Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,749 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am actually considering to move to SD. Originally from san jose,ca. Currently living in washington state. I'm graduating cosmetology soon at the same time trying to find a salon job like (jcpenny salon or regis salon) type to start off and a place to live..apartment. so I have to start off cheap. Although everything is still expensive esp in SD.But safe and nice environment. I have a 2 year old son and going through a divorce, so everything is changing for me. Any suggestions...please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM

326 posts, read 719,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krodizzle View Post
Hi! I am actually considering to move to SD. Originally from san jose,ca. Currently living in washington state. I'm graduating cosmetology soon at the same time trying to find a salon job like (jcpenny salon or regis salon) type to start off and a place to live..apartment. so I have to start off cheap. Although everything is still expensive esp in SD.But safe and nice environment. I have a 2 year old son and going through a divorce, so everything is changing for me. Any suggestions...please help!
My cousin has been a hairdresser in San Diego for 15 years, she has her own salon, but she says her business has slowed down because her customers are coming in more infrequently now. Just thought I would mention it to you.

I'm trying to buy a 2 bed. 2 bath condo in SD to rent out, too bad I don't have it yet, I posted earlier regarding what rent I can expect but no one has replied so far.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:24 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Im sure you can get a job at a JC Penney salon without a problem. But to be on the safe side, also try some other chains like Fantastic Sams, SuperCuts, Regis, and the like.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM

105 posts, read 338,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krodizzle View Post
If Craigslist is any indication, their 'Salon/Spa/Fitness' job section is always full of salon and spa jobs. I know this because I was considering getting back in to personal training recently and saw probably a 30:1 salon to fitness job ratio in that section. So the jobs are listed, but that doesn't mean there won't be hundreds of people (some 'overqualified') applying. I've interviewed at places that probably would have hired me in a second in a normal economy/job market, but with the way things are right now, my competition has been extremely fierce. One interviewer actually told me this after deciding to hire someone else...who was WAY overqualified (on paper). That said, I think it is doable if you have a lot of $ saved up, are persistent, and interview well. Also, being bubbly and cheerful is very important to employers out here, even if it's 100% fake

Old 05-31-2009, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,749 times
Haha yes that's exactly what I'm going to do check craigslist and everywhere else...and be as charming as can be! Thanks...and yeah I heard salons get slow in the summer because everyone wants to be out in the sun other than in the salon. Thanks guys...I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego