ll be able to weed them out pretty quickly.) To me, it doesn’t seem that renting is any cheaper than it was a year and a half ago, but some complexes are offering incentives. I have historically rented from private owners, but just moved to a complex in north county coastal and got $1,000 off first month’s rent with a 1-year lease (paying 1550 for a 2/1.5 bath, if that helps provide perspective).

Not sure what kind of nursing you do, but I’ve seen places in San Diego offer signing bonuses to bring in nurses. They may also help with relocation expenses (or locating places to live), so don’t forget to look into that. A good nurse is hard to find…

Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,452 times
Give it 4 or so more months. Renting is unrealistic right now. Homeowners want $1800 for their 2 bed / 2 bath condo (pipe dream). Essentially, they're trying to get their mortgage covered for the overpriced unit they purchased 2-3 years ago.

Buying is getting substantially cheaper, but like I said, wait it out another 4 months. With $300k homes losing 10-15k each MONTH, they'll be a whole lot more realistic as time goes on. Right now, even though the market is saturated with foreclosures and short sales, sellers still aren't being realistic. I'd speculate the median home will lose another 100k by the end of the year--right down to reality.

As far as nursing goes, I'm not an expert, but it seems to be rough now. Palomar Hospital in Escondido is doing massive layoffs and has a hiring freeze.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,792 times
I feel pretty safe being a nurse job-wise. I must get 5 phone calls a day from travel companies wanting to talk.
I will wait a bit longer, I guess, since it still all sounds very much out of my price range. I make less than 60k after being in a critical care specialty for 10yrs! That plus 2 kids and a husband won't go far in SD.
WAaaaaaah!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Maybe you will make more in SD than where you are now. Doesn't your husband work too?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
The prices are coming down rapidly. There are certainly houses around $200,000 now - - just depends on what you'll accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego