Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Good summary mayorhaggar. As long as you head east from Macarthur it goes from in transition to nice. One secret about Macarthur BART is that you can take the free Kaiser shuttle. As long as you live above Piedmont Ave, it has a few convenient stops along the way. It runs till 11 on weekdays. Not sure on the weekend times.

In the PM I walk from Macarthur BART (i have about 1 mi walk), drive, bus or taxi depending on the day and how tired I am. I've walked as late as about 11pm home from the BART, and bussed until midnight or so. No problems! My sister doesn't drive at all, so she relys on walking/transit from Macarthur BART -- she lives closer to BART than I do.

So you can start with Piedmont Ave, Adams Point, Rockridge, and Temescal. They have the best transit options nearby. Piedmont Ave has lots of apartments. If you look around 40 and Broadway there are lots of options, and most buildings have parking. One bedrooms are about $1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 16,555 times
Thanks guys great information. So I'm thinking I can sacrifice being close to Bart in order to save some money from what is sounds like driving looks like it will be easier. I have a couple more questions. If was to live East of the Macarthur Station between Piedmont and Oakland ave, what is this area like? Also, from what it sounds like the only bad parts would be west of the Macarthur Bart station and south. About what street number south does it become not as safe? Is to the east of this area all pretty nice? Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Oh and I forgot. You mentioned Piedmont ave around Broadway. What is the parking situation like on the street. We will likely be having two cars for awhile. Is there any areas that have plenty of parking? Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't fret View Post
Thanks guys great information. So I'm thinking I can sacrifice being close to Bart in order to save some money from what is sounds like driving looks like it will be easier. I have a couple more questions. If was to live East of the Macarthur Station between Piedmont and Oakland ave, what is this area like? Also, from what it sounds like the only bad parts would be west of the Macarthur Bart station and south. About what street number south does it become not as safe? Is to the east of this area all pretty nice? Thanks again.
Once you are off Broadway it is nice, quiet, and safe. I live around Oakland Ave and Monte Vista. The only annoying thing is the big hill on the way home from Piedmont Ave. It is really diverse, lots of young people and there are retirement homes in the area too. So basically you see all ages and ethnicities. The buildings west of Piedmont Ave generally charge for parking spaces ~$50 a month. You can find street parking, but it may take a bit of circling late in the evening. I have typically found spots within in a block after a few minutes, maybe driving on 2 streets. Once you are above Piedmont Ave, buildings generally do not charge for parking, and every building has some sort of garage. On my street, I generally see 1-2 spots all times of day, but sometimes they are higher up on the hill. But I have a secure spot. Midday, on weekdays, it is hard to find a spot. Lots of Kaiser workers park in neighborhood land. And commuters. They are generally gone by the evening and parking availability increases.

Generally try to stay above Macarthur for the nicest areas. There are some number streets below that are OK, it varies block by block, but nothing too bad. The only drawback of most areas let's say between Broadway and Oakland Ave between ~24th and Macarthur is that some of those streets are a little dark. They are decently safe, but a little less safe than the Piedmont Ave area. Not that much foot traffic, but you'll run into hipster bike riders, dog walkers and the occasional forager.

Directly South of Macarthur BART is a weird grey land area -- "Lower Temescal," Koreatown, and the middle eastern hub. The intersection of Telegraph and Macarthur can appear a bit sketchier than it actually is. Telegraph is just an all around sketchy looking street. I wouldn't walk south on Telegraph below Macarthur at night. It is too dark and quiet, not much people traffic, but the area has cleaned up A LOT in the past let's say 10-15 years. Once you get to the Walgreens (33rd or so) people traffic really drops off. Day time it is fine. It just has a weird mix of stuff, spillover from Pill Hill and lots of different ethnic stores and restaurants.

I'd recommend walking up 40th generally from the BART. The street is busy and bright with car and people traffic. Hipster art school kids have been moving in all over that part of town so they are walking around all the time. 40th is a burgeoning commercial district so there are a handful of businesses on the street. Between Telegraph and Broadway around 40th is part of Temescal. This is a decent area, with a mix of houses and 3-4 story apartments/condos. 40th is also the middle of Piedmont Ave, so once you get to Howe you'll be in the commercial area, the rest is residential. You'l see Kaiser folks milling about all hours.

For you reference, Piedmont Ave is generally considered an "upscale" area in Oakland, especially since it borders one of the poshest cities in the east bay, Peidmont. Some clueless people actually think the area is not actually Oakland. Just below this neighborhood, towards BART, is Temescal. Temescal is up and coming. The section between 40th and Pleasant Valley has been nice for a while. Stuff on the other side of the freeway/Telegraph has been improving. I have a general rule of thumb for Berkeley and North Oakland. Everything east of Telegraph (or highway 24) is generally decent to nice. That's pretty much my border of east and west. There are nice areas West of Telegraph, but you have to pay a bit more attention.

It is safe, as with most cities, there is a bit more property crime in denser areas, so you should use common sense, like don't leave your ipad in your front seat.... People are friendly and helpful and there is a lot to do. The drive to Plesanton is really easy. Especially to the Stoneridge Mall area; it'll take about 25 minutes pretty much anytime of day.

** Extra note about parking, the Piedmont Grocer says anyone can park after they close as long as you are out by the AM opening time. It is a great back up plan if you are close to that part of the neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I think parking in Rockridge is easier than around Piedmont Avenue because it's mainly houses, while the Piedmont Ave area is mostly multi-unit apartment buildings so it has a denser population. I live a bit west of Broadway and 51st and there's always a lot of street spaces. I think it gets tougher the closer you are to Rockridge BART though.

The flipside to that is that there aren't many apartments in Rockridge because it's mostly houses, and apartments are more expensive than around Piedmont Ave.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM

Wow thanks for all the information. You have all been extremely helpful!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 45,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Everything east of Telegraph (or highway 24) is generally decent to nice. That's pretty much my border of east and west. There are nice areas West of Telegraph, but you have to pay a bit more attention.
Hi Jade...(sorry "don't fret" for spamming your thread...didn't want to open a new thread). I saw an apartment online by 46th street and Adeline St. Does that mean I should avoid this part of Temescal?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okydoky View Post
Hi Jade...(sorry "don't fret" for spamming your thread...didn't want to open a new thread). I saw an apartment online by 46th street and Adeline St. Does that mean I should avoid this part of Temescal?
Yup. That's especially sketchy. That is also stretching the line of Temescal. The boundaries of Temescal grow every week, but the west side of the area isn't great. I'd put the line of Temescal solidly at West or MLK. That's West Oakland/Emeryville. There is some redevelopment over there, so there are shiny new loft condos mixed in with victorians and craftsmans. It looks pretty good over there when you walk and drive around, but I'd be leery walking around at night.

If the rentals a secure apartment building, it is better than being in a single family home over there. There have been a rash of break-ins in the houses over there, an acquaintance was robbed and they took computers/jewelry/televisions and everything with decent value. In this case, it also took multiple trips to get out with such a big haul, and there are no leads. This happened two months ago. Pass on that one, it hasn't transitioned enough yet for me to live there, and there isn't enough pedestrian traffic to make it feel safer.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Once you are off Broadway it is nice, quiet, and safe. I live around Oakland Ave and Monte Vista. The only annoying thing is the big hill on the way home from Piedmont Ave. It is really diverse, lots of young people and there are retirement homes in the area too. So basically you see all ages and ethnicities. The buildings west of Piedmont Ave generally charge for parking spaces ~$50 a month. You can find street parking, but it may take a bit of circling late in the evening. I have typically found spots within in a block after a few minutes, maybe driving on 2 streets. Once you are above Piedmont Ave, buildings generally do not charge for parking, and every building has some sort of garage. On my street, I generally see 1-2 spots all times of day, but sometimes they are higher up on the hill. But I have a secure spot. Midday, on weekdays, it is hard to find a spot. Lots of Kaiser workers park in neighborhood land. And commuters. They are generally gone by the evening and parking availability increases.

Generally try to stay above Macarthur for the nicest areas. There are some number streets below that are OK, it varies block by block, but nothing too bad. The only drawback of most areas let's say between Broadway and Oakland Ave between ~24th and Macarthur is that some of those streets are a little dark. They are decently safe, but a little less safe than the Piedmont Ave area. Not that much foot traffic, but you'll run into hipster bike riders, dog walkers and the occasional forager.

Directly South of Macarthur BART is a weird grey land area -- "Lower Temescal," Koreatown, and the middle eastern hub. The intersection of Telegraph and Macarthur can appear a bit sketchier than it actually is. Telegraph is just an all around sketchy looking street. I wouldn't walk south on Telegraph below Macarthur at night. It is too dark and quiet, not much people traffic, but the area has cleaned up A LOT in the past let's say 10-15 years. Once you get to the Walgreens (33rd or so) people traffic really drops off. Day time it is fine. It just has a weird mix of stuff, spillover from Pill Hill and lots of different ethnic stores and restaurants.

I'd recommend walking up 40th generally from the BART. The street is busy and bright with car and people traffic. Hipster art school kids have been moving in all over that part of town so they are walking around all the time. 40th is a burgeoning commercial district so there are a handful of businesses on the street. Between Telegraph and Broadway around 40th is part of Temescal. This is a decent area, with a mix of houses and 3-4 story apartments/condos. 40th is also the middle of Piedmont Ave, so once you get to Howe you'll be in the commercial area, the rest is residential. You'l see Kaiser folks milling about all hours.

For you reference, Piedmont Ave is generally considered an "upscale" area in Oakland, especially since it borders one of the poshest cities in the east bay, Peidmont. Some clueless people actually think the area is not actually Oakland. Just below this neighborhood, towards BART, is Temescal. Temescal is up and coming. The section between 40th and Pleasant Valley has been nice for a while. Stuff on the other side of the freeway/Telegraph has been improving. I have a general rule of thumb for Berkeley and North Oakland. Everything east of Telegraph (or highway 24) is generally decent to nice. That's pretty much my border of east and west. There are nice areas West of Telegraph, but you have to pay a bit more attention.

It is safe, as with most cities, there is a bit more property crime in denser areas, so you should use common sense, like don't leave your ipad in your front seat.... People are friendly and helpful and there is a lot to do. The drive to Plesanton is really easy. Especially to the Stoneridge Mall area; it'll take about 25 minutes pretty much anytime of day.

** Extra note about parking, the Piedmont Grocer says anyone can park after they close as long as you are out by the AM opening time. It is a great back up plan if you are close to that part of the neighborhood.

Hi Jade,

I found a place on Claremont Ave right in between 55th and 52nd. After a little research this is in the Shafter neighborhood it looks like? after looking at some google street views research, it looks like its a pretty decent neighborhood. It's east of telegraph (barely), and is still walking distance to rockridge bart. I just wanted to know if you had any other insight on this area. Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
^
should be fine, though the highway will be a bit noisy. You're near the cool stuff on Telegraph by 51st like Genova Deli and Lanesplitter Pizza and some other shops and restaurants, and you're pretty close to BART.

I don't think anyone refers to a "Shafter neighborhood," though it pops up on map sites like Mapquest or Google Maps which I think use outdated terms for some reason. I think that people in North Oakland would consider it to be where the northern Temescal meets Rockridge's southwest corner. I think people consider anything north of 51st to be Rockridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland