Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times

Advertisements

Need to be at Century City LA by 11am on Monday, what time would I leave Mission Bay, right near the 5

Google Maps tells me it's 2h13min 130 miles (via I-5N and I-405) without traffic, also how do those tolls work?

Just need to know how bad traffic is, I realize there are many threads that discuss it, but the ones I read were referring to earlier times... is 3 hours enough time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:32 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Need to be at Century City LA by 11am on Monday, what time would I leave Mission Bay, right near the 5

Google Maps tells me it's 2h13min 130 miles (via I-5N and I-405) without traffic, also how do those tolls work?

Just need to know how bad traffic is, I realize there are many threads that discuss it, but the ones I read were referring to earlier times... is 3 hours enough time?

There wouldn't be any tolls unless you take the toll road Hwy 73 that connects 5 to 405 but you don't need to take it. You can pay online after the trip. There are no longer tool booths open.

3 hours seems like not near enough time. You'll likely hit traffic in San Diego, OC, and LA.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:41 PM

69 posts, read 76,356 times
If I were you, I would leave at 5AM and go to a restaurant for breakfast.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGSD View Post
Not too much of an exaggeration. I wouldn't leave anytime past 6am if you really need to be there on time. Anytime after six you are going to hit traffic in SD, OC and LA. If you leave before six you should at least be able to avoid SD and OC traffic. You'll never avoid LA traffic though...never. Three hours is not enough time and never will be enough time no matter what time of day you are going.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
Quote:
is 3 hours enough time?
No.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:56 AM

69 posts, read 76,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Not too much of an exaggeration. I wouldn't leave anytime past 6am if you really need to be there on time. Anytime after six you are going to hit traffic in SD, OC and LA. If you leave before six you should at least be able to avoid SD and OC traffic. You'll never avoid LA traffic though...never. Three hours is not enough time and never will be enough time no matter what time of day you are going.
LOL yeah I wasn't kidding. I've do the LA to SD and SD to LA drive many times. Once in awhile I would have to drive to SD and be there by 9AM so I left at 4AM and just got there early and had breakfast at Denny's and had my laptop so went to Starbuck's for wifi.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGSD View Post
I agree, because traffic along that route will be horrible as the rush hour nears. Allowing plenty of time seems like the best thing to do.

Anticipate a possible delay at the San Clemente Border Patrol Checkpoint.

Also, taking the 73 Toll might ease the traffic pain a bit. It's simple, you just drive through and go online within 5 days to pay your toll.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Much just depends on if there is an accident. Also, it's a major pain in the butt when border patrol does the vehicle checks at the check-point near San Clemente. That can REALLY slow things down.

I have an office in Santa Monica and was going up weekly for a while and just horrible. I agree with the others, I'd leave earlier and do NOT trust Google Maps as it's worthless if there is an accident, etc.

If you have to make that commute often, just go online to register your license plate at https://www.thetollroads.com
Much easier in case you forget later.

I go up and able to ride in the HOV lane as I have an electric vehicle and even then it can take a while with traffic. I'd also recommend using the mobile App, Waze as it is really great at letting you know of any accidents, police radar, etc.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Does it make much of a difference that there was a Charger's game today?

I'm hoping to leave at 6am, get there within 5 hours

Old 09-13-2015, 08:57 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Does it make much of a difference that there was a Charger's game today?

I'm hoping to leave at 6am, get there within 5 hours

It might be a bit busier with some people coming down for the game. I'm not sure how many people come down for the game. You should be fine leaving at 6 AM to make it there by 11 AM. Even with traffic that should be more than enough time. 3 hours I'd say wasn't giving yourself enough time but 5 hours is a good cushion.

I hate, hate, hate LA traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego