Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 PM

40 posts, read 156,725 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My parents from Texas want to move out closer to me and family in San Diego (Scripps Ranch) and have asked me to give some advice on what areas they may like, so I'm looking for a little help from the forum. They enjoy gardening, especially growing fruit trees. Anywhere within 40 minutes of N. San Diego would work. Does anybody know where you can get some property (5 acres+) for $300k-1M, with good soil, low population density, and friendly people? They don't care for suburbia too much, being from a smaller (15,000 population) town in Texas.

I've heard Ramona is nice ... concerned it may be a little deserty for them, but I have never been so I cant say.

I checked out Vista and I liked the avocado groves in the area. That is some property they would consider picking up.

Anywhere else I should be considering?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
I'd encourage you to have them take a look at Fallbrook and also Rainbow (which I don't think is technically a city but more of an "area"). Fallbrook produces so many hard-to-grow fruits including tons of avocados. It's pretty rural and the weather is really nice. We lived there, but moved to Temecula for better schools and convenience. It was really nice, though. I think your parents would love it!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM

43 posts, read 198,639 times
My parents also retired to Fallbrook about 10 years ago and they absolutely love it there. They have about an acre.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 PM

40 posts, read 156,725 times
Cool. I hadn't considered Fallbrook before, but it sounds nice. Any specific areas within Fallbrook they should consider?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:48 AM

53 posts, read 375,046 times
The east side of Fallbrook, in Gird Valley, is terrific. Do take a look.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
It used to be inland north county especially for citrus and avocados but due to the drought and the long term redirection of water from agricultural to urban use many farmers are cutting down their orchards. There isn't enough water to go around.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
I would second Vista or Fallbrook. What about some of the areas a little inland from where you are looking?

I know Oredin says farmers are cutting down their orchards, that may be true but I don't think your parents are planning on producing enough fruit and veggies for the entire state of Ca. It sounds more to me like, they want some trees more as a hobby.

Good luck to them.

Nita

Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 AM

You may do well if you move higher up into the mountains where there is more natural rain fall. They get over 120" per year in Cuyamaca and the climate is good for cold weather fruits such as apples and pears. Areas to look would be Julian, Ramona, and any of the higher altitude places of the county. The San Pasqual Valley is an agricultural preserve but the land prices are very high there.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would second Vista or Fallbrook. What about some of the areas a little inland from where you are looking?

I know Oredin says farmers are cutting down their orchards, that may be true but I don't think your parents are planning on producing enough fruit and veggies for the entire state of Ca. It sounds more to me like, they want some trees more as a hobby.

Good luck to them.

Nita
The main reason farmers are cutting down orchards is because there is not enough water for all the trees. If you let them slowly die then that invites pests and disease to take root so they cut down the trees before that can happen so that the remainder do not become infected with blight or pests.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,607 times
Owning land in San Diego County is an adventure to be sure. Let me tell some factors...1) if you buy agricultural land it must have been farmed for five of the previous seven years, or you will need a permit to do so. Permit is not a simple matter; you may need a biological study that can cost several thousand dollars, or they may not ask for anything...go figure. Brushing requires another permit, more studies and fees, and turning over soils requires still more fees and decretionary permits. 2) you will need a viable water source. MWD prices are high, and the water is being cut by 1/3 as of this writing. You might need a well, but it might be difficult to find land with an existing well on it. Having a well drilled is anywhere between $10-$15 per foot drilled and requires additional costs of casing, liner, pump, tank, piping, electric to the site, dozer work to get drill truck to location, etc. Well drillers are notorious liars and make money drilling holes. They have no obligation to provide you a source of water and in fact will generally convince you to drill on an unlikely source or drill to 1000 feet. This is patently ridiculous as most water is around 400-600 in groups of broken strata called aquifers. Most well drillers can not possibly identify this location and in fact are barred from specifiying a location by law, so they suggest a water witcher. Both of these occupations are a license to steal and prey upon the landowners ignorance and desperation to fulfill thier dreams. 3) Growing fruit trees may be for fun or for profit; be sure that the road allows a subcontractor to drive to the location and that the road will support the truck weight or traffic. Many private roads are substandard and are not suitable, or you may wind up with damage claims or lawsuits for encumbering the easement beyond its intended use.

San Diego County does not comply with and will not compel private road communities to address road construction issues, if the road was installed prior to 1991, including fire access issues. Hard to believe. Make sure you conduct extreme due diligence before engaging in land or farming in San Diego County, nothing is as stated or as it seems....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego