Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
So what is stopping you from moving? If you are miserable, move. I don't care if you stay here, I'd like it if my state wasn't full of whiners who wish California was more like Texas or Arizona. I'd be miserable in a backwards state like Texas so I don't live there, instead I chose to live in the Bay Area. And I'd bet that you've done pretty well as a multiple property owner and small business owner precisely because California has such a vibrant and massive economy.

If you guys actually lived in San Francisco you'd know that it was a perfectly normal place, but since you don't you think it's ok to spew out all the dumb stereotypes. And if you do live in SF and still do it, then you're blind and again should move somewhere that is apparently making you insane as well as miserable.
My employees, plain and simple. We hire rarely, and when we do, its for the long term. Most of my employees have been with the company from before I could legally work. My employees have history here, children in school, own homes, etc.

I am not miserable. I weigh the "consequences" of living in CA frequently. I never said I was miserable. What I did say, was that people have a reason to laugh at us. I'm not talking about progressive rights for "protected classes". I have no problem with Gay people marrying, immigrants coming here to work, or any number of the wacky things people hate CA for. I do have a problem with the people who feel they know best, pushing regulations on everyone else, without considering the alternative.

My business does very well, but not because of a thriving economy here in CA. My business is not retail - we do almost all of our business mail-order, which could be done from anywhere. Most of our customers are NOT in CA.

I HAVE spend quite a bit of time in SF. I owned a sailboat that was purchased from a guy in sausalito (Schoonmaker Point Marina). We kept it there for years before moving it to MDR, and subsequently selling it. I don't find anything wrong on a day-to-day basis with SF. As I said before, my problem is from the attitude that "we know best" coming out of CA's elite cities. They dont, in fact, know best. If they did, we truly would having a thriving economy and the government would not struggle to stay above water financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Another thing, that I'd like to mention:

You keep calling out several states in particular as being "backwards". I don't necessarily think thats fair. If a majority of the country feels one thing, and a small area of the country (call it, san fransisco) feels another, who is actually backwards.

The problem here NOT people's differing ways of thinking. The problem is one group of people DEMANDING that its "their way or the highway" and the other group feeling the same. The problem here is NOT differing ideas, its San Fransisco's absolute denial of other ideas. If they don't like it, to hell with them. This is NOT how we play fair.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
We don't go around being nosy and telling them how to live their lives. If you want to encourage your kids to eat fast food then go right ahead.

And the biggest threat to the state's budget is Californian voters. Voters have mandated a massive prison system with Prop 187, have mandated artificially low taxes with Prop 13 (which is basically rent control for old people) which led to Californian public schools going from #1 in the nation to #47, have voted down very modest tax increases which would have prevented the UC system from raising tuition to astronomical amounts, and have mandated a 2/3rds vote in the legislature requirement for passing a budget, which causes the budget to be ridiculously late every year when one lone Republican holds out for months so he can play coy and get all kinds of kickbacks in exchange for his vote. (thankfully I believe this 2/3rds requirement has just been repealed though by a new prop)

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
We don't go around being nosy and telling them how to live their lives. If you want to encourage your kids to eat fast food then go right ahead.

And the biggest threat to the state's budget is Californian voters. Voters have mandated a massive prison system with Prop 187, have mandated artificially low taxes with Prop 13 (which is basically rent control for old people) which led to Californian public schools going from #1 in the nation to #47, have voted down very modest tax increases which would have prevented the UC system from raising tuition to astronomical amounts, and have mandated a 2/3rds vote in the legislature requirement for passing a budget, which causes the budget to be ridiculously late every year when one lone Republican holds out for months so he can play coy and get all kinds of kickbacks in exchange for his vote. (thankfully I believe this 2/3rds requirement has just been repealed though by a new prop)
I'm sorry but you are obviously very out of touch. California, and the Bay Area particularly, are the most over-lawed, over-regulated state/areas in the country.

The UC system is still one of the cheapest, major university systems in the country and other state systems follow suit.

The super majority budget requirement has, in fact, been overturned, except for tax/fee raising.

Please do some research before commenting lest you lose any and all credibility.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
This is a contradictory statement. Banning happy meals, you ARE telling people how to live their lives. I CAN'T (in theory) encourage my kids to eat fast food in SF, because of these bans.

Also, CA's voters also voted to ban gay marriage and keep weed illegal, so just how much credit do you want to give them?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM

312 posts, read 502,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
This is a contradictory statement. Banning happy meals, you ARE telling people how to live their lives. I CAN'T (in theory) encourage my kids to eat fast food in SF, because of these bans.

Also, CA's voters also voted to ban gay marriage and keep weed illegal, so just how much credit do you want to give them?
Gay Marriage is banned just about everywhere along with weed being illegal but marijuana use is less regulated here than anywhere in the country. The local police don't care. If you want a happy meal so bad drive a few miles outside of SF or go to Burger king or one of the other fast food places..

Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
Gay Marriage is banned just about everywhere along with weed being illegal but marijuana use is less regulated here than anywhere in the country. The local police don't care. If you want a happy meal so bad drive a few miles outside of SF or go to Burger king or one of the other fast food places..
You're missing the point, and didn't respond to my post in the least.

The other poster claimed that SF doesn't try to regulate personal habits, and i promptly disagreed. If I was inclined to want a happy meal, I shouldn't have to drive past a business that SHOULD be able to sell it, just to buy it elsewhere.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
You're missing the point, and didn't respond to my post in the least.

The other poster claimed that SF doesn't try to regulate personal habits, and i promptly disagreed. If I was inclined to want a happy meal, I shouldn't have to drive past a business that SHOULD be able to sell it, just to buy it elsewhere.
I'm not missing your point at all, my point was is a toy that big of a deal? You can still order the cheese burger and fries. So they don't give you a cheaply made Chinese toy. Big deal.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
I'm not missing your point at all, my point was is a toy that big of a deal? You can still order the cheese burger and fries. So they don't give you a cheaply made Chinese toy. Big deal.

Yes ... you are. My point has nothing to do with the actual toy or the food. My point is the government is telling a privately owned business what they can or cannot sell to a private individual, and thus, taking judgement away from ME and placing it in the hands of the gov. It builds a case that SF politics strives to push one group's ideals on the rest of us, regardless of how they feel about the issue.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yes ... you are. My point has nothing to do with the actual toy or the food. My point is the government is telling a privately owned business what they can or cannot sell to a private individual, and thus, taking judgement away from ME and placing it in the hands of the gov. It builds a case that SF politics strives to push one group's ideals on the rest of us, regardless of how they feel about the issue.
"Government" does it everyday. It's apart of life, you can either move or deal with it. Now if this was something that was important it's be worth getting angry over but this is the last thing I'd waste my time and energy worrying about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland