Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 AM

32 posts, read 100,360 times

Advertisements

I've become increasingly frustrated with the SF forums here...every optimistic twenty-something who comes through here with less than 5K is told they will starve to death in San Francisco. I am one of those prospective twenty-somethings who has been told to move to Austin or Chicago by every single person over 30 because SF is "way too expensive." My younger friends have told me that I will be absolutely fine. There are plenty of young people who have jobs in bakeries or bookshops in SF....how would it be IMPOSSIBLE for a college educated person with small job experience to survive in your city? I'd give my left arm to live in San Francisco and have since I was 18...I hate that every day I think "Well, maybe I'll live for a few months in another city and save up money [for a long period of time] to move to California."

Positivity in this thread is welcome and encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Just do it. Stop listening to people. Every time I've relocated in my life I've done so without consulting anyone.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
If immigrants can come here with no money, cant even speak the damn language, and make it, then why can't our own youth?

Kid, just do it and screw the scaredy-cats who want you to be deathly afraid to spread your wings just because they never mustered up the courage to LIVE themselves.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
San Francisco especially when compared to the rest of the Bay Area/California is not cheap. Unless you have a roommate, public assistance, and or some sort of grant/stipend that pays for your room it is not ideal to move with $5k. We are in a deep recession and the people that tell you to stay put and or move somewhere else over 30 is probably wondering why you want to struggle. When you bring kids into the picture this place is WAY too expensive. Who knows you may get lucky and get a good job.

Good luck to you. Hope you do what makes sense for you. If it doesn't work out here can you easily move back to where you came from?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
18Montclair, we posted at the same time. But immigrants move here with a plan already set up. They have programs unique to their situation, have housing set up, most of the time if they have to room with someone they don't have to pay rent and if they do it is like $50, a lot of the times they even have family here already. Food and healthcare is basically free for them because again they have the system down. If this person has the system down move here.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
People just want you to be prepared about the cost of living. It isn't unlike NYC. Expensive, crappy apartments. Many people come to SF expecting to live the "good life" with surfers, shopping, sun, and bar hopping and then he get a reality check after writing their first rent check. You have $5k saved, if you are conservative with your money you can get by on $800 a month, but jobs are pretty scarce without connections. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I don't live in the San Francisco area or know what is going on up there. Still with someone in there 20's that does not have others to take care of, has plenty of opportunities to make it in life, and can even make a few mistakes on the way, I would say follow your dreams. The 30 or 40 something set does have experience on their side, but it is their experience and not yours. Also many times at those ages they have made their choice in life and are working to survive lets say. Maybe they have families and see their earnings pay for a lifestyle that has no financial benefits at this time. Chances are they could have mortgages that are trapping them. Many people see how it is in another low priced area that has lots of jobs and think "I wish I could get out of here and go there." They will do is offer you advice on what you should do. Their dream for the San Francisco area may be dead. Yours don't have to be.

Saying that, here is some advice, and take it for what it is worth. Keep your debt load down. Keep other expenses down. Maybe forgo the local cable company for now. You may need to rent a room or share a place with a few other like minded people. Look for opportunites to keep your dream alive.

By the way, what is your college degree in?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
18Montclair, we posted at the same time. But immigrants move here with a plan already set up. They have programs unique to their situation, have housing set up, most of the time if they have to room with someone they don't have to pay rent and if they do it is like $50, a lot of the times they even have family here already. Food and healthcare is basically free for them because again they have the system down. If this person has the system down move here.
When my parents came here in the 1960s, there was no such system, they recieved no government assistance, no welfare, no subsidized health, nothing. They worked several low paying jobs until they were able to save up money to start their own businesses. They made a life for themselves and made sure their kids grew up and went to college and made something of themselves too.

In any event, times are different now, but the same principles apply.

If you work hard and increase your value to society either through training or education, you will have doors opened to you that would otherwise remain shut.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfield View Post
I've become increasingly frustrated with the SF forums here...every optimistic twenty-something who comes through here with less than 5K is told they will starve to death in San Francisco. I am one of those prospective twenty-somethings who has been told to move to Austin or Chicago by every single person over 30 because SF is "way too expensive." My younger friends have told me that I will be absolutely fine. There are plenty of young people who have jobs in bakeries or bookshops in SF....how would it be IMPOSSIBLE for a college educated person with small job experience to survive in your city? I'd give my left arm to live in San Francisco and have since I was 18...I hate that every day I think "Well, maybe I'll live for a few months in another city and save up money [for a long period of time] to move to California."

Optimistic is good, but realistic is far more important in this day and age.

You CAN do it but you need to think about the what if's and have an appropriate backup plan in case you don't find a job or roommates right away..which is very possible now days.

You shouldn't be so frustrated by what you read on the forums. If all you want to hear is the romantic stuff about San Francisco, then you shouldn't be asking for asking for advice or suggestions from locals on a message board.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfield View Post

You can do it...you'll probably just be rooming in a small, dingy place with two other people in a somewhat seedier part of the Mission. And you won't have money for much else. But many younger people consider that to be "cool". It all depends on the living standard you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland