Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,690,695 times

Advertisements

It has the same smell as pretty much any CA city on the coast imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,853,578 times
Smells like ganja in the Haight, fish on the wharf, money in the financial district, poo in the Tenderloin.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,791,154 times
I don't particularly like large cities which is why I live in the East Bay. To me what I think of as far as what SF smells like is bird crap along the piers. That and the smell of garbage and all the various food smells blending together. I think its the same for almost any city. I thought a lot of old East Coast cities smelled like coal or something-probably because people heated their houses with thick fuel oil. I did notice a more floral smell when I first moved here though. Guess I've gotten used to it.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
If you drive up Redwood Road to Redwood Regional/Chabot Park, and turn up Pinehurst, park up there somewhere -- anywhere -- and there is a scent that I can't describe. It's a bush of some sort -- all over Coastal California and slightly inland. It's spicy and earthy and smells so gooooood....and I really need to find out what it is, so I get some where ever we end up. To me -- that's the smell of California.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 AM

57 posts, read 134,711 times
Civic Center smells nasty. I've been to other metrops round the country and don't know why S.F. can't keep the downtown City unsmelly, though really it's hard to control every single homeless or not person....

Otherwise the ocean and fog helps do air cleaning.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,168,663 times
I like going through Burlingame and Belmont because of the eucalyptus smell. South San Francisco had a crisp sea scent to it. That's about all I really noticed anywhere.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,243,978 times
some smells you can experience in SF:

-eucalyptus
-pine
-flowers, etc, of course (are they really more "fragrant" here? I've never noticed that)
-a nice ocean breeze (gotta be near the ocean/bay for that, obviously)
-weed (vicinity to haight street, groups of teenagers, Parks, weed dispensaries, and ghetto areas increases the chance of encountering it)
-anise (anise grows like a weed in more neglected parts of SF, there are masses of it around some of the city's industrial areas for example)
-cooking food (of course, but lets say it leans more towards Asian and Latin food smells than your average American city)
-smoke from fireplaces/stoves, when it's cold at night
-sewage, in some locations near storm drains/manholes (mostly in the northeast part of the city, which is the oldest)
-urine (near concentrations of bums and drunks, nightlife areas, etc...also, why is "P i s s" censored on city-data?)

Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,521,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
some smells you can experience in SF:

-eucalyptus
-pine
-flowers, etc, of course (are they really more "fragrant" here? I've never noticed that)
-a nice ocean breeze (gotta be near the ocean/bay for that, obviously)
-weed (vicinity to haight street, groups of teenagers, Parks, weed dispensaries, and ghetto areas increases the chance of encountering it)
-anise (anise grows like a weed in more neglected parts of SF, there are masses of it around some of the city's industrial areas for example)
-cooking food (of course, but lets say it leans more towards Asian and Latin food smells than your average American city)
-smoke from fireplaces/stoves, when it's cold at night
-sewage, in some locations near storm drains/manholes (mostly in the northeast part of the city, which is the oldest)
-urine (near concentrations of bums and drunks, nightlife areas, etc...also, why is "P i s s" censored on city-data?)
I smell Eucalyptus a LOT!! I also smell food in Inner Sunset a lot and I get too tempted to eat! Luckily I dont have to deal much with the bad smell because I dont use public transit and a brief part of my bike commute thru civic center is smelly-

Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,504,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Smells like ganja in the Haight, fish on the wharf, money in the financial district, poo in the Tenderloin.
Ya forgot the urine!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 PM

484 posts, read 822,897 times
When the wind is not blowing one can often get a strong whiff of raw sewage or stagnant bay water around the Embarcadero between Mission and Howard. Check it out sometime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland