Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM

32 posts, read 120,539 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have searched many postings, and want to see what anyone else thought.

I am moving to San Diego next week, and am looking for an area to call home. So far I have: Del Mar, Encintas, Cardiff, La Jolla, Carmel Valley, Scripps Ranch.

Which areas would best fit my lifestyle?

I am 30, single, female, business professional, like socializing with intelligent people ( i have a couple degrees), like quietness, outdoor activities are good, and above everything safety is a big issue for me.

I lived in NYC before, and was able to pinpoint areas after living there a while i.e. Williamsburg Brooklyn - artsy, Upper East Side, NYC - business professionals.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM

26 posts, read 166,616 times
All of these areas are generally quiet, affluent and safe. What part of the city/county would you be working? Traffic/commute will be a consideration. Based on the areas mentioned, budget will not.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will be working from home, but will eventually be working probably in the sorrento valley area.

I have a car, but I am totally open to public transportation (if it is quicker and reliable)

Old 12-06-2008, 10:06 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
There's certainly nothing wrong with Solana Beach, if you can afford it. There are a good number of younger professionals in the city. Technology, medical research, workers in those sorts of fields. Encinitas is also very nice, but very family oriented. Cardiff by the Sea, which you mentioned, is a community in Encinitas, and it has a very beachy, laid back vibe. It sure isn't New York City!! But if you're willing to hang out with a fair number of people wearing flip flops and board shorts, who call in sick to work when the surf if up, then you might like it. Cardiff might suit you better than the rest of Encinitas (Village Park, Olivenhain, etc.), which tend to be families, soccer games, etc. Del Mar, again, very nice. Pricey too. Carmel Valley is again family oriented, not a whole lot of coummunity out there, but it's closest to Sorrento Valley. Overall, I'd say you've identified some of the nicest cities and communities in San Diego County. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM

171 posts, read 588,561 times
The La jolla area is very nice and has many art galleries and restaurants. In fact, we would go on the La Jolla Art Walk every year when we lived in University City.

Used to go to the children's cove all the time before the seals came.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

How far would the commute be from encinitas/solano beach to sorrento valley? In a car or by public transportation

So, do the younger business professionals (in their late 20s to early 30s) live only near the beach, and more inland is families? I def. dont want to live near too many kids if possible. (I did that in my last apartment, and it was very noisy!)

Would i be able to ride a bike to do shopping? I have a car, but i also like to bike.

How is the University City Area? If it is all students, than I prob. would feel too old

Is there any great discount shopping too? In NYC, for discount designer stuff I went to Century 21, and for cheap, fresh fruits and veggies, I went to 3 guys from brooklyn

Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM

University City is a bit further from the beach (La Jolla). It is a mix of students and professionals. UTC and La Jolla Village Square are there for shopping and UTC has become more upscale than it used to be.

If I could afford to move back to that area I would. Its close enough to the beach (4 or so miles), so bicycling there is possible. One great thing about San Diego is there are dedicated bike lanes everywhere (Which are not available here in Atlanta) so it is definitely accessible by bike.

I'm not saying University city is the best match for you, but it has a lot of options. Towards the higher end of housing you probably wouldn't be dealing with a lot of students and it isn't really known as a family neighborhood. Clairemont is there for that.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttacup79 View Post
Thanks so much for the info!

How far would the commute be from encinitas/solano beach to sorrento valley? In a car or by public transportation

So, do the younger business professionals (in their late 20s to early 30s) live only near the beach, and more inland is families? I def. dont want to live near too many kids if possible. (I did that in my last apartment, and it was very noisy!)

Would i be able to ride a bike to do shopping? I have a car, but i also like to bike.

How is the University City Area? If it is all students, than I prob. would feel too old

Is there any great discount shopping too? In NYC, for discount designer stuff I went to Century 21, and for cheap, fresh fruits and veggies, I went to 3 guys from brooklyn
The commute from Solana Beach to Sorrento Valley is about 15 minutes, depending on traffic of course. From Encinitas, again depending on traffic, add 10-15 minutes. But again, traffic can be bad during rush hour. There would be the Coaster commuter train option. There are stations in Encinitas, Solana Beach, and Sorrento Valley.
There are some beach rentals and condos in Solana Beach, mostly where Lomas Santa Fe dead ends at the ocean, but a lot of that area is either homeowners or very pricey rentals. Like thousands of dollars a month pricey. But as you go inland a bit, there are more "affordable" rentals, and you're still a long walk or short bike ride/drive to the beach.
North County is very family oriented. So avoiding children may be a challenge.
I think you might enjoy Cardiff or downtown Encinitas better than Solana Beach. Younger vibe, more shopping and nightlife. And just 5-10 minutes north of Solana Beach.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Wow! thanks again for all that great information! This is so helpful!

Are there any areas in Encinitas to avoid?

Any bargain shopping around Encinitas? Trying to find cheaper grocery stores, discount designer

Any other websites to find rentals besides craigslist, and apartment buildings' websites?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 PM

apartments.com
forrent.com

Craigslist is one of the better ones, but watch out for scams. The old saying is right, if its too good to be true...

Remember to check apartmentratings.com to see the complaints. Remember, though most people go to these sites to complain rather than give positive comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego