Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,322 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and decided I should give it a try and maybe get some more insight about San Diego.

Here is the thing: I have been living in NY for the past 12 years and I really can't deal with the weather anymore and the lack of space and I am serioulsy thinking about relocating to San Diego. I've been there twice already trying to get a feel of the city and I thought it was beautiful. I know that its expensive, but I wanted to know if there are any people out there that moved from NY to San Diego and if so how do you like it? were you able to adjust? Any insight would be truly appreaciated it especially from other "New Yorkers".

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 62,169 times
My husband use to live and work in NY (worked in the WTC for many years prior to 911). He always thought that NY was the best, even after he moved to the San Francisco area. He liked N. Calif, but he still preferred NY. Then he moved to S. Calif after he met me (Ventura County), and still preferred NY. When we moved to San Diego, he knew he found his perfect world! It's truly one of the most wonderful places to live, work and play! NY is still a great place to visit, but he says "they can have that weather"! San Diego is not only beautiful and fun filled, but the weather will spoil you rotten!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
Default NY vs. SD

I spent most of my adult life living in Manhattan, and found San Diego surprisingly comfortable and accessible. Downtown is walkable, and the public transportation, while it's not the gigantic subway system in New York, is extensive. It beats Portland, with its light rail system with stations in the middle of nowhere and a lot of hot air about "transit oriented developments", the San Diego Trolley actually goes to places I wanted to get to pretty efficiently.

San Diego lacks the "urban enormity" of a city like Chicago or New York,
though, in some ways it feels like a large, sleepy midwestern town that went south for the winter. I am planning to move back from Portland, Oregon, since the cloudy climate of Portland and the ratio of panhandlers, weirdos, and crazy people is less favorable here even than in San Francisco.

The cost of housing anywhere in coastal California is stratospheric if
you want to buy a single-family detached house, but if your goal is more
modest, to find a decent place to rent, San Diego is pricey in some
areas but overall has a lot of choices and some decent rooming houses downtown even if you're of modest means.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,135 times
we are considering moving from ma to ca. i've commuted into boston for the past 15 years and sd looks like a great alternative. sd is more expensive than central massachusetts. the weather, the beach, other attractions...

i heard that there is a large population in sd from the northeast.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,523,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATOCALI View Post
Lots of Northeasterners in SD - but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the midwesterners and southwesterners.

I grew up in LI and have been in SD for about 11 years. It's definitely different and there is a lot about the Northeast I miss. But SD is a great place with it's own charms.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,134,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATOCALI View Post

I was raised in Staten Island and have lived in San Diego for 5 yrs & previous to that, Santa Barbara for 8 yrs.

My husband has been in San Diego for almost 20 yrs (originally an Iowa boy) and really does not want to move anywhere else. The weather is perfect for him (he has MS and extreme weather conditions - whether snow or blazing heat - are terrible for him) and he loves the laid-back lifestyle.

Whenever I'd had to go back to NYC for business, I initially love the fast-pace and excitement of being back in the hustle & bustle. But, the excitement wears off pretty quickly when I realize I have to dress a certain way, interact a certain way and deal with "people-I-don't-know rudeness". NYC has its perks - I genuinely miss Broadway, Lincoln Center and having access to some of the best restaurants in the US. It's hard when my parents visit and we take them out to eat. Whether it's Chinese, Thai or Italian, nothing is as good as the places they frequent. They are always surprised by the quality of the Asian restaurants here considering the large Asian population.

Anyway, I definitely prefer living in San Diego to moving back to NY.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,134,245 times
We do have NY-style pizza here! The place is called Bronx Pizza. They serve up a tasty cheese-pie. They also have some weird combinations. I asked about those once - musing that growing up I don't remember anything other than cheese, cheese & pepperoni or cheese & sausage.

The tall bald guy (for those of you who know Bronx) said I remembered right and that they had to add the extra flavors for the Californians.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riogirl77 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and decided I should give it a try and maybe get some more insight about San Diego.

Here is the thing: I have been living in NY for the past 12 years and I really can't deal with the weather anymore and the lack of space and I am serioulsy thinking about relocating to San Diego. I've been there twice already trying to get a feel of the city and I thought it was beautiful. I know that its expensive, but I wanted to know if there are any people out there that moved from NY to San Diego and if so how do you like it? were you able to adjust? Any insight would be truly appreaciated it especially from other "New Yorkers".

Thank you so much!!
thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my message. It's a big step to move cross country, especially after living in NY for so long. We are all set to move June 15th but now I am having a very hard time finding an apartment complex that accpets my dog, shes about 50 lbs and most of the places have a weight limit.

How is the job market in your opinion? I know that it's nothing like NY but would you say is somewhat easy to find a good job? I am a HR Manager and my husband is a Chef. We do not have anything lined up yet and I'm hoping it won't be too hard to find something good. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I don't know anyone in San Diego so any help with tips helps. As far as rentals any locations that any of you would recommend?

Thank you very much!!

Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
Default i moved from philly

well i myself moved from philly and your right it very expensive but it great out here you know lot of things to do and many of the people are actually nice when you get to know them anything else you would like to know i would be glad to help you out because i myself know how diffucult it could be to move from somewhere like new york to san d.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,150 times
Cool San Diego

Hello,
My wife and I lived in SD for more than 15 years we are not from NY, but if you want to change worlds I say move. What a wonderful place we had to move for health reasons, but it took them about 5 years to talk me into leaving. We are travelers by nature but SD what a wold. We actually lived in El Cajon just east of SD, but I worked right down town the only real problem is the traffic, but you are probably used to that. I believe God really liked to vacation in SD.
T n T
I do not spell very well by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego