Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I was born in Long Beach, CA
Raised outside Miami, FL.
Live in SoCal now.
After living in both for long periods, they are both very much the same IMO.

Whoever said SoCal is more diverse than SoFla is very wrong. South Florida has a much larger European and Latin American population, as well as Black people from all over the place.

While SoCal has Asian and Mexican..and of course White.

Also like someone has already mentioned SoFla has a much larger middle class and the rich come from all over the place, many rich are hispanic unlike California, where majority of the rich are white or asian.

I think the decision of SoFla vs SoCal comes down to 2 things:

cost vs what kind of outdoor activities you like.

1) If you like the beach, tan bodies, can you stand the humidity, like more of a Euro/Latin influence.
Then Florida is probably better for you and you will pay less.
2) If you like some beach but also Mountains, hiking, mountain biking, camping, can stand the cold, like more of an Asian/Mexican influence. Then California is way better than FL and you will definitely pay a lot more for it.
Mach

I agree with everything but only as it applies to San Diego. You kept referring to "SoCal". I really like the Euro\ Latin feel to Miami, in part because it reminds me of Los Angeles. I feel right at home in Miami & since I grow palm trees I love visiting the Fairchild Botanical garden & hang out in nearby Coconut Grove. I can even handle Miami in summer but couldn't happily live there because of the intense humidity. LA is probably the only city in California to have the most in common with Miami due to truly international communities. But Europeans tend to vacation in Miami & live in LA [if they can afford it]. Persians\ India\ Armenians\ Russians\ all Asian groupings\ large Jewish community among Anglos & Latinos. There are more British-born people in LA than anywhere else in the nation.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,507,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Mach

I agree with everything but only as it applies to San Diego. You kept referring to "SoCal". I really like the Euro\ Latin feel to Miami, in part because it reminds me of Los Angeles. I feel right at home in Miami & since I grow palm trees I love visiting the Fairchild Botanical garden & hang out in nearby Coconut Grove. I can even handle Miami in summer but couldn't happily live there because of the intense humidity. LA is probably the only city in California to have the most in common with Miami due to truly international communities. But Europeans tend to vacation in Miami & live in LA [if they can afford it]. Persians\ India\ Armenians\ Russians\ all Asian groupings\ large Jewish community among Anglos & Latinos. There are more British-born people in LA than anywhere else in the nation.
Yes I am definitely talking all of SoCal vs all of SoFla...Miami and L.A. will throw both off a little.

L.A. is definitely diverse, its "ultra rich/ultra poor" society turns a lot of normal people off.

I guess I would say there are more middle class Euros and Latin Americans in South Florida than in all of SoCal. It would be interesting to see a count.

Comparing the "norm" of both places (what a normal middle class person would see):
1) The "norm" of SoFla I would say is more diverse than the "norm" of SoCal.
2) I also would say the "norm" of SoCal is just as, if not more conservative "Republican" than the norm of SoFla.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-13-2009 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM

669 posts, read 1,613,168 times
I think SD if 10x more famliy friendly than South FL.

Did anyone address that crime in South FL and here is 10x worse?

Both places are great for young people- but SD has a far better working class (for families)

Oh and schools... SD is much better, that includes colleges.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post

Both places are great for young people- but SD has a far better working class (for families)

Seriously, Californians need to stop with this, CA is not better than FL by 10x any longer...

For Florida; Wellington and Weston are some of the most family friendly areas in the nation.

Schools? Actually I think Florida is 29th and CA is 47th in the nation for public school ranking.
http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank06.htm

I will agree colleges are better in SoCal...but seriously how many Americans go to UCI? University of China Irvine .

Last edited by Mach50; 01-13-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 AM

546 posts, read 2,148,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post

In San Diego? What college or university are you comparing in San Diego the is "much better" to South Florida? There's the University of Miami, ranked #52 in US News , Florida International University (whose law school is ranked #1 in the State for bar passing ratings) , Nova Southeastern University and Barry University which also have law schools and pharmacy schools.

Much better? I'm not saying San Diego has bad colleges and South Florida is equivalent to Boston/Chicago/NY, but you're kidding yourself.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times
Quote:
Yes I am definitely talking all of SoCal vs all of SoFla...Miami and L.A. will throw both off a little.

L.A. is definitely diverse, its "ultra rich/ultra poor" society turns a lot of normal people off.

I guess I would say there are more middle class Euros and Latin Americans in South Florida than in all of SoCal. It would be interesting to see a count.

Comparing the "norm" of both places (what a normal middle class person would see):
1) The "norm" of SoFla I would say is more diverse than the "norm" of SoCal.
2) I also would say the "norm" of SoCal is just as, if not more conservative "Republican" than the norm of SoFla.
Mach

You have lived in SoFlorida where I have only visited several times so I will yield to your opinion. But the suburban areas & even Fort Lauderdale always seem so "middle America" [not that that is bad]. When in Miami we head for South Beach & stay there or Pembroke Pines [w/ friends]. There is nothing like South Beach [except Waikiki in Honolulu or Cancun] in the U.S. & the nightlife is fun.

Los Angeles IS SoCal ! Not being very modest am I? LA is where most people live in SoCal population wise & why California is Democratic [along with the Bay Area]. The Republicans in Orange county are like the Republicans in Palm Beach county but Miami's size & influence on Florida is insignificant compared to Los Angeles' overwhelming presence on California & the nation\ world. Maybe someone will do a goggle search on ethnicities in both areas.

But since this is a thread on San Diego & Palm Beach then I think San Diego has more going for it than Florida cities.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Mach

You have lived in SoFlorida where I have only visited several times so I will yield to your opinion. But the suburban areas & even Fort Lauderdale always seem so "middle America" [not that that is bad]. When in Miami we head for South Beach & stay there or Pembroke Pines [w/ friends]. There is nothing like South Beach [except Waikiki in Honolulu or Cancun] in the U.S. & the nightlife is fun.

Los Angeles IS SoCal ! Not being very modest am I? LA is where most people live in SoCal population wise & why California is Democratic [along with the Bay Area]. The Republicans in Orange county are like the Republicans in Palm Beach county but Miami's size & influence on Florida is insignificant compared to Los Angeles' overwhelming presence on California & the nation\ world. Maybe someone will do a goggle search on ethnicities in both areas.

But since this is a thread on San Diego & Palm Beach then I think San Diego has more going for it than Florida cities.
I agree with you, but many prefer Palm Beach. Of course if the OP posts this same thread in FL forums, people will be more biased to FL. I am just trying to be fair and say that both areas are pretty even, it just depends on personal preference.

When in CA: I miss Florida's warm water, sex appeal, boating, rain showers, green grass and Cuban restaurants over looking the Ocean.

When in FL: I miss California's cool breezes, no bugs, beautiful mountains , hiking, camping and Mexican food.

There are great things about both. I definitely miss having NO STATE TAX in FL .

Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Of course if the OP posts this same thread in FL forums, people will be more biased to FL.
Hmm. Do you really think so? The few times I've visited the Miami forum, the majority of posts seem to be about how awful South Florida is.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,682,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hmm. Do you really think so? The few times I've visited the Miami forum, the majority of posts seem to be about how awful South Florida is.
I remember this one poster a while back who was deciding between Coral Gables and San Diego and posted the same thread in the SD and Miami forums, the majority of people in the Miami forum told her to move to San Diego as well. I want to move to South Florida just for a change and many told me to stay where I am. But considering the OP's preferences, SoFla seems better.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I remember this one poster a while back who was deciding between Coral Gables and San Diego and posted the same thread in the SD and Miami forums, the majority of people in the Miami forum told her to move to San Diego as well. I want to move to South Florida just for a change and many told me to stay where I am. But considering the OP's preferences, SoFla seems better.
I was in Miami for a few days last May. As much as I wanted to like it, the humidity levels ruined any chance of enjoying it. Even in a house or a car with the air conditioner on full blast, it still felt muggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego