Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,437 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any church group or Christians doing street preaching in San Diego?

I know that some might almost take offense at even the thought of that but...I thought I would ask on the San Diego forum since the religious forum here has people from all over the world who might have no clue about whether this is done in San Diego.

A while back I was talking to someone on a trolley who told me that it is frequently done here but I did not think to ask them any more details at the time so if anyone knows about this...where it's done, who does it, even your impression of what is actually done, that type of thing...I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Carlos

Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 AM

52 posts, read 174,216 times
Carlos,

I have a cousin in SD who has gone street preaching several times. I also have an uncle who is a pastor there. I can recommend you to some churches, depending on what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, many people who are against street preaching are Christians. If they read their Bibles, they would know that Jesus and the Apostles did plenty of street preaching. I have not tried it myself, but I believe it is a valid method of delivering a message, provided you do it in the right context with the right attitude. A lot of street preachers are just obnoxious.

Message me if you want.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM

105 posts, read 336,310 times
Matthew 7:1-2

1 - Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 - For with that judgement ye judge, re shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM

171 posts, read 588,218 times
Carlos,
Check out the team at evangelismteam.com They are affiliated with Kirk Cameron's Way of the Master ministry. I listen to their radio podcast (you can listen too ..they are on itunes under way of the master radio).

They are doing a great service in spreading the gospel. The evangelismteam.com people is based in Southern California and can set you up with people or groups that can aid you in your quest. They have videos you can watch. They do a lot of work at Mesa College and other colleges around town.

Street preaching isn't about us judging people. Its about using God's law as a mirror. Trying to get people to see themselves by God's standard and not by our own. The judging is done by the person to hears the word of God.

Good luck to you Carlos. SoCal isn't an easy place to open air preach

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Default With all due respect!

Carlos,

With all due respect it is not correct to impose your beliefs or your will upon anyone. If people want to hear what you have to say about your beliefs then they will ask if they really want to know. It is wrong to go about shouting your religious beliefs upon people who might find it absolutely offensive and very oppressive. People should not force their beliefs upon others through street preaching. Buddhist followers are not going to be converted by your words or even moved by them. Nor are Hindus, Muslims or atheists. Religion is a personal matter and if others want to learn about yours or anyone's religious views then wait until they ask you vs. street preaching. I know you are conditioned by your religion to think this is your duty but believe me it is NOT! Leave people alone when it comes to what they want to believe unless they are lost and asking for your advice.

Peace

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 PM

171 posts, read 588,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldupuy View Post
I know you are conditioned by your religion to think this is your duty but believe me it is NOT!
Open air preaching is not popular. It wasn't popular when Jesus was doing it either. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't right for us to do.

As far as being "conditioned" ... You've got to realize that being a follower of Christ isn't just going to church on Sunday... saying grace before a meal. Its about a complete life change with the realization that we are here to be God's hands and feet on this earth.

I respect your opinion, but being a follower of Jesus isn't just a hobby.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
I'm Agnostic, and I see nothing wrong with street preaching.

If I want to stop and listen, I can. If not, I just walk past.

Sometimes the preachers are entertaining, even though I'm not into their religion.

I occasionally see them do it on the boardwalk at Mission Beach near The Wave House.

I also sometimes see them in the vicinity of Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach.

The only thing I don't enjoy is when they knock on my front door. That is a little too invasive, and forces me to interact with them.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,467 times
The only thing I have seen thus far was someone handing out gospel tracts at Balboa Park. He seemed to be doing it on his own time and not affiliated with any groups. He said there are a few others and that they were hoping more would get involved.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 PM

105 posts, read 338,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
Open air preaching is not popular. It wasn't popular when Jesus was doing it either. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't right for us to do.

As far as being "conditioned" ... You've got to realize that being a follower of Christ isn't just going to church on Sunday... saying grace before a meal. Its about a complete life change with the realization that we are here to be God's hands and feet on this earth.

I'm glad you made this point before I had a chance because last time I did, some kid behind a keyboard called me names and got an otherwise very interesting thread permanently closed (sorry Carlos). I'm not even religious and I agree with your above statements 100%. Unfortunately, most of the people buying into all this PC bull**** are not old enough to remember a time when our Constitution was not routinely @#*&ed on. I can think of a lot more 'oppressive' things happening on city streets than open air preaching. Go tell a drug dealer to stop dealing drugs. Oh wait you can't...they don't hang out on forums.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Default however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post

"Its about a complete life change with the realization that we are here to be God's hands and feet on this earth".

This is fine as is being a Buddhist or any other religious follower...however keep it to yourself unless someone really wants to learn from you...that is all I am saying. You are conditioned to believe in what you choose as your religious beliefs. I am sure that if you were born and raised in a strict Muslim society you would most likely be a Muslim and conditioned to believe in what Muslims believe. For most their religion is as accidental as the country they were born in as well as their first religious conditionings. Nothing about a hobby at all.

No harm meant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: