Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:27 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Marin County is 25% non-white or Hispanic. Its not like the county is solidly white.
Not that it is too white ( and why should it matter) it is a matter of being too rich and having too much on their plates. Time to share I say. Next stop Berverly Hills...move over Babs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Why is it that when a place is majority white it's said not to be diverse but a majority black or hispanic area does not have the same label? I agree that affordable housing should be made available to people but I certainly do not like the reasoning behind it.
I am laughing so hard at the thought of trying to bus a bunch of old while sentiors into a solidly black or hispanic community and I qualify that by saying poor communities. I think we all mingle just fine in the middle class upper middle class neighborhoods. The problems seem to be with high end neighborhoods or very poor neighborhoods, even the poor toothless southern white trash have issues that the Marin county folk seem to share.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Bully. I say good thinking for more section 8 in Marin county, bravo. We had too many of those deep thinking liberal moronic hypocrits for clients in the past and I think it is time Marin County put their ideology where their homes are. Bring them by the busload I say and let them mingle at the coffee house.
I think it's very ironic (I'm no longer a Dem for this reason, amongst others) that Marin County is one of the most liberal counties in the country (Cook PVI of D+23. In other words, if you're not a Dim, don't bother running) and yet it's not ethnically diverse and purposely zoned itself so large numbers of minorities don't move in.

Once again, liberals, especially the upper middle and upper class liberals, prove themselves to be racist NIMBYs. Us moderate and conservative counties have to accept diversity, while the ultra liberal, exclusive counties get to zone out most people that are not Caucasian.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
I love the typical racist hypocrisy that always pops up on this board. It's funny how there's always such strong anymosity towards rich white people and yet nobody ever says anything about the many douchebag minority sports athletes who are paid ridiculous amounts of money and still cry for more every time their contract is up for re-negotiation. I've also known and worked with wealthy non-white people before who were complete a**holes. Everybody conveniently doesn't bring up those people though...it's always the evil rich white people who are oppressing everybody. I've personally worked with a couple Hispanic people who are wealthy and in top management positions who were completely condascending and nasty to other Hispanic workers who were in lower positions.

People who assume that because a person is rich and they just happen to be white that they must have stepped all over people to get that way. Having worked in a business where many of the clients I dealt with made more money in a month than I make in a year, it amazes me how many people are so ignorant about wealthy people. Some people are filthy rich and you'd never know it. There are a**hole rich people though just like there are a**hole poor people as well.

If somebody worked hard and accrued a large amount of wealth, good for them. It also shouldn't matter what race they are. I wonder what the posts here would be like if the people didn't happen to be mostly white.

People can live wherever they want. How many section 8 people are willing to put in the time and effort to be able to afford to live in a place that's typically reserved for wealthy people? Personally, I'd love to live in many of the wealthier enclaves of the Bay Area. I want balance in my life though and am not willing to put in the time needed to become wealthy. I don't want to spend all my waking hours working hard and not being able to spend time with my family.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but these kinds of threads always turn into the "evil white man" thread and it's pretty old. It's obvious that many people on this board have lived in a bubble their whole life and aren't aware that there are actually plenty of good white people in the world who aren't oppressing anybody.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I love the typical racist hypocrisy that always pops up on this board. It's funny how there's always such strong anymosity towards rich white people and yet nobody ever says anything about the many douchebag minority sports athletes who are paid ridiculous amounts of money and still cry for more every time their contract is up for re-negotiation. I've also known and worked with wealthy non-white people before who were complete a**holes. Everybody conveniently doesn't bring up those people though...it's always the evil rich white people who are oppressing everybody. I've personally worked with a couple Hispanic people who are wealthy and in top management positions who were completely condascending and nasty to other Hispanic workers who were in lower positions.

People who assume that because a person is rich and they just happen to be white that they must have stepped all over people to get that way. Having worked in a business where many of the clients I dealt with made more money in a month than I make in a year, it amazes me how many people are so ignorant about wealthy people. Some people are filthy rich and you'd never know it. There are a**hole rich people though just like there are a**hole poor people as well.

If somebody worked hard and accrued a large amount of wealth, good for them. It also shouldn't matter what race they are. I wonder what the posts here would be like if the people didn't happen to be mostly white.

People can live wherever they want. How many section 8 people are willing to put in the time and effort to be able to afford to live in a place that's typically reserved for wealthy people? Personally, I'd love to live in many of the wealthier enclaves of the Bay Area. I want balance in my life though and am not willing to put in the time needed to become wealthy. I don't want to spend all my waking hours working hard and not being able to spend time with my family.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but these kinds of threads always turn into the "evil white man" thread and it's pretty old. It's obvious that many people on this board have lived in a bubble their whole life and aren't aware that there are actually plenty of good white people in the world who aren't oppressing anybody.
As a successful African American made so by hard work.. I say 'hear hear' to your post. Scroll back some places and you will see that Marin county actually has several low income housing areas ..... In those areas : 47 percent are White, 41 percent are African-American, 11 percent are Asian, and 1% are
American-Indian... Mission accomplished... they have zoning for such areas w/ restrictions.. Logical restrictions. But leave it to Bureaucrats looking out for their own self interest to spin things ... The only oppressor I see most often in this country are the clowns who run our government .. Who manipulate the dummies in the country in order to be their foot soldiers in furthering their personal agendas... not agendas which are best for this country.

+1 rep point for you .. an a**hole is an a**hole and comes in all shape, sizes, and colors. I don't enjoy crime or idiots in my neighborhood as much as the next person. Diversity be d*mned. It wouldn't be so much a problem if Americans had culture like the Japanese ... for which poverty is not necessarily associated w/ being a jackwagon .. but in this country (America) in which poverty is like paradise in other countries ... which you can live the high life on another dime.. people don't develop morals.. decency... act right.. So yeah, nobody wants section 8 housing near them .. not because they hate minorities/the poor but because of the idiocy/crime/nonsense that most often times comes w/ those that are poor.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,937 times
Marin does have a lot more "white trash" types than it wants to admit. They are the people who got in here because they qualified for an interest only mortgage and are willing to pay 40% of their income in order to get a zip code that they believe will make folks think they are far more than they really are. Obviously no one ever told them that it takes much more than that and their mortgage didn't buy them the class they thought it would. These folks are "wannabes" and they are awful. Just like most folks that come from these backgrounds they desperately need to make sure that minorities stay oppressed and out of sight. They need someone to look down upon in order to feel good about themselves. Their politics are repulsive and they are pretty much everything they say they hate but then itsn't that always the case? They've pulled Marin way down especially in the last 5 to 7 years when this group found validation through the whole Tea Party movement.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when "low cost housing" and "minority" don't go hand in hand. It's almost as if people want to keep it that way huh?
This is my big complaint when discussing this with my liberal/lefty friends. I'm big on individual development and responsibility. Some will never learn to rely on themselves first and buy into victimhood instead as is the easy alternative as offered by some groups and the government.
Too many people simply do not prepare for their future for so many reasons I'm not going into here - that's a huge mistake!
I'm very supportive of diversity but the artificial "fixes" such as forcing Section 8 etc. into areas just seems to create resentment. Even when that happens, those that are supposed to benefit from the move seem to not understand they need to put out a great deal of effort to take of advantage of the opportunity.
Sadly many miss that memo and instead believe they will receive more for free and therefore fail. When that happens they too quickly complain they weren't given enough as that is the prevailing propaganda by various groups.
Go ahead, declare me a bigot or something but I'll put my tolerance creds up against anyone.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

the idiocy/crime/nonsense that most often times comes w/ those that are poor.
Often comes from boardrooms high up in shiny buildings, too. Too bad that gets rewarded (bailed out by taxpayers, even!) instead of prosecuted. But hard to pick on faceless folks hidden from public view.
That the well-heeled in Marin have practically zoned a massive latter-day housing covenant for themselves is testament to the desire of the rich, of whatever persuasion, to put up walls between them and the little people, that they may continue their reign from high in the hills as they see fit. Also makes it easy to create the next generation of silver spoon cherubs who shall not come into contact with any "undesirables" as well.
Perhaps it is refraining from encouraging situations in which demographics avoid all contact with any outside their own that should be examined in this debate. Forcing populations into communities isn't the answer, but opening opportunities for more to at least have the choice might be.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I am the voice of someone in affordable housing, and on the waiting list for Section 8. I moved to Redding from Santa Clara, because this was the nicest town (IMO) where I could afford to live on my fixed income, of the options I had in Northern CA. BTW: Low income housing in the SF Bay Area, unless it's Section 8 based, is often still too pricey for many low-income folk. Whereas Section 8 rent is roughly 30% of your income.

I have not seen one person who lives in my senior subsidized housing building here in Redding (52 apartments, I think), who would be considered a person of color.

So, as someone else said, low income does not necessarily equal diversity. And as someone else said, people move where they are comfortable. I would not be comfortable in Marin, probably. I want to be able to run around town in my funky old sneakers, t-shirt and jeans. I want a Grocery Outlet store in town. I am comfortable in a town where I can blend in and there's affordable shopping in town.

I don't want my appearance to scream "low income - incoming!" I fit in here. I'm used to the diversity of the East Bay (where I grew up) and the South Bay (Santa Clara), so it's been a bit strange rarely hearing another language. But, I don't get the sense the town is racist, either. But, I can understand why there aren't a lot of people here of color. They stand out here. I like to blend in.

And there is no agri-business here, so no hispanic population to speak of either. How would the feds suggest diversifying Redding? The low income housing is already here. Apparently, if you build it, they do not always come.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:50 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
All I can say is, here we go again. Another federal fiasco in the making by artificially trying to mix people who don't want to be forced together. Does no one else remember busing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland