Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM

134 posts, read 310,043 times

Advertisements

Generally pay for professional jobs in San Diego is lower than you would expect for the cost of living. I would bet that on average similar jobs pay _less_ in San Diego compared Philadelphia, despite the fact that that the cost of living, especially in terms of housing, is higher. So getting a salary equivalent to what you made in Philly is actually pretty good in that sense. I don't know if it's the sunshine tax or what, but generally LA and SF will also pay you a lot more than San Diego for a similar job. Also, if you rent instead of buy, the cost of living differential between Philly and San Diego is a lot lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM

104 posts, read 276,670 times
Thanks for all the advice guys, I do appreciate it.

I will definitely be taking the job either way, I was just wondering if it would hurt to ask for a higher starting salary. In my mind, the worst thing they could say is no, but nmnita you have me scared, lol. I'm sorry to hear that that happened to your husband.

Perhaps like Chieftans said, it's just a matter of phrasing it correctly.

Thanks mlarsen23, I do remember hearing that about San Diego; that's crazy that the salaries aren't as aligned with cost of living here.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes

Dan

Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treevernal View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys, I do appreciate it.

I will definitely be taking the job either way, I was just wondering if it would hurt to ask for a higher starting salary. In my mind, the worst thing they could say is no, but nmnita you have me scared, lol. I'm sorry to hear that that happened to your husband.

Dan
Something you might consider, if they do not budge, is to see if they will do a review (for possible increase) earlier, such as 6 months, or give you starting vacation time.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Something you might consider, if they do not budge, is to see if they will do a review (for possible increase) earlier, such as 6 months, or give you starting vacation time.
As I had mentioned, which is what you are saying, sometimes perks can be added or something to offset the salary you didn't get.

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,502 times
Congrats to you!

I would request a higher (but reasonable) salary. Also check to see what other similar positions with your expereince makes on public salary-database websites. If they have no salary wiggle room, they will tell you to take-it or leave-it. Rarely do i hear a company rescind an offer due to salary negioations, since it takes time and money to recruit skilled employees.

I also agree that the San Diego biotech market is very isolated and I too am having a difficult time breaking into the field. If you have no other options, then there is only one response, take it.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Congrats to you!

I would request a higher (but reasonable) salary. Also check to see what other similar positions with your expereince makes on public salary-database websites. If they have no salary wiggle room, they will tell you to take-it or leave-it. Rarely do i hear a company rescind an offer due to salary negioations, since it takes time and money to recruit skilled employees.

I also agree that the San Diego biotech market is very isolated and I too am having a difficult time breaking into the field. If you have no other options, then there is only one response, take it.
I happen to agree, rarely does it happen, but as I said it happened to hubby twice. The one time they were so far off that it really wasn't a big deal, I am not sure he really wanted the job anyway. The other was a job he really wanted, the salary was off, but not outrageously and we were very disappointed. We just wished they would have come back with their offer again..You live and learn I guess. Again, I would be more inclined to ask for a salary review sooner than suggested, other perks, whatever, but leave the salary as is, especially in this economy.

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As I had mentioned, which is what you are saying, sometimes perks can be added or something to offset the salary you didn't get.

Nita
Depends on what someone thinks perks means. I would consider things like discounts or free stuff as perks. I wouldn't consider (starting) vacation time as a perk, since that's part of the standard benefits, and it wouldn't necessarily cost the company any more per year.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Depends on what someone thinks perks means. I would consider things like discounts or free stuff as perks. I wouldn't consider (starting) vacation time as a perk, since that's part of the standard benefits, and it wouldn't necessarily cost the company any more per year.
ok, I might have been simplifying it, but I would consider vacation accumulation early as a perk, or a benefit might be a better word, as well as a review earlier than the usual time frame, whatever that is for this company. I guess I should have said concessions..

Nita

Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 AM

104 posts, read 276,670 times
Thanks guys!

Well, long story short, I accepted their offer of employment and begin working on Monday

I tried to negotiate with the HR rep but she wouldn't budge (she added that the amount offered is actually higher than what they were going to originally offer but that she had gotten them to raise it; but I think she was BSing that). However, while I was on the phone with her and even before I tried negotiating, I got more detailed info on their benefits which are better than at my last job. Also, they will be doing a review in 90 days (in addition to my yearly review) though she didn't specify if it would be a salary review as well.

Unfortunately, they knew my situation and my salary at my last job, so they knew I'd probably be willing to accept a lower offer.

All in all though, I am still very happy to be employed with them and feel it will be a good career turn for me. It is nice to be employed and have benefits in the city I wanted to live in for so long.

Thanks for the support!

Dan

Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Congrats Dan... a good job in San Diego is a great accomplishment. Now you need to work on forgetting about those Eagles and Phillies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego