Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
La Jolla and Del Mar aren't conservative.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while. Don't make me pull out the map showing how people voted in the county 6 weeks ago! :lol:

The fact is both of those areas are upper class fairly conservative areas but not but not completely ready to crawl back into a cave conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Don't make me pull out the map showing how people voted in the county 6 weeks ago! :lol:
Please do pull out the map. I, too, have the impression that Del Mar and La Jolla are liberal-leaning areas.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
Quote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while. Don't make me pull out the map showing how people voted in the county 6 weeks ago! :lol:

The fact is both of those areas are upper class fairly conservative areas but not but not completely ready to crawl back into a cave conservative.
It is a fact that Del Mar and Solana Beach are liberal and La Jolla is moderate to liberal. And even Coronado is not nearly as conservative as people think. Conservative rich folks live in Rancho Santa Fe, Olivenhain, and Poway.

Very crudely, I can correlate "conservativeness" with having servants. A conservative person is more likely to buy a much bigger house than he/she can maintain on his own, and then hire a bunch of low-wage workers - gardener, maid, nanny, etc. A liberal person might buy a smaller house and pay extra for things like central location and ocean view. When your lifestyle depends on hiring lower class people to take care of your surroundings, you're much more likely to oppose government redistribution of wealth.

Last edited by esmith143; 01-14-2009 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,412 times
How about Carlsbad guys? What do you think of that area?

Also, I've noticed a good number of people in SD to be very superficial (especially women). Is that everywhere or just certain areas?. It doesn't bother me that much, but I'd rather be around more down to earth people.

One more thing, when you guys mean conservative, does that also include being racist. I'm sorry if that sounds ignorant. I'm from the east coast and here you have the conservatives who are racists/prejudiced and conservatives who are conservatives because they believe in good family values.

Thanks again

Last edited by julijuli811; 01-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add "one more thing"

Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 AM

105 posts, read 336,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Someone with 3 million for a home is asking a message board where to live?

Seems a little bizarre.

I was beginning to think I was the only one that found it odd...would think someone with that budget would more resourceful or atleast have more common sense (can afford 98% of homes in America w/that budget).

Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Please do pull out the map. I, too, have the impression that Del Mar and La Jolla are liberal-leaning areas.
SignOnSanDiego.com | The San Diego Union-Tribune | November 2008 Election Results by Precinct

That's an interactive map of election results for the entire county. As you can see La Jolla did vote for Obama over McCain after voting for Bush both times but the split was 49.14 to 48.78 for McCain which was much closer then the county as a whole (which flipped Democratic for the first time in decades). There are similar numbers for Del Mar. The Congressional districts, like all districts in California, are pretty much gerrymandered so Congressional races aren't all that representative. The good news is voters have decided to remove redistricting powers from the state house and put it into a nonpartisan body but the bad news is redistricting (meaning ungerrymandering all the districts) won't happen until around 2012.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM

46 posts, read 215,874 times
I am from the East Coast and when we say conservative we mean the following....not buying a million dollar home even though we can because we are conservative with our money and want to fully fund our kids college education without them having to come out with loans, conservative with our education choices and colleges we send our kids to, conservative with the way we dress, conservative with letting our children have privileges and keeping a tight rein on them and their friends and activities, conservative with the cars we drive etc. In the East Coast, people with real money hardly ever show it.....whereas in So Cal it APPEARS that everyone has money. Everyone here buys up to a nice home/area as soon as they can. In the East people buy one house and live in it for 30 plus years.............

What is everyone's definition of conservativeness in So Cal? I'm curious......because I don't think it is just if someone is a democrat or republican or am I wrong?

In the area I am from people are extremely conservative but there are more Democrats then Republicans..........

Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
In California, "conservative" usually means the person is most likely older, republican, against illegal immigration and supports building a fence along the border, voted for Prop. 8 (meaning against same-sec marriage) and Christian.
I know these are just generalizations, but I think they're pretty accurate.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
SignOnSanDiego.com | The San Diego Union-Tribune | November 2008 Election Results by Precinct

That's an interactive map of election results for the entire county. As you can see La Jolla did vote for Obama over McCain after voting for Bush both times but the split was 49.14 to 48.78 for McCain
But that's just one little precinct that you're looking at, isn't it? From what I could tell, it looked like the La Jolla area was clearly for Obama.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
One way to browse many San Diego neighborhoods from your computer is using Google Maps.

They have a "street view" option which lets you see, up close, street level images of the neighborhoods, as if you were viewing them from your car window.

It might give you an idea of what the neighborhoods look like before going to see them in person.

You can see what kind of shopping, recreational facilities, playgrounds, etc. will be nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego