Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
On a typical day, all I have in my pocket is my car keys and a credit card. I only have one (plus the debit card, which is in my wife's wallet most of the time). Sometimes I carry a cell phone, but more often than not it's discharged or left at home (modern cell phones typically work 1-2 days on a single charge). I have no cash or coins in my car, and the last time I had more than $1 of physical money on my person was probably in June.

I sure hope I don't end up running into you if I run out of gas and my credit card is declined for any reason.
Seems to me like are setting yourself up for potential problems with your above lifestyle choices.

You shouldn't have to rely on outsiders to come to the rescue. To me, it seems irresponsible.

People who drive a car with no cash on them are taking an unnecessary risk.

If I lived like you, I would just hide a $20 bill somewhere in the car, and use it only for emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 25,362 times
For you Christians,

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

Aye, but there's the rub in being a true follower of Christ and surviving in the postmodern urban waste lands of America.

Ignore & keep walking briskly -- is the best way to hold on to your cash and reduce your threat of being harmed by an aggressive panhandler or scammer.

On the other hand, to give money, rides, to lend cell phones, etc. to every single solicitor on the street is a good way to deplete your checking account and even be seriously hurt in the process. You'd be pleasing Jesus, but martyring yourself. Wait -- Jesus martyred Himself. He calls me to follow Him; therefore, I should martyr myself. DOH!

To follow Christ and His example to the letter out on the mean streets would eventually render you broke and/or injured, and perhaps even homeless. Ironic? Perhaps. I do know this: The ignore & walk away strategy keeps one viable and alive in the world, while the other puts one is jeopardy; so, I'm sticking with the former. Which makes me NOT a Christian, to my chagrin.

I wanna be like Christ, I wanna believe in love, and hope, and peace on Earth. Yet I want to live. The paradoxes of being a Christian and leading a full life in this life...

Anyone? Anyone?

Danoliafoya

Last edited by Danoliafoya; 08-12-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 02:55 PM

61 posts, read 192,452 times
Was it really a big enough deal to post to see if you got scammed? You gave them $5? Who cares. I walk Downtown SD all the time. If a bum asks me for spare change, I give them a 20. No I'm not rich or anyything, far from it actually. But I figure they need it more than I do right? Im sure they were hungry and bought food. If they bought crack with it, oh well, shame on them I was just trying to help. Same with you, if they went and bought a nickel bag of crack, shame on them.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
When I'm downtown and someone asks me for money, I tell them to get a job. This includes the panhandlers in front of all he 7-11 stores. I don't give out any money, not even a penny. If they need money that badly, they can get a job, or go to the welfare dept for help. I work for my hard earned money, and don't give it away.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
On the other hand, to give money, rides, to lend cell phones, etc. to every single solicitor on the street is a good way to deplete your checking account and even be seriously hurt in the process.
Only if you're poor to begin with, or you live in an area with thousands of bums.

If you give 10 bucks to one panhandler a day, that's $300/month. If you work in a 7-11 ... that's a lot of money. If you're a lawyer or otherwise have a six-digit income ... you will barely even notice. Some of those bums will use it on crack, and others really need that money, they will go and buy food.

If you're a frequent giver, it does not hurt to try to be a judge of character, to make sure your money is routed to more worthy individuals. If this is the first time you gave someone $5 in ages, beating yourself up over it and wondering "what if that guy spent my money on something bad!" is probably a waste of time.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:47 PM

61 posts, read 192,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Only if you're poor to begin with, or you live in an area with thousands of bums.

If you give 10 bucks to one panhandler a day, that's $300/month. If you work in a 7-11 ... that's a lot of money. If you're a lawyer or otherwise have a six-digit income ... you will barely even notice. Some of those bums will use it on crack, and others really need that money, they will go and buy food.

If you're a frequent giver, it does not hurt to try to be a judge of character, to make sure your money is routed to more worthy individuals. If this is the first time you gave someone $5 in ages, beating yourself up over it and wondering "what if that guy spent my money on something bad!" is probably a waste of time.

Yeah especially $5.
Alot of people go out and eat out when they have food at home.
And theres people on the streets (yeah even though they got there themselves theyre still people and it doesnt hurt to help)

I was Downtown LA not too long ago. Sitting outside an expensive cafe with my friend. Were in a beater Ford truck. Just 2 kids. A brand new range rover pulls up, 3 dudes get out, order hella ****. Which is expensive there. A bum walks up asks them for SPARE CHANGE they say they dont have anything. Then one of the guys gets up goes in and buys something else after he ate hella. I was like wow. Me and my friend gave the bum 10 bucks each. It feels good to help people out. Some people are less-fortunate than you. And you honestly dont know that persons situation, you might end up on the street in 10 years, you dont know. Anything could happen, wouldnt you want someone to help you out? Its not like they ask for half your paycheck, asking for change to go get a ****ing dollar menu burger. I guess some people just look at things differently. Maybe im just soft.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Take your 300 bucks and donate it to a charity that will actually do something useful with it.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I agree with Sassberto. I don't have any money to donate to shelters. But when I clean out my closet, I take the clothes that I don't want anymore to a women's shelter. That way I know that someone will be using it. I also get a lot of free samples, and I also donate the toiletries to the same women's shelter, and the donations are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM

12 posts, read 25,362 times
Quote:
Only if... you live in an area with thousands of bums.
Like in some of the beach areas of San Diego. Or in the cities of New Orleans, San Francisco, Santa Monica, or New York City. Places I've personally lived in and/or spent a great deal of time.

Once, when I lived for six months in downtown San Francisco, my daily routine involved having to walk a gauntlet of aggressive panhandlers, who demanded upwards of 20 bucks from me each and every time I passed through. We're talking about a goodly number of them: no less than 50 panhandlers hitting me up in an average day.

$20 times 50 panhandlers = $1000 per day.

Times 365 days = $365,000 per year.

That's a fair chunk of change for anybody!

I'm not sure some of you realize just how many panhandlers and scam artists are out there in some of our cities and just how incredibly broke Jesus would be today, even if Jesus had a decent income. Check that: Jesus would have to be a successful stock broker, not a mere carpenter.

Danoliafoya

Last edited by Danoliafoya; 08-12-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 04:12 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkid31 View Post
Some people are less-fortunate than you.
And some people **** their fortune away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkid31 View Post
Maybe im just soft.
Softer than jello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego