Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 32,939 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or do the San Diego posts seem to be more polite and civil than many of the other cities' threads? Sure, there are the cranky nay-sayers, and the people who hate SD and want to leave, but compared to the goings-on that I read of in many of the other forums, the SD forum is downright peaceful! Also, the 'Images of San Diego' thread is larger, and has far better photos that in any of the other city images threads that I have seen so far. Oh well, maybe I'm just biased. Interested in what others have to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
I blame Sassburto because every time I get my dander up he threatens to moderate me.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Every section of this forum has it's own sort of identity, and not every city section has a photo thread or anything like that. So you'll always notices differences from one section to the next, this is not the most heavily active section but there are regulars here who are always willing to help. We definitely appreciate the compliments.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
I think it's definitely nicer and more civil. Some reasons, perhaps:

San Diego constantly makes the lists of places that people would most like to live.

The city was ranked as one of the top 10 "polite cities" a few years ago.

There's a general laid-back feeling that I get when I'm there. It's almost feels too laid-back sometimes. I understand why some say that San Diego is boring.

It's not a politically militant city, either on the left or on the right.

I posted a thread recently that showed San Diego ranked as the 8th least stressful metro area out of the 50 largest metro areas in the U.S. Most here agreed with the ranking.

I posted another thread recently that showed San Diego ranked as one of the least "caffeinated cities" in the U.S.

Honestly, it's hard to be angry or rude when you're in this type of environment. I'm in Palm Springs. It's similar. Everybody's so nice.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-16-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Well I do have to delete a couple dozen posts a week at least.... but most of the people on this forum are pretty friendly and helpful!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Well I do have to delete a couple dozen posts a week at least.... but most of the people on this forum are pretty friendly and helpful!
Yeah, including some of mine, probably!

But yes, I do think the SD people are more civil. The few times I've looked at the San Francisco forum, it feels like it confirms some of the stereotypes: A lot of angry liberals (I'm a liberal, but not an angry one) and people who think all of SoCal is the same - and not in a good way.

Look at the Miami forum and you'd think that Miami is a third-world country; of course, some already do believe that. L.A. is sometimes seen that way too.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
That's the defining quality of San Diego right there... everything is naturally a bit more moderate and "toned down" compared to many other places.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 PM

24 posts, read 91,914 times
Quote:
Is it just me or do the San Diego posts seem to be more polite and civil than many of the other cities' threads?
I was thinking the exact same thing! Also, it seems that most who do complain are highly informed and educated on the issues they are complaining about (taxes, economy, etc.) I recently completed a job search all over the country and found that the "tone" of the forums for each area did somewhat reflect the communities. I also LOVE the photo thread - what a great representation of your city!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Yeah we got a fairly good little group here, Sass does a decent job at keeping it civil and people in line, including myself. I can get a little aggro and defensive sometimes when I see negative rants or if debating a sensitive/contentious issue. Sometimes I'm a little too blunt and can come off as an a-hole but I just hope no one takes it too personal, its just my opinion and I'm very straight forward. San Diego is a really pleasant place to live overall and maybe that is just reflected on here somewhat. I think the atmosphere and vibe keeps me more relaxed and laid back than I might be in other places.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 AM

91 posts, read 416,899 times
Yes, people here are just more polite in general, less argumentative, don't expect the worst from other folks.
At work the other day (public office), a customer got my attention by yelling "hey!" and whistling as if I were a dog. There really are parts of the country where this would not faze the other customers in the least (I've worked there). But this seems to be very unusual behavior for San Diegans. The customers who heard her looked at her with surprise and I overheard a man comment, "Someone thinks she's real important!" I'm guessing she was a transplant from elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego