Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 AM

425 posts, read 958,387 times

Advertisements

I have seen comments on a few forums saying htat when the Dodgers play the Padres at Petco, that Dodger fans out number the padre fans by a large margin. is that due to a large portion of San Diego based Dodger fans or more because LA fans traveling down to see their team?

Also having never been to the West Coast, is Dodger stadium as bad as I have heard or is it just internet "hype" based off of a few bad experiences...fro mwhat I hear if you go there wearing anything other then Dodger blue at best you will be pelted with peanuts and beer all game long, at worst it will get physical...it sounds like it is common place.

I root for the mets out here in NY, and go to many Mets/Yankees games at Yankee stadium and outside of friendly trash talk, I have never encountered anything like that...I even whent to games in Philly and nothing that i did not consider freindly ribbing...

from the talk on the internet it sounds like when the Raiders went back to Oakland, the "Black Hole" stayed behind and moved over to Dodger Stadium...at least they have Alyssa Milano! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
I have seen comments on a few forums saying htat when the Dodgers play the Padres at Petco, that Dodger fans out number the padre fans by a large margin. is that due to a large portion of San Diego based Dodger fans or more because LA fans traveling down to see their team?
I think it's a little of both especially for those over 50. My mother grew up in SD mostly and to this day is still a Dodger fan. When she was growing up, there were no Padres yet, so many fans in SD rooted for the Dodgers. The Padres weren't formed until 1968 I believe. Despite having a team from then on, many baseball fans in SD remained loyal to their original team. Of course many of these people had children and still rooted for the Dodgers and at least some of thier kids took after the parents. I'm not much into baseball but when I do watch it on occasion, I'll root for the Dodgers before I root for the Padres, besides just not caring much for fans here, I grew up with the A's and Dodgers. Lots of people do drive down from LA though.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Never been a Dodger game-but if they are anything like Padre fans you can come in and take over the stadium and get little resistance from their fan base. I've heard their is slightly more Dodger pride and tradition. Part of the outnumber thing you mention is the proximity of LA to SD but the bigger thing is SD fans don't support a losing team- this is clear when the Raider fans take over the Q when the Chargers used to stink. I went to a Rockies/Padres game last season and I swore it was 50/50.

You are a Met fan if you're anything like the typical Yankee, Met, Phillies fan that is loud obnoxious and makes it their job to spot and harass outsiders you'll think a game in So. Cal is as a playful as a church picnic softball game.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i can't speak for dodger fans in SD, but i've been to plenty of dodger games here in LA and have never seen anything that you explained. however, i must disclose that i've never sat in the bleachers either. i've seen people heckled a bit near the concessions, but nothing serious. however, i have heard stories about outsiders who ended up in the bleachers who had stuff thrown at them the entire game because they were wearing the away team's jersey. all you have to do is avoid the bleachers and you'll be fine.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM

425 posts, read 958,387 times
BRinSM, I have heard some others say that as well, then I found a few Youtube clips and I have never seen any behaviour to this level at any Met-Yankees or Mets-Phillies game.

YouTube - Dodger Fans

YouTube - Padres vs Dodgers catfigth

YouTube - Dodgers Fan Fight 3/29/2007 We Love It

YouTube - Dodgers vs Giants Fan Fight

but then again, there are just as many...

YouTube - Mets vs Phillies Girl fight - 8/22/09 (Part 1)

So, long story short too much beer tends to make most people idiots.

Gentoo-Yeah I figured as much, my father was a die hard Brooklyn Dodgers fan and when they left for LA, he really did not root for a team until 1962 when the mets came to town. However plenty of other fans either decided to still root for the Dodgers (although pre-intenet and 24 hour sports TV it had to be difficult to really follow them) and some even became Yankee fans.

eastcoastbias-I am more of the laid back type who if I spot a fan of another I team I would attempt to chat him up about his team, and see who he likes on his team and in their farm system...and of course a little freindly ribbing, but nothing that would make someone uncomfortable. They paid their money to have a good time and enjoy the game.

Every team has moments where a fan or fan(s) get out of hand, but for some reason some fan bases get the bad rep as a group...namley Raiders fans, Philly fans of any team and Dodger fan..which is a fairly new thing for me to be hearing. I guess having never been out there, I always feel into the thought process that Dodger fans in LA were "come for the second inning, leave by the seventh, disintrested fair weather fans" I know Yankee fans can get a rep sometimes too, but other then being obnoxious about their teams success, I find most of them to be just fine (of course most of them most likley were Mets fans up until 1996) :-)

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
To be fair, the Dodgers Fan Fight was really just a scramble for a dropped bag of peanuts.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Oh those Giants fans. San Francisco fans in general can sometimes be rather scrappy. I remember when 49er's fans used to throw Batteries at the Chargers (perhaps they still do?). That rivalry with the Giants and Dodgers can become heated sometimes.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
More local Padres fans in my opinion. LOS DODGERS are basically a gang team. Unfortunately b/c LA (Tijuana North) doesn't have a football team a lot of LA bangers are now fans of the Chargers, but few are fans of the Padres.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
It depends on who has a winning record and who has a suck record. SD fans are pretty band wagon. I remember going to games where there were more Bronco or Giant fans because the other team was good. When the Chargers started getting good it turned around. Most fans must have more than one jersey.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It depends on who has a winning record and who has a suck record. SD fans are pretty band wagon. I remember going to games where there were more Bronco or Giant fans because the other team was good. When the Chargers started getting good it turned around. Most fans must have more than one jersey.
Haha that's so true actually! SD is the king of Band Wagon fans. Remember when the Padres were really really bad in the 90's? They were having crowds numbering like 2000 in the stadium. I live right next to Qualcomm and I see what you mean everytime there are games. Over the past few years, I've seen a lot of Charger jerseys, more so than in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego