Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM

131 posts, read 298,195 times

Advertisements

In researching apartment rent rates throughout the various neighborhoods of San Diego, I've noticed that Mission Bay/Hills/Valley seem to have low rents compared to the other neighborhoods. However, I'm concerned about the proximity of this area to Balboa Park, as I'm hoping to spend a great deal of time at Balboa once I move to SD. Are these particular neighborhoods close to Balboa, and is Balboa easy to access from them? About how many miles is it from this area to Balboa? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Mission Hills / Mission Valley / Mission Bay are radically different areas.

Move to Mission Hills if you want to live near Balboa Park. It is the nicest and most expensive of all the areas you mentioned.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 AM

sassberto -- Would you mind elaborating a bit on those three neighborhoods? Are Mission Bay and Valley less expensive because they are high crime or rundown areas? Also, would I be far away from Balboa Park if I lived in those two areas? I'm trying to be sensible about this move, and at least start off in an "inexpensive" (meaning about $975 per month) apartment. I'm also limited to apartments that accept small dogs, as I already have a dog. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebu077 View Post
sassberto -- Would you mind elaborating a bit on those three neighborhoods? Are Mission Bay and Valley less expensive because they are high crime or rundown areas? Also, would I be far away from Balboa Park if I lived in those two areas? I'm trying to be sensible about this move, and at least start off in an "inexpensive" (meaning about $975 per month) apartment. I'm also limited to apartments that accept small dogs, as I already have a dog. Thanks!
Mission Bay - mostly single family homes, some military housing, mostly modest homes. Not close to Balboa Park at all, you would need to get on a freeway.

Mission Valley - large apartment and condo complexes, malls, shopping, car dealers. No schools, parks, etc... Mostly popular as a landing spot for younger relocating professionals but not much of an area for long-term residence. You would need to drive to get to Balboa Park, about 10-15 mins

Mission Hills - the preeminent San Diego city residential neighborhood, pre-war mansions, restored crafstman homes, some condos. minimal commercial. It would be possible to ride a bike to Balboa Park from here.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 06-24-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM

BTW, I realize I posted previously about living in downtown San Diego, but I ultimately decided that wasn't for me. First of all, I noticed that a small studio in a downtown complex costs as much or more than a decent sized one-bedroom apartment in the neighborhoods located a few miles from downtown. Secondly, I'm worried I wouldn't have enough places to walk my dog if I lived downtown.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Mission Bay - mostly single family homes, some military housing, mostly modest homes. Not close to Balboa Park at all, you would need to get on a freeway.

Mission Valley - large apartment and condo complexes, malls, shopping, car dealers. No schools, parks, etc... Mostly popular as a landing spot for younger relocating professionals but not much of an area for long-term residence. You would need to drive to get to Balboa Park, about 10-15 mins

Mission Hills - the preeminent San Diego city neighborhood, pre-war mansions, restored crafstman homes, some condos. minimal commercial. It would be possible to ride a bike to Balboa Park from here.
Thanks, Sassberto, you're really helping me out! UGH, it looks like I'm going to have to start my search from scratch. Which neighborhoods are closest to Balboa Park? If you provide me with a basic list, I can do a bit of research to see if I any of the apartments there are reasonably priced.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Sassberto, you're really helping me out! UGH, it looks like I'm going to have to start my search from scratch. Which neighborhoods are closest to Balboa Park? If you provide me with a basic list, I can do a bit of research to see if I any of the apartments there are reasonably priced.
Balboa Park San Diego - Google Maps

Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm horrible at reading maps, so hopefully I've got this right: It looks like Hillcrest, Normal Heights, North Park, Little Italy, and Cortez are all pretty close. Does this sound accurate?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm horrible at reading maps, so hopefully I've got this right: It looks like Hillcrest, Normal Heights, North Park, Little Italy, and Cortez are all pretty close. Does this sound accurate?
Correct. The budget option is North Park.

The ability to read a map is a crucial life skill when relocating to a new city. Practice makes perfect.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Correct. The budget option is North Park.

The ability to read a map is a crucial life skill when relocating to a new city. Practice makes perfect.
Thanks, Sassberto! I'll start my search from scratch. Guess I'd better start practicing reading maps...OR get lost a lot when I first get to San Diego, HA HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego