Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
bison
Buffalo burgers are goooood...like beef but sweeter, or something. I've never had one in SF though, only at this one place in a little town in the Sierras. Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness has some pretty good buffalo stew though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 68,203 times
Vals in Hayward, awesome burgers and shakes

Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
-Adam's Burger on Lakeshore in Oakland
-Giant Burger (Oakland franchise)
-Barney's Gourmet Burgers

Most people already mentioned the others

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

22 posts, read 68,203 times
Alameda Grill, a little hamburger adjacent to a bike shop in Alameda. I've never eaten there but have heard great things about this place for years. I've been meaning to go forever to try them out.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Buffalo burgers are goooood...like beef but sweeter, or something. I've never had one in SF though, only at this one place in a little town in the Sierras. Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness has some pretty good buffalo stew though.
http://www.roamburgers.com/menu.pdf (broken link)

this may be your kinda place.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Flipper's in Hayes Valley has really tasty burgers. I don't think they use special meat but there's something about their burgers that is really good.

Burger Joint and Burgermeister have several locations and are pretty solid.

Magnolia Brewery in the Haight has a burger which is rather small and pricy at $13 but it is one of the best and most flavorful burgers I've had in a while.

I recently moved to Oakland and haven't tried any places other than Christopher's, (which I wasn't crazy about, good fries but the burger seemed awfully dry and had a weird texture) I'd like to try Barney's sometime soon.
TRue burger is way better than Barneys. I hear the burgers at Chop Bar are awesome. Mua's burgers are very good.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,405 times
If you are in the South Bay, St. John's Bar and Grill in Sunnyvale has some tasty burgers. Plus, they are half price Wednesday evenings and all day Saturday.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Yeah, I've been dying to try Roam. Barney's is okay but not spectacular. Burger Joint isn't that great. We've been told Urbun Burger on Valencia is supposed to be really good. Houston's (now Hillstone -- same owners) used to make a great burger, but last time it sucked. In-n-Out is great for fast food. Nation's in the East Bay makes a good, cheap, greasy old-fashioned burger. George's Giant Hamburger has been rated best burger in Contra Costa County for decades, but never tried it (it's in Walnut Creek). Stanford's in Walnut Creek (a PNW chain restaurant at the mall) makes some decent, well priced burgers. The Habit (from Santa Barbara) is coming to the East Bay, and I found their burgers very disappointing. Islands (in Sacramento -- SoCal chain) does a killer line of burgers. But that's a bit of a hike!

My thoughts: ask your butcher to grind up some organic chuck, fire up the grill, and make your own!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Millies in Lafayette -- very good -- and the fries are to DIE for.
I second Vals in Hayward. And the shakes are for two people...

I never got the whole In and Out thing -- it's not that they are bad, they are just like my burgers. Which are good. I make a fine burger. But if I make a fine burger, why go buy one that tastes JUST like mine.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Millies in Lafayette -- very good -- and the fries are to DIE for.
I second Vals in Hayward. And the shakes are for two people...

I never got the whole In and Out thing -- it's not that they are bad, they are just like my burgers. Which are good. I make a fine burger. But if I make a fine burger, why go buy one that tastes JUST like mine.
Stop copying In-N-Out, lol....just kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland