Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 15,771 times

Advertisements

So I send in a check for the $225. with the box checked indicating that I will contest by declaration. A week goes by and I get a letter saying they need the $225! I call and tell them I sent it, but they say they didn't receive it. I clearly recall putting the check in the envelope and mailing it.

The letter they sent telling me they need the $225. indicates a way to pay it online. This is the first I've heard that you can do that. None of the previous correspondence indicated it or I would have done it that way in the first place.

So, I'm waiting until the last moment to see if my check turns up and if it doesn't I'll have to stop payment (which will cost me $25.) and then make the payment online.

This whole damned thing is taxing my patience and sanity. And I wasn't even f***ing speeding in the first place. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH HHH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
I am sorry for all the hassle you are going through. But they will give you a refund for the bail if you pay online now and later cash your check. Remember, you are making a point and it's never easy going up against the system. Just try to stay focused and remember everything will ultimately work out.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Default status update#3

Thanks Chelito, Appreciate it.

Well yesterday was the drop dead date for paying my ransom. They never did find the check I sent so I had to pony up $25.00 to my bank to stop payment. Then I called in and paid by credit card. A bit of an unsettling feeling reading off my credit card numbers to the people who lost my check, but there it is.

They're sending the forms for the trial by written declaration and they said I have to have it returned by May 8th. I'll post again when I know more.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,537 times
What happens if you receive the "courtesy notice" from the court and the license plate number is wrong?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 AM

Default status update #4

OK this one's for all you lovers of the horribly flawed nature of bureaucracies. This organization has SERIOUS problems.

If you're following along you know that:
1) I get a ticket for speeding even though I had my cruise control set just BELOW the limit.
2) I sent in my check for the bail
3) They sent me a letter saying they received no bail
4) I call; they swear they received no check in the mail
5) I wait until the last day they say I HAVE to pay (10 days later). I call; they STILL swear they received no check in the mail so I pay them by credit card and pay my bank the $25.00 fee to cancel the check

and (drumroll please) here's the latest development in this whole fricking fiasco:

6) I get a letter saying they tried the cash my check; it bounced; they want me to pay their $35.00 insufficient funds fee.

Is anyone's blood pressure up to a boil yet?

So, on the phone I calmly but firmly tell them the story and two different people (clerk types with no actual power) tell me sorry, you must pay the $35.00. I tell person #2 I will need to speak with their supervisor about this. They say supervisor is in back to back meetings and will call me whenever (maybe not today). A couple of hours later person #2 calls back and says OK, the supervisor says I don't have to pay the $35.00.

So, I hope it's a happy ending. If I receive another warning letter in the mail to pay the fee I'm gonna freak out. After the level of incompetency I've experienced, I wouldn't doubt it.

CURRENT STATUS:
Yesterday I sent in the Trial by Declaration package containing my Declaration and Sworn Statements from the other 3 passengers in the car; 2 of whom actually viewed the speedometer setting (as did I) and can verify that it did NOT show that we were speeding. Along with photos of the GPS and speedometer showing essentially the same speed (actually the speedo was about 1mph higher).

Wish me luck. After all this, I think I'll need it. I'll let you know what happens. The Trial by Declaration date is May 8th.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM

349 posts, read 863,221 times
I also got a ticket in Winterhaven driving back to AZ from CA. Winterhaven is a speed trap.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 AM

102 posts, read 578,357 times
I received a a ticket in that area as well ...I was heading from Phoenix to San Diego for a new job ..he got me right over the border while I was looking at my gps...it sucked not a way to start a new job and beginning ...just go to traffic school online ...not worth to fight it .

Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
"Wish me luck. After all this, I think I'll need it. I'll let you know what happens. The Trial by Declaration date is May 8th."

Oregondriver... looks like tomorrow is the big day. May the Force be with you.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM

Default Should know soon

Thanks Obi cruitr One - Not sure how long it will take to hear but I'll post the verdict. Looks like the rescinded $35.00 fee is sticking (knocks wood). So far, no letter demanding it again!

later

Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM

Default Final Decision

Over the past couple of months as I told the story of this dilemma to many, the majority seemed pessimistic that I would receive any justice in this matter.

Today I found out that they were correct. Justice has failed. I was declared guilty with no adjustment to the $225.00 ransom that they forced from me.

Apparently the word of one highway patrol officer has trumped the sworn statements of all four of us in that vehicle who know that this citation is a lie.

To the officials of the Superior Court of California, County of Imperial I say this: The evidence we provided did offer at least SOME measure of doubt as to the veracity of this charge. Your decision to completely ignore us signifies a failure of the trust that we and all law-abiding citizens depend upon you to provide. It is disgraceful. I have no further resources to battle your unquestionable power.

Thanks to all who followed this thread. I wish the outcome had been more positive, not because I need the money, but because I was hoping that all the nay sayers would be wrong and that fairness would prevail. Today is not the day.

oregondriver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego