Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM

25 posts, read 98,107 times

Advertisements

I was looking at houses on move.com and noticed while there seem to be a number of houses in my price range (~500k, 2+ bedrooms) in San Mateo, there are a limited number in Burlingame.

Is there that big of a difference between the areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenine View Post
I was looking at houses on move.com and noticed while there seem to be a number of houses in my price range (~500k, 2+ bedrooms) in San Mateo, there are a limited number in Burlingame.

No, not really. San Mateo has a far more robust downtown than Burlingame does and you'd be right next to the san mateo bridge (to the east bay) but that's about it.

If I were you, though, I'd look in other areas on the peninsula where you get more for your money like Redwood City.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
Quote:

Burlingame is more upscale, there is no "bad or less desirable area", and all the schools are excellent. San Mateo has its excellent areas, as well as areas you don't want to live in.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times
Quote:

Yes and no. San Mateo is more than 3 times the size of Burlingame, and it has some sketchy areas, where Burlingame really does not. The housing stock in Burlingame definitely is a step up from the majority of what exists in San Mateo, but San Mateo has some upscale areas as well, mainly on its west side. San Mateo tends to be a bit more affordable than Burlingame, but you still really need to look at the neighborhood you're considering, and it has a lot more middle-class areas; Burlingame ranges from upper middle-class to upper class, with only a few streets and apartment buildings that are less than stellar.

Overall, Burlingame is a step up in terms of where to buy a home. But you'd do really well to choose either one IMO (with the exception of a few areas in San Mateo). Both cities are pretty closely intertwined, and living in one generally means you will frequent the other, so if you like both you'll pretty much have them either way. I grew up primarily in both cities, and to me they were always basically different sections of the same city. Foster City and the bordering parts of Belmont and Millbrae have always felt like that as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM

25 posts, read 98,107 times
so... where would one find the not so nice areas of San Mateo?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:

In general, east of El Camino Real.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times
Quote:
Speecifically, the North Central, Shoreview, and North Shoreview neighborhoods. Preferably you'd want to avoid anything in San Mateo that's east of the 101 freeway, and the area bounded by Poplar Ave to the north, San Mateo Drive to the West, 101 to the east, and about 5th Ave to the south. I'd also say to avoid most of the area near the court house between Peninsula/Poplar/Humboldt/Amphlett. Most of it is not really THAT bad, but there are some gangs/crime in those areas and they're not where I'd recommend looking into buying a home.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Speecifically, the North Central, Shoreview, and North Shoreview neighborhoods. Preferably you'd want to avoid anything in San Mateo that's east of the 101 freeway, and the area bounded by Poplar Ave to the north, San Mateo Drive to the West, 101 to the east, and about 5th Ave to the south. I'd also say to avoid most of the area near the court house between Peninsula/Poplar/Humboldt/Amphlett. Most of it is not really THAT bad, but there are some gangs/crime in those areas and they're not where I'd recommend looking into buying a home.
Yea this... Shoreview is all TCGs (Tongan Crips). San Mateo aint a dangerous city by any stretch but I still wouldnt move to Shoreview. The rest of the areas he mentioned are iffy but not bad.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yea this... Shoreview is all TCGs (Tongan Crips). San Mateo aint a dangerous city by any stretch but I still wouldnt move to Shoreview. The rest of the areas he mentioned are iffy but not bad.
Ugh @ TCGs...its so funny how that never gained steam in Oakland.

You have to forgive me but having traveled to Shoreview more times than I can remember over the span of 35 years(LOL), It doesnt seem bad at all(but I guess that's my Oakland perspective).

Reminds me of Hayward and San Leandro.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ugh @ TCGs...its so funny how that never gained steam in Oakland.

You have to forgive me but having traveled to Shoreview more times than I can remember over the span of 35 years(LOL), It doesnt seem bad at all(but I guess that's my Oakland perspective).

Reminds me of Hayward and San Leandro.
Yeah, I used to work in Shoreview, and never had a single problem... but if you had to name the "bad neighborhood" in San Mateo, I guess that would be it! The others gave all the necessary advice, so I'll just say as somebody who grew up at the SM-Burlingame border (West Poplar Ave), you can't go wrong with either town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland