Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am going to FIDM San Diego next Spring and would like to find my own housing. I am from the midwest and have no knowledge of areas to live that are safe, fun and close to commute. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times
ooh!! first of all! how exciting for you! I went to FIDM Los Angeles for a year (left for personal reasons). Its such a great school and you will love it! I was a merchandise marketing major and wish I could have finished it .

Second, the San Diego campus is by horton's plaza, downtown so you may want to live somewhere central. Depending on your price range, downtown in the gaslamp district (which is nearby and ritzier) is nice if you can afford it. but if you go southward out of downtown, you are officially in the ghetto from what I remember, stay away from there! most of the south part of SD was kinda scary for me. Mission valley is a little bit of a commute but no more than 20-30 minutes in traffic and its a nice area, a little cheaper than downtown (from what I remember). SDSU area looked scary..but I would look into it a little more, as I only drove through there once and was scared and drove away quickly! lol. that area is not a bad commute either. Also, north san diego is really nice and the prices aren't too horrible either if you're willing to live with roommates, but its a little more of a commute (about 15-20 miles to downtown). I think its safer though.

You could always look up the areas I mentioned on wikipedia too to get a an idea of what you're getting. It helps me too.

Anyways, I hope I helped. I never lived in SD but I visited a lot and almost moved there so I got a feel for what areas are decent and what the commutes are. Hopefully someone else who knows more than I do will chime in!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 PM

181 posts, read 466,295 times
HI! I Might very well be a classmate next year fall '10. I Plan on living here atleast a year to gain residency so it is cheaper for me to go back to school! I moved to SD two months ago from Minnesota, where are you from??? FIDM is downtown, and there is a lot of housing down there but lots of homeless as well (I wouldn't walk around at night alone if your a girl). I live in North Park which is still a "melting pot" community but it is really redeveloping!! It is 10 minutes to anywhere from North Park in SD (Just about!!) I can get downtown quickly through Balboa Park which is a breeze!! I also found a nicer place because everything is being remodeled than the placed we looked at by the beach! Can I ask what your budget is?? Are you living alone? Feel free to Direct Message me if you have questions or anything!!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,876 times
hi.even i am also coming to join FIDM in fall 2009..but i am joining L.A campus...but i really dont know much about FIDM apart from catalog and in google what they have mentioned...lets c. but pls if any one have idea so tell me...is it renowned in fashion world or not..as i am joing fashion design

Old 07-04-2009, 02:31 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ila_sih View Post
hi.even i am also coming to join FIDM in fall 2009..but i am joining L.A campus...but i really dont know much about FIDM apart from catalog and in google what they have mentioned...lets c. but pls if any one have idea so tell me...is it renowned in fashion world or not..as i am joing fashion design
FIDM is very well renowned, at least in the U.S. I am not too sure about the European market though but if you can get work in this country with high end fashion, then eventually you'll get in with the European market and in fashion, of course that's where everyone wants to be!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,476 times
The campus moved last September - it's now right next to Petco Park (near the convention center, southeast of gaslamp) The area is ok, but I wouldn't live there and I don't walk by myself at night there. They've bulldozed most of the sketchy buildings & built luxury condos, and they're trying to kick out all of the homeless. If money isn't a big concern, the closest nice areas of downtown are Little Italy and Banker's Hill. You can get a tiny studio for around $1000+ Golden Hill is also very close and a little cheaper, but sketchy.

Other urban neighborhoods are- Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, Kensington, and Rolando - all within 10 or so miles, safer, and a little more affordable. I lived in North Park by myself for a year and there is a TON of entertainment within walking distance; same with Hillcrest. You could take the bus, drive, or ride a bike/scooter/motorcycle to school. Parking at the new campus is a bit of a pain because it's right next to the ballpark, so keep that in mind.

The student housing is in Fashion Valley and the students living there can take the trolley to school; the same if you lived in Mission Valley or La Mesa. Mostly apartment complexes and condos. These are more suburban, car-friendly areas with a lot of malls & shopping centers. I lived next to SDSU for 4 years while going there, just outside of La Mesa. It's bad if you are near the SDSU frat houses (you'll know because the rent will be cheaper!) but La Mesa is a lot quieter and safer. You could also try near the beaches, but you're going to have to deal with a lot of partying and a lot of traffic...not sure about the rent around there either.

Good luck and have fun at FIDM!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego