Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 15,626 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm starting a new job in the Dublin/Pleasanton area and am trying to figure out where to live (which is really difficult when you know nothing about the area!). I've been checking into Walnut Creek and San Jose (per suggestions) but would love some advice.

I'd like to live in a city-type area that has plenty of "younger people" and is relatively close to a major interstate/highway. While I would love to live in San Fran, the commute is way too long for me - I want to avoid spending hours in the car each day going to and from Pleasanton.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Last edited by Stephi9513; 11-28-2007 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
I wouldn't suggest San Jose - the commute will be AWFUL, and it's not "hopping" enough to be worth all of that. You should consider Berkeley or Oakland (parts), which are both on the BART line... assuming your work-place is near the Dublin/Pleasanton station, that would be a very easy & stress-free commute. They're both pretty cool cities, with the most "city vibe" you'll get outside of San Francisco. If that's too far for you, try looking in Concord or Dublin/Pleasanton itself... both are nice places, though definitely more suburban and family-oriented. Other possibilities would be San Ramon, Livermore, Hayward & San Leandro - but the latter two aren't that great IMO, and I hear Livermore is very dull. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM

18 posts, read 95,522 times
Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill/Concord area might be a good fit for you. I live in Concord and work in Pleasanton (near the Pleasanton Bart station), My commute in the morning is about 25 mins and 45-50 mins in the afternoon using the carpool lane. If I take public transportation, it takes me 1 hour or so both ways. Taking public transportation is not bad at all. There is a commuter bus that shuttles people from the Walnut Creek BART station to the Pleasanton BART station. Taking the bus and then BART is pretty convenient and cheap. The bus is clean and comfortable enough to take power naps. San Jose is just too far and I doubt if you would have any options to take public transportation PLUS 680 can be a b*tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi9513 View Post
Hey! I'm starting a new job in the Dublin/Pleasanton area and am trying to figure out where to live (which is really difficult when you know nothing about the area!). I've been checking into Walnut Creek and San Jose (per suggestions) but would love some advice.

I'd like to live in a city-type area that has plenty of "younger people" and is relatively close to a major interstate/highway. While I would love to live in San Fran, the commute is way too long for me - I want to avoid spending hours in the car each day going to and from Pleasanton.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
SJ to Pleasanton is pretty hard on public transit. ACE doesn't run in that direction, and BART doesn't come all the way down yet. You'd have to take a bus to Fremont BART.. pretty expensive and slow.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,786 times
Pleasanton my home town is an excellent location for all ages. classy and clean.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:25 PM

146 posts, read 643,504 times
Hmm, I don't know if there are any other places good for young people except SF and Berkeley in the whole bay area.

I'd like to have someone prove me wrong, but a city is a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland