Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,282 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Thinking of getting a flight to San Diego this coming Tuesday if I can at all make it. My housing there is still being worked out and even though one place looks real good...I like to have a back up plan, just in case.

Given that I have never been to San Diego before and don't know my way around and may not be able to make my way to my housing the night I arrive (my flight will likely arrive around 9:00 PM)...does anyone know if it is possible to lay down on a bench somewhere at the airport and get some sleep?

I can run a cable through my suitcases and around my arm so that my stuff can't get stolen as easily.

I know this all sounds crazy...but any comments on why I shouldn't do this aside...I am interested in finding out about the likelihood of sleeping my first night at the airport itself.

I am willing to risk my first nights sleep to get to San Diego (warmer weather actually). The next day I can put my stuff into a storage unit and then focus on finding someplace to sleep elsewhere (if the housing I am working out does not in fact pan out).

There are several other places where I can potentially stay but it's looking like I can trade some computer work (which I am very skilled at) in exchange for a place to crash and that would be best if I can work that out so that I don't put out any up front cash until I get situated work-wise.

Any input, specifically about the airport and the likelihood of being able to get some sleep there in a seat or bench would be appreciated.

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
I suspect that police will try to kick you out of the airport if you try to sleep there. The bananna bungalow offers rooms for only $15 dollars this time a year for people from out of the country. I think this is probably a better option.

Banana Bungalow Hostels USA - Hollywood, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Miami Beach, Waikiki-Hawaii and New York

Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i've slept in an airport before, it was in Europe though. I'm not sure if you would be given a hard time by the authorities here in the states. However, considering the weather back east, there are bound to be other stranded passengers in the airport looking for a free place to sleep, especially considering what time of the year it is.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Unless you were with a group of stranded travelers you will most likely be kicked out of the airport.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 8,851 times
Default sleep on the couch benches at night

They let you sleep in the coffee place on the couched benches. Ask them first. Its comfy and safe. Its a very tiny airport.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times
Just my two cents and is no way intended to be mean but ... if you are coming to San Diego to live and starting off by skimping on a hotel room when you don't have longer term accomodations tied down, then this city may really not be a place for you.

I understand saving whenever and however you can, but you're pretty much going to be homeless the moment you set foot here and that is not a good start. This city is expensive and not being able to afford a night or two in a motel 6 or other more affordable accomodations may tell you that you will be struggle to live here.

That being said, the airport is pretty small and is pretty desolete after 10pm. You will be noticed and most likely questioned as to what your doing sleeping at the airport. Unless you can show you have a ticket for a flight in the morning, or an airline rep can vouche for you, you most likely will be asked to leave or face trespassing charges. You may very well find yourself in a free jail cell.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Zombie thread from 2008, eight years ago.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
LOL...wonder if he found a place to crash yet?

Old 08-13-2015, 11:33 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...wonder if he found a place to crash yet?
Actually, he has. I met him one day when I was on the bus a few years ago, when I was on the way to SDSU. I wonder why people dredge up these zombie threads..........

Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
carlos123, one of the more interesting cats on cd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego