Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
SF is more like boston - dense - highly educated, lots of high-tech
SD is more like Florida - spread-out, suburban, laid back.

SF is wicked expensive, SD is a little more reasonable.

Visit both. I think SF is among the greatest cities in the country but am not a huge fan of the rest of the bay area.
Give me Florida or San Diego anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imabaythizz View Post
Hey man, im born and raised in sf. and i live in san diego in mission beach now.
Ur from boston? thats radical. I think i know what im talking about a little more than the ppl here taking that are just shoobies. U outta staters honestly should just stay out of california.
but anyways. First off man i would take the job u think is going to go further. IF either will do, then u need to think about what you want.

San francisco: The city is a great place, i think the best in the nation, the rest of the bay area is awsome. I moved out of the city to a place called Walnut Creek, with my parents when i was like 6 and then lived there for 14 more years. East bay is a great place, its expensive but its not too bad a commute. Sf people can be snobby, and the liberalness keeps them like not too open to meeting people. Were super chill dont get my wrong, the kids that is. The kids and the young ppl in SF are awsome, its the rich ass snobs from outta state that move to SF that ruin it. PLus i gotta say Sf isnt the same as it used to be... its liberal so its changing all the time

SD: i moved here last year and i live on the beach, like literally on the beach and i surf everyday and the weather is just like walnut creek without rainy season. BUt i did get bored of paradise but that might just be me, and i actually miss the bay area. I actuall want to leave california and try something new. BUt Sd is def laid back. cheaper, very CONSISTENT. Its conservative and that is whats great, san diego will always be san diego, and i believe it is the one city that has held on to the real CALIFORNIA feel. If u want the true cali feel ( surf, great beaches, easy girls (theyre like really easy for some reason down here) and the palm trees everywhere. go to SD. If you want to live in the best city in the nation and expand everything you thought u ever knew about life Sf has a way of changing people. Youll get variation in Sf, some rain and cold weather and many great 70 degree days too. beaches are more for looking not playing and surf is more intense. and its the rated best city in US to be single at by some lame ass forbes suck my balls kinda magazine but its definetly true. if you got money the girls they will love u.

its a tough one man. I think youll meet better poeple in SF. idk bro whatever, im not bored anymore so im going to cut, but hope it works out fr you.

big ups
NORCAL
i love this post for its honesty and overall accuracy, but you sound like eminem when he was 14.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 34,370 times
Love finding this post. I'm wrestling with the same decision, although when I make the move I'll probably just head out to California and take a few months to make the final decision, spending serious time in both places. I've visited both, and I was fond of San Diego but San Francisco tugged at my heart. I don't plan on working for a year or two and the relatively less expensive cost of living in San Diego is attractive.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 AM

36 posts, read 58,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Also, as pointed out, the areas surrounding SF are suprisingly gross- some of the worst suburbs of any major metropolitan area.
Since this thread has been revived, I'd like to comment and say that this is absolutely untrue. San Francisco has some of the most beautiful and exclusive suburbs in the entire nation. There are a few less than desirable areas but for the most part, Marin county, the Peninsula, and parts of the east bay are as good as it gets. They also feature some of the best weather, scenery, outdoor recreation, and proximity to city, ocean, and country. That is why the Bay area is one of the premier areas to live in.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
'I'd recommend San Diego b/c the shelf life of women in SF is pretty short."

That made me laugh. I don't associate SF with cute girls though.....OC/SD/LA yes, but SF seems more of a yuppie couple scene. The burbs there are bad. In fact, the only burbs I like there are further south like El Gatos, Pleasanton, etc. But those places are insane expensive.
It is Los Gatos and I lived there for 4 years.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
I have lived in both San Francisco and San Diego. I like them both very much but would choose San Diego as I find it easier to live in. A lot depends on what you like. San Diego has much better weather than San Francisco. There is a lot to do in either city. San Francisco is definitely much more expensive.

I disagree with those complaining about the areas around San Francisco. There are many beautiful nice areas to live all over the San Francisco Bay area.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 AM

36 posts, read 58,922 times
The weather in the city of San Francisco can be less than desirable at times, and quite variable depending on what part of the city you're in. But the charm of the city lies well beyond 365 days of perfect weather.

However, the weather down the Peninsula, once you've passed the fog belt, is outstanding and some of the best in the nation.

Last edited by cabombina; 10-03-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I've lived in southern CA my entire life, but I've visited SF & SD more than once. I like both places. They both seem to have just as many fun places to visit. Although I love cooler weather, I'm leaning toward San Diego.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izu1925 View Post
I got a job offer from both SD and SF. I am single and will be making about $100,000 a year. I am looking for a place to settle down, but somewhere in the middle of city, or close proximity to city.

While living in the east coast (Boston) for past 10 years, I only have made two short trips to CA. Can anyone give me some insight about both places?

I am totally clueless!!! Please anybody help me with making a right decision.
Thank you for all your help.
I have lived in both areas.

The main difference is that there are alot of six figure jobs in the Bay Area. In San Diego, they are few and far between, but they do exist.

Most people that work in SF live outside the city. You can find an affordable spot to live, but San Deigo will generally cost 30% less for something similar. Traffic in the Bay is also world class, so you will spend some time commuting.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
I have actually lived in both areas, I would choose San Diego if it were me, and Im a 34 y/o..People in SD seemed livlier and in a better mood than in San Francisco..Just something i noticed. Plenty of stuff to do in both cities, but the money would go farther in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego