Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 PM

310 posts, read 651,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Thanks! I've been following that thread, though I was under the impression you're planning to have a car? Safely walkable is one thing, but solely walkable is another, and I don't know what areas outside SF proper would have that.

Yes, I pretty much HAVE to have a car as part of conducting my business. Plus, I will really enjoy having the freedom to take of those day- or weekend trips to Tahoe or Napa, etc..but of course, that freedom comes at a cost. As for everyday, neighborhood stuff, I actually prefer to ditch the car and walk / transit.

As for "solely walkable", I think that depends more on your daily routine. In your original post, you mention that you and your husband are self-employed, so commuting is not an issue. That said, I just think it's a matter of lifestyle preference for you...if you prefer the constantly buzzing SF lifestyle over one in Oakland which (from what I've heard) is more casual and laidback, then go for it.

In a general sense, I don't really see how a walkable Oakland neighborhood differs from a walkable San Francisco neighborhood.

Quote:
It has been interesting, because I had the same impression common outside the area that Oakland was a wasteland of gangs and violence. Goes to show how necessary research is.
Indeed! Another reason why these forums are a fantastic resource...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
I live in North Beach without a car and it's super easy to get anything I need. And it generally feels very safe, outside of perhaps the seedy areas around the strip-clubs on Broadway.
I'd added North Beach to my list of neighborhoods because of your posts! Your walking commute to the BART station sounds fabulous.

Strip clubs... yeah. Meh. Seems avoidable enough.

Will definitely be looking at apartments there. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I have lots of east bay friends who are car-free with no problem. (It is equally annoying for people without cars in SF and Oak to get to Target)

If you must occasionally have a car you can sign up for city car share or zipcar. They are plentiful in SF, Oakland, and Berkeley.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Except for the hilly areas, which aren't too walkable, the flat land of Oakland is crime ridden. Oakland Crimespotting: Map and this is just for the last seven days!
Oh good grief. I suppose it makes sense. People too lazy to make a legitimate living find hills too much trouble as well!
Quote:
Otherwise, check out the Marina in SF San Francisco's Marina Green and the Presidio Park
For some strange reason nothing shows up in the Marina district when I limit rent to <$2,500...

Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Except for the hilly areas, which aren't too walkable, the flat land of Oakland is crime ridden. Oakland Crimespotting: Map and this is just for the last seven days!
This is inaccurate. There are safe neighborhoods that are not way up in the hills. Rockridge, Piedmont Ave, Temescal, Uptown, Grand Lake, and Lakeshore are not "way up in the hills. It is perfectly reasonable to walk around, although you may run into an occasional steep hill and a few moderate ones.

There are areas in the "flatlands" that are unsafe as well, but you do not have to live way up in the trees to find a safe neighborhood in Oakland.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I dunno man, the gangs here in Rockridge really make life hard. It's a constant struggle just to stay out of trouble here on the mean streets around College Ave.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I dunno man, the gangs here in Rockridge really make life hard. It's a constant struggle just to stay out of trouble here on the mean streets around College Ave.
I know, you've got the Pearberry gang, the Cole Coffe gang, the Cafe Zoe gang, the Hudson Bay Gang and the Bica Gang fighting over who's tops in latte art.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I'd added North Beach to my list of neighborhoods because of your posts! Your walking commute to the BART station sounds fabulous.

Strip clubs... yeah. Meh. Seems avoidable enough.

Will definitely be looking at apartments there. Thanks!
I live in North Beach too, and I chose it for walkability (I don't drive).
The strip joints aren't much of a problem...it's not even all that seedy. I walk through that block (it's barely 2 TINY blocks) by myself all the time...never had a problem at any time of day or night. And North Beach gets more sun then most neighborhoods in the city.

For shopping, there is a Safeway, Trader Joe's on the north end. Also cheap fresh produce in Chinatown. There is a small farmer's market (Columbus & Powell) on Sundays in the summer. Or you can walk to the big market at the Ferry Terminal on Saturdays...or the one at Fort Mason on Sunday mornings. Other retail therapy..I just walk to Union Square.

Plenty of restaurants, cafes, bars along Columbus & Grant. Plenty of "buzz" in those areas, but it's really peaceful and laid back outside of the main retail strips.

It's sort of best of both worlds...but it comes at a price in the form of rent. And parking is a really bad. Rent seldom includes a space, but you can rent a space for around $200 a month.

You might want to check out Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address when you are looking at apartments.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
For a while a couple of years ago there were pretty frequent incidents around the strip clubs and nightclubs in North Beach, several shootings and beatings and so on. I haven't heard about any lately on sfgate, I don't know if they aren't being reported or if the city has gotten more control of it. I would be wary about it. Otherwise NB is a bit too touristy for me but the side streets are really charming with a lot of old wooden apartment buildings. I imagine some of them aren't in great shape--there's a lot of landlords in SF who charge market rates for their places but don't keep them in good shape so they're crumbling and dingy inside...

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
For a while a couple of years ago there were pretty frequent incidents around the strip clubs and nightclubs in North Beach, several shootings and beatings and so on. I haven't heard about any lately on sfgate, I don't know if they aren't being reported or if the city has gotten more control of it. I would be wary about it. Otherwise NB is a bit too touristy for me but the side streets are really charming with a lot of old wooden apartment buildings. I imagine some of them aren't in great shape--there's a lot of landlords in SF who charge market rates for their places but don't keep them in good shape so they're crumbling and dingy inside...
Everyone has different comfort zones, regardless of where they come from or where they have been.

I am aware of the incidents, that sort of stuff happens can happen anywhere there is night clubs & strip clubs. But to me, the stripclubs scene/area in NB is tame in comparison to Soho in London, or even Times Square in NYC. NB's club scene is tame compare to the Mission & SOMA. I have never felt wary around Columbus & Broadway...nor have I been harassed. My point of view is as an average single female in my early 30's.

The worst thing that has happen to me in the neighborhood so far has been a sea gull pooped on me.

As for market rates, and crumbling/dingy apartments. That is true of any place including SF AND Oakland. There are indifferent landlords everywhere, it's up to the renter to weed through the bad ones. There are good landlords too, who do maintain their rental units. A lot of the buildings in NB has been renovated ... are family owned. Yes the market rate is higher in SF then in Oakland...that is how free market economy goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland