Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

Look, we're just trying to be honest with you and make sure you're prepared. I used to live in Chicago and the rental market is SOOOOOOOO much more relaxed...you just call up a landlord who's advertised a place, schedule an appointment, meet one on one at the place and if you like it you sign a deposit and the place is yours. Here a lot of the time the landlords schedule an open house viewing and you have to go and jostle with a lot of other people and it can be competitive. But the economy sucks right now though which reduces demand, and you'd be looking in the suburbs which are a lot less competitive than San Francisco. I just think you might run into landlords and property companies that are still too uptight and unwilling to budge on things like wanting tenants who have jobs. You might find it's really easy, but I just find that landlords here can be annoyingly picky about tenants, and then after putting you through the wringer they usually don't keep their properties in good shape.

SF is just not a great place right now to just show up and expect to find a job quickly and be able to get an apartment right away especially without a job. When the economy is good here, then it's very easy to get a job although that makes finding an apartment harder because more people have the money to move. Maybe you'll make it here but we're just trying to give you fair warning. I expect Chicago isn't great right now for moving to without a job or for finding a job either, it's just quite a bit cheaper for apartments, I had a huge 1br in Ravenswood in Chicago for $750 and now I live in a small studio in Oakland for $850.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM

140 posts, read 436,523 times
Default In-law unit recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL2007 View Post
Thanks for the help so far. Also I will try to get the acronyms correct! Not SFO- SF...

I know I should have a job first, but I have the means to pay a landlord if I had to, a years rent up front. I am really looking for a 6mon deal, so this way when I do find a job..I can relocate. If anyone know of a reputable real estate company, maybe that is the way to go. I would like to get this move done with by July. Again any thoughts?
Many people have in-law units in the bay area, and may be interested in renting their in-law to someone who needs temporary place to stay until find job, etc. Another option are the weekly rentals - that's what I rented in SF until I found a job, then got an apartment. Don't let anyone discourage you. I moved here, and got started without a job. It can be hard to find a job long-distance, better to be here to interview. In health field, you should find something.

Look under sublets & temporary on Craigslist:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/sub/
or http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sub/

Or in SF, I had stayed at the Monroe Residence Club to get started off when relocating to SF. They didn't require that I have a job. Then when here drive all over, decide where want to work, get job, then get your more permanent apartment.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL2007 View Post
......So if someone can just tell what towns in the East Bay to stay away from that would be helpful.....

.....It seems the same people post and mostly it's all negitive.
Yeah ..... heh.

I always hear Walnut Creek is a pretty good place to live, on here and also from a friend who grew up there.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 15,223 times
[quote=Jasmine658;19437155] Don't let anyone discourage you. I moved here, and got started without a job. It can be hard to find a job long-distance, better to be here to interview. In health field, you should find something.

Thank you for the encouraging words.. this afternoon I do have a lead on an apartment in Alameda 1br for 800.00 private owner.. Also I have a response from a major medical center that will be setting up an interview for me on a job. While this is far from in the bag on either end..it is much more postive then what I read this morning. Again thank you.. does give me some hope that not all feel moving to the Bay area is a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland