Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Since Zim is a privately owned company, I'm not sure what 'message' is being sent here?
Exactly. It's not like this "protest" had any important ideological point except to cause disruption with legal trade and commerce. It's certainly nothing to be "proud" of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
No riots. A simple healthy, productive protest. Beautiful, really.
Why was this protest thoughtful? Zim Shipping has no power to conduct policy when it comes to treatment of Palestinians. This protest had about as much meaning as protesting a ship with a cargo hold full of Hyundai Cars.

This was simply an unlawful disruption of legal commerce and trade. These "protesters" aka law breakers, were lucky that the Oakland Police Dept is broke and incompetent, any other city would've brought out the tear gas and thrown many of them into county jail.

Quote:
Go back to reading The Orange County Register. I'm sure there's a gaggle of interesting tidbits in there.

Oh, look, I knew it:

5 garage sales in Mission Viejo this weekend | sale, saturdaywhat, items - News - The Orange County Register

There were 5 garage sales in Mission Viejo this weekend! Did you go to them all?!
No, I actually spent Friday-Sunday on Catalina Island with my wife. I was able to take a nice long ferry ride because unlike Oakland, protesters weren't blocking the docks unlawfully. That's how nice communities are.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
I think the last 3 posters have a severe case of the simple mind syndrome.

Don't see a correlation between private ownership and the originating government? That's odd. Don't think that statements like that don't at least assist in the process of waking up the government on policies that are overwhelmingly unpopular - except, of course, to you three dolts.

Did anyone miss where Israel softened their stance on this ridiculous 3-year old blockade because of the overwhelming public outcry?

You can still be Zionist, or even Anti-Palestinian and still support a peaceful protest that aims at curbing violence oversees. The way I see it - regardless of your worldview - it's hard to call people who have a legitimate anger 'idiots' for putting across their message peacefully and quite frankly, quite successfully.

I've been there and I speak both languages fluently (Arabic and Hebrew) and sorry to hurt anyone's feelings here politically, but this was a cool thing for many reasons. And I'm happy for anyone who participated.

---

On the flip side, the Mehserle trial that is ongoing in L.A. should make for a depressing day to be in Oakland because there isn't one part of me that agrees with the way that some in the Bay Area have acted so classless in the aftermath of the Grant shooting. Those are senseless riots. If you were here and weren't as awful of a person as you seem to be, maybe you'd know the difference. If you wanted to lambaste Oakland in that conversation, fine, but don't ruin a certainly necessary protest like the one put out in the OP simply because you have nothing better to do with your life.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I think the last 3 posters have a severe case of the simple mind syndrome.

Don't see a correlation between private ownership and the originating government? That's odd. Don't think that statements like that don't at least assist in the process of waking up the government on policies that are overwhelmingly unpopular - except, of course, to you three dolts.
Speaking of simple minded syndrome, explain how economically damaging a private company for how its government conducts foreign policy is fair to the company?

It's a form of terrorism because the people being attacked do not have power to change policy directly.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 16,747 times
Choosing democratically in terrorism, sending hundreds of missiles on civil population, smuggling hot & cold weapons, kidnapping citizens, violation of human rights, and the list goes on..
The blockage was created in order to protect Israel in many ways, whereas kidnapping and missiles are involved.

Violence leads to more violence, escalation is growing by the day like a snow ball.

If the same thing happened in the US, I wonder what the reaction would be.

This protest, was caused by people that didn't experience much outside the protective walls of US..

Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It seems that protesters picketed the wrong ship:
All Seeing Eye: Anti-Israel Protestors Picket Chinese Ship

Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
That's classic, and very fitting.

Puddy won't be back in this thread anytime soon.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This is the best example I could have possibly produced why it's important to research what you find on blogs.

Protesters prevent unloading of Israeli ship - Inside Bay Area

Here's the actual story. The Israeli ship won't dock until the workers are able to get through the picket line. From what I understand, the Chinese ship you're referring to just happened to be in the way of getting unloaded as well - sort of collateral damage, if you will.

The link you presented - by the way, is the equivalent to an e-rag mag - took the line about the Chinese ship either by mistake or intentionally and ran with it.

I won't blame you though - it's an extremely misleading article but then again, that was its intention. I will laugh at Mr. Fantastic for bandwagoning on to your post without actually researching it on his own.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyki View Post
Choosing democratically in terrorism, sending hundreds of missiles on civil population, smuggling hot & cold weapons, kidnapping citizens, violation of human rights, and the list goes on..
The blockage was created in order to protect Israel in many ways, whereas kidnapping and missiles are involved.

Violence leads to more violence, escalation is growing by the day like a snow ball.

If the same thing happened in the US, I wonder what the reaction would be.

This protest, was caused by people that didn't experience much outside the protective walls of US..

Cause and effect. Without taking one side or the other, you have to understand that for each cause, there is an effect. You can't dehumanize EITHER group of people and not expect for there to be unwanted results from that.

Israel deserves protections, but so does Palestine. Only one of those countries, however, have been receiving those protections. The list of Israeli atrocities on the innocent men, women, and children in the WB and Gaza are evident to anyone who isn't blinded by them.

I won't get it into much further - I've been there. I enjoy both peoples. It's unfortunate how it has turned into but don't believe for a second that it's a one-way street. I witnessed atrocities, I wrote my university thesis in a centrist manner regarding the atrocities on both sides. There hasn't been any high ground.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
Don't people have lives? Work, family, and friends takes up most of my time, I don't know where people have all this free time to protest all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland