Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But its not their fault that they keep getting elected---its ours!

I am huge opponent of term limits and redistricting done by any body aside from elected legislators because they are our represented. Some specially appointed group by the Governor is going to be slanted towards that Guv's party...which Arnold successfully pushed through but it looks like Brown is going to get to take advantage of if he become Governor.

Anyway, I appreciate your points in this thread. Thanks.
How do you figure that? The Commission, who the Governor does not appoint, will be made up of 3 democrats, 3 republicans, and 3 from neither party (independents). CA voters approved this proposition, not Arnold. I don't get how anyone thinks that are districts don't need to be redrawn and more fair, they are gerrymandered like no other. The only people who are against this are democrats afraid that they'll actually have to compete for their seat like they should be doing. IMO they are showing their true colors too by opposing this, they love the status quo even though the status quo sucks for everyone else. Yeah we keep electing them but their corrupt gerrymandering is a big reason why, that isn't right at all. Finally the voters got smart to their corrupt BS and took the power away from them. Not sure why an elected body that has a whopping 9% approval rating should be allowed to draw their own boundaries to get elected.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How do you figure that? The Commission, who the Governor does not appoint, will be made up of 3 democrats, 3 republicans, and 3 from neither party (independents). CA voters approved this proposition, not Arnold.
Sorry, I just recall some commercial a long time ago...guess I was wrong.

BUT, I still prefer to let the legislature do the redistricting because they are our elected officials and having some commission creates a useless layer of bureaucracy that we don't need.

Furthermore the voters passed it I still think its totally wrong.

We put people in office to do these sorts of things-and the minority party should NOT be able to try and change that by 'leveling the playing field' in any way other than at the ballot box.

If your party is losing influence, then perhaps your party is doing something wrong and needs to retool its message in order to get more support, but not these back room antics. I cant stand that.

Bottom line to me is, if we don't like how our elected officials are doing their job-then vote them out.

This is partly why I am so in favor of Prop 25-cause the two-thirds requirement to pass the budget has only given far right factions in the legislature a voice that is louder then what it should be.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry, I just recall some commercial a long time ago...guess I was wrong.

BUT, I still prefer to let the legislature do the redistricting because they are our elected officials and having some commission creates a useless layer of bureaucracy that we don't need.

Furthermore the voters passed it I still think its totally wrong.

We put people in office to do these sorts of things-and the minority party should NOT be able to try and change that by 'leveling the playing field' in any way other than at the ballot box.

If your party is losing influence, then perhaps your party is doing something wrong and needs to retool its message in order to get more support, but not these back room antics. I cant stand that.

Bottom line to me is, if we don't like how our elected officials are doing their job-then vote them out.

This is partly why I am so in favor of Prop 25-cause the two-thirds requirement to pass the budget has only given far right factions in the legislature a voice that is louder then what it should be.
I agree somewhat, at least in theory; I am also against term limits as I think they are pointless. But at the same time how can you just sweep the egregious gerrymandering of our legislative districts under the rug so easily? It's unfair and undemocratic. When the rules of the game have been unfairly changed that has created an uneven playing field that favors extreme partisanship, why not correct that? The legislature has a 9% approval rating yet they keep getting elected, something is wrong with the system when that is the case imo.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The problem is we have stereotypes associated with everything. And San Frans stereotype proceeds it due to the media. Look at the gay part, code pink, Pelosi, colleges stopping recruiters, the mayor and the list goes on. The media doesnt truly show what is going on. Most people that arent affected by politics arent involved in politics. Until welfare, medical, home ownership etc affect you, politics wont be a part of your life.
Pelosi represents a very very very small part of this country. The country is divided pretty equally as far as conservative and liberal goes. But, as the country matures, politics change,.
The Key point with Pelosi and all over the hill politicians, is they need to go retire, and let new ideas and people get in and run our country through the voice of the people.And the Health care was/is an abortion. No one read it, how could that be a good plan. Tort reform wasnt even in there, but there are allot of pork belly poltics and strong arm deals thrown in it as we find out day by day.
Let's see, you freely admit that there is a stereotype about SF, and yet you promote that as truth? That sounds incredibly disingenuous of you.

Look, it's legitimate to critique Pelosi and her policies but to make ad infinitum comments about her is a sign of a logical fallacy - poor argument.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Hmm, time for some logic. Pelosi's district does not even cover 10% of the bay area's population (in fact it does not even encompass all of sf). So considering 90% of the bay area and 99% of california are not in her district, my guess would be "no".

Got a problem with the way the country is going, write your own freakin congressmen in your own freakin back yard. You don't live in SF, lay off Pelosi, she owes nothing to you.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4xMOwldSk

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Pelosi would have been the congresswoman from numerous areas of California; she is far less liberal than many other California Democrats and would easily be elected if she happened to live in any other region of the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Sacramento, Chico, Santa Cruz, Monterey, all of the North Coast counties with the exception of Del Norte, etc. Pelosi is a typical California Democrat, sort of in the middle but definitely for the environment, human rights, economic justice, universal health care, limited U.S. involvement in foreign wars, anti-global corporations, medical science, anti-death penalty, universal education subsidy, pre-school and after-school programs, etc. In other words, the Democratic agenda for a nation suffering under the uneducated, superstitious, capitalist xenophobia of the previous president and the current GOP. There really isn't a choice for human beings.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Hmm, time for some logic. Pelosi's district does not even cover 10% of the bay area's population (in fact it does not even encompass all of sf). So considering 90% of the bay area and 99% of california are not in her district, my guess would be "no".

Got a problem with the way the country is going, write your own freakin congressmen in your own freakin back yard. You don't live in SF, lay off Pelosi, she owes nothing to you.
The other part of SF, by the way, is the southwest, which belongs to the San Mateo district of Jackie Speier. That is a woman for whom I have unqualified admiration, and who has no credible competition in her race.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
mod interpose: This thread is a good example of why some moderators don't allow political discussions in the forums they moderate. There are a lot of personal attacks, baiting each other, and off topic posts. There are still off topic posts remaining in this thread and there are also some attacking post remaining but we've removed the worst ones.

Since there's no designated moderator for this forum, I'll leave this thread open but if it continues to degenerate, it will be closed and you all will be asked to move the conversation over to the P&OC forum.

These types of threads are a distraction for our local forums which should try to be focusing on discussing topics related to relocation, visitor information, or answering inquiries from those newly relocated to the area.

Again, if we receive further complaints about this thread, it will be closed so we ask that all of your participating will cooperate and review our T.O.S. as it pertains to interaction between members:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

"Trolling" is prohibited.
Thanks.

--'r

Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Can we get back to the topic? I guess people are a bit anxious since the election is less than 2 weeks away. But if past elections are an indication it will not go well for Republicans in California even in a year when many people are very upset and projecting their frustration on the government. California will survive as it always has since it truly is the "Golden State" head and shoulders more interesting and more progressive than any other state. What state would even allow their citizens to vote on legalizing marijuana? We should all be grateful to live in California and not let people who are more like Southerners provoke arguments; deep down inside they hate California because it is everything they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland