Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM

181 posts, read 466,100 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was super happy today when I got a phone call from my mom, saying she found CHEAP tickets for her and my little brother to come out for Christmas. I cried like a baby. I am 12 weeks pregnant, and all my family (except for my husband) is in MN. I didn't expect for her to be coming, and not only are we on a tighter budget, my mom is as well. Especially with buying Christmas presents and stuff...

With that being said, can anyone give me idea's of things we can do for cheap/free... Cheap good places to eat (I know a few but I like trying new places, I dont want to take them to all the same places as last time) Also, I would like to know some of the cheap/free Christmas things San Diego has to offer... (does Balboa park do anything?) My husband does Christmas lights with his company, so we will go see lights, have a bonfire at La Jolla Shores, and we all have season passes to Universal (which expire soon, so we may as well go one more time)

Give me some idea's people

By the way I don't like eating at Tourist traps, like Old Town and Seaport Village... Crap food

Thanks for the advice!!!

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:56 AM

258 posts, read 448,317 times
So glad your family is coming to join you, and blessings to you and your impending arrival.

My suggestion is a home prepared meal and maybe just take them on the usual tour of the city.
There's nothing better than home cooking when getting off the plane and entering the home with the smells of Christmas in the air.
And of course the best part about the season is the celebration of the birth of our Savior.
That's the meaning of the season. Everything else pales. Jesus is the reason for the Season.
Good luck to you, your new baby and family.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
You could tailgate at a Chargers game. Thousands of people tailgate and don't have tickets for the game.

Your only cost would be parking and the food you bring. You'll meet lots of cool people. There's always live music and you can watch the game on the outdoor jumbo screens.

There are two remaining home games this season: Dec 20th and Jan 3rd.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM

181 posts, read 466,100 times
I'm such a sick little pregnant duck that smells tend to make me more nauseous. LOL Can't wait for my mom to come and make me some of my favorite dishes! LOL

We are going to make Christmas cookies, have a seafood dinner at home, possibly go to Universal with our season passes (we all have them from April) Do the bonfire at La Jolla Shores, Probably take them to Coronado because I don't think we have done that yet... MOO time (I think thats what it's called) has good ice cream over there, so might have to hit that up Although it is more Hot cocoa weather! LOL

Any other suggestions?

Also, I heard there is a big place you can go play Lazer tag somewhere in SD, has anyone ever been? My 10 year old brother would get a kick out of that... Is it super expensive? Do you have to have a large group?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 PM

176 posts, read 635,033 times
San Diego Laser ULTRAZONE Tag
Ultrazone, $7 per player per game. Games are 15 minutes long I think, and feature two floors, three bases, loud music, fog, and black lights. Lots of fun.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM

302 posts, read 885,515 times
On the San Diego Bay, they do a Christmas Lights parade with boats. Some people go all out, and have really amazing decorations! There is one this Sunday (the 20th) from 530-9pm.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Really happy for you!

Ice skating is probably not a big deal to Minnesotans, but maybe you can take them skating at the outdoor rink at the Hotel Del. Bet they've never skated on the beach before! Skating by the Sea (Hotel del Coronado Ice-Rink) - Coronado Island (eCoronado.com)

The hotel is also down up nicely for Christmas. As someone else mentioned, the boat parade might be fun. Historically speaking, Xmas in SD always seems to be clear, sunny and mild and that alone might make them happy!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:28 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,348 times
Balboa Park has all kinds of holiday activities and lights. Check their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego