Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM

178 posts, read 602,008 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Phoenix with my husband and 4 children. My husband is an executive at a large company here and I am a graduate student. After almost 20 years of sprawl and smog, we are eager to leave. We are hoping to move to the Pacific Coast. We have looked at every place from Seattle to San Diego, the latter being our preference. I like SD but I love smaller towns like San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara.

We are cruising around on this site trying to get a feel for different areas, neighborhoods, etc. Most important is a good career opportunity though. My husband is currently employed but I am doing as much research on line as I can. We are especially interested to know how various industries/job opportunities are changing in the San Diego area. He is looking at larger companies, including the NFL.

Any info about the executive job climate or about specific industries/companies is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM

81 posts, read 367,410 times
Well I see you like small towns, so if I were you I would consider the central coast, Not San Diego, Maybe Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, or Avila Beach, Santa Barbra is great two but I would not pick it to raise a family, not that its bad just lots of college students live there. If you wanna live near Los Angeles you can look in Ventura County But Not Reccomended Because of all the Crime and My Friend moved out there to Port Hummene and her daughter attented a school in Oxnard and she was the on White girl there and all the kids spit on her as she walked down the halls I would go with Avila or Pismo because they are within 10 miles of SLO (San Lu Obispo)

Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Outside of CA's major cities, career opportunities at all levels are very limited. If your husband's position is secure enough to allow you to move to one of these smaller cities, you will find them to be very enjoyable places. However realize that if he loses his job you will face the likely prospect of having to move away to find work.

The job market in CA is very weak right now, although it is mostly concentrated in the construction and finance sectors. San Diego is hit particularly hard because homebuilding is such a major industry here.

Most executives live in suburban settings around San Diego, LA, and San Jose.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
The conflict here, as I see it, is the apparent disconnect between you and your husband's lines of work and your desires to live in a "smaller town" like SLO or SB. Not a lot of executive/corporate jobs in quaint small towns. Somethings gotta give. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego