Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 AM

28 posts, read 79,182 times

Advertisements

I just got to San Francisco yesterday and moved into my temporary housing while I look for an apartment.

A couple of questions...

It seems like the two main places to get groceries are Safeway and Trader Joe's. Which one do you prefer? Which one is cheaper/has more of a selection?

Where would one go to get appliances and stuff for your apartment? Usually I would go to a Target or Wal-Mart but I don't think that stuff exists here. Is there a San Francisco equivalent?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM

310 posts, read 651,584 times
Safeway is a regional chain and a more traditional, full-service supermarket, where you can get pretty much everything you need in 1 stop. Not really a discount chain, but you can find some good deals there on some items (watch the sales)...at least that's how it was when I lived in Norcal years ago.

Trader Joe's is an interesting place. It's a national chain, but I would call it more of "niche grocer", as it probably will not everything you need for your weekly shop...and that's the main downside, you end usually end up having to go elsewhere to complete your list. Their selection of fresh produce is definitely lacking...so if you tend to buy lots of produce, maybe supplement your TJ's run with a stop by the local farmer's market. You'll find that Trader Joe's stores are quite a bit smaller than a Safeway, but IMO this is cool as it gives the TJ's a more neighborhood feel.

But...TJ's has a lot going for it. First of all, it typically has great prices on most items...I especially go there for some organics, coffee, cheese, wine, Belgian chocolate, cat food and a variety of other prepared foods like their veggie lasagna, chipolte hummus, and "Everything" crackers. The store carries almost ALL private brands (some variation of "Trader Joe's") so if you're overly loyal to certain national brands, you're either out of luck or you'll need to experiment with the TJ's approximation. Another good thing is that the staff is usually VERY friendly and helpful, and will educate you on their products and help you find stuff you might like...AND what's nice is if you try something and don't like it, just bring it back and they'll give you a refund no questions asked.

TJ's also has a lot of "fair trade" products, which means that they guarantee that the farmers / suppliers on the other end received a decent price for their products...as opposed to shopping at say, Wal Mart, which squeezes its suppliers to death to offer you those "everyday low prices". So if you're into the whole "social responsibility" thing, Trader Joe's gets a checkmark in that column.

So I think the whole casual yet friendly / helpful attitude is a big part of the allure of Trader Joe's. Another cool thing is that they tend to carry alot of unique products that you won't find anywhere else...some of these you may get hooked on (i.e. I can't go too long without their wasabi mayo, multigrain thins, chipotle hummus, or chocolate dunker cookies.)...sometimes it sucks though b/c they'll get you hooked on something and then out of the blue discontinue the product. Also, my cats seem to love their TJ's Tuna (a.k.a. "kittie crack")...and the stuff is dirt cheap, 49 cents / can!

Anyway, you get the idea...I would recommend checking it out on a Saturday midday when they have a lot of samples out, including free wine tasting (at least mine does). Speaking of free samples, there is always a sample station where they are trying to hook you on some new product or another...and it's right next to the coffee station...again, free, although the cups are tiny.

Which reminds me...I've gotta make a TJ's run, I'm out of Dunkers and their Bay Blend coffee...only $12.99 for 2 lbs...not bad.

Disclaimer: Despite the obvious flag waving, no I don't work for Trader Joe's (I'm in Marketing)...I just think it's a very cool place to shop.

I wish their stock was publicly traded, but it's owned by the same German family that owns Aldi. Verdammt!

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: thought of more stuff...

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
There is a FoodsCo in San Francisco near Duboce Triangle...forgot where exactly but Ive been there and its much cheaper than Safeway.

Also, there is no Wal Mart on the SF peninsula but there are quite a few across the Bay. It might be worth a monthly trip.

Target is opening downtown at the Metreon on Mission and Fifth but its still in developmental stages.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
There is a Best Buy in SOMA, and that would be the easiest place to go for your small appliances, if you don't have time to cross the bay or SF for Target or Walmart. (The closest ones are in Oakland/Emeryville or Daly City)

Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 PM

28 posts, read 79,182 times
doh, I forgot about Best Buy!

I ended up going to both Trader Joe's and Safeway as they are right next to each other in North Beach. You were right though, there are definitely some things I won't be able to find at Trader Joe's but for lots of things that I'll need to buy frequently, I found some great deals at TJ's. For stuff that I want to buy in large quantities I'll probably go to Safeway.

I didn't buy anything at Safeway because I didn't want to carry my bags of stuff into TJ's with me and I had enough trouble bringing my groceries on the bus/carrying them up the hill to my apartment. I'll get used to it I guess. I've never lived in a city before.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a Best Buy in SOMA, and that would be the easiest place to go for your small appliances, if you don't have time to cross the bay or SF for Target or Walmart. (The closest ones are in Oakland/Emeryville or Daly City)
Target is either in the process of opening or has already opened in downtown at the Metreon. Best Buy's are actually in the Mission (next to SOMA) and at Geary/Masonic. But yeah, other than that Target and Best Buy in Daly City are the next best options. The closest Walmarts I know of are in Oakland and Mountain View.

To the OP, there are a lot of other grocery stores throughout the City that you could choose from. I'm not personally huge on Whole Foods, but for some stuff it can be a decent option. Mollie Stones is great. Cala can be okay, but I find stuff to be overpriced there pretty often. Between Safeway and Trader Joes though, I would go to Trader Joes first b/c they are much cheaper and have a lot of great stuff, and then I would go to Safeway to complete your shopping and get all the rest of the stuff that Trader Joes doesn't have.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:22 PM

310 posts, read 651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randocalrissian View Post
I ended up going to both Trader Joe's and Safeway as they are right next to each other in North Beach. You were right though, there are definitely some things I won't be able to find at Trader Joe's but for lots of things that I'll need to buy frequently, I found some great deals at TJ's. For stuff that I want to buy in large quantities I'll probably go to Safeway.
Cool.

My comments on Trader Joe's were based mostly on my experiences with the stores here in the midwest...I was assuming it would be about the same at the TJ's in the Bay Area. If you noticed any differences with your TJ's experience than what I posted above, feel free to point them out.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randocalrissian View Post
doh, I forgot about Best Buy!

I didn't buy anything at Safeway because I didn't want to carry my bags of stuff into TJ's with me and I had enough trouble bringing my groceries on the bus/carrying them up the hill to my apartment. I'll get used to it I guess. I've never lived in a city before.
I live in North Beach. Trader Joe's for most things (never the fresh fruit & vegetables unless it's mid week and I needed something). Fresh fruit, vegetables at the Farmer's market on Powell/Columbus or Fort Mason on Sundays. Fruit, vegetables, meats in Chinatown (example, cherries are currently $1.29/lb there). Steaks & good quality beef at the Ferry Terminal Building. All other food & daily stuff at Safeway & Walgreens. Wine, Beer, imported goods at Cost Plus.

But then again, I don't buy stuff in large quantities...ever.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Trader Joe's is cheaper than pretty much anywhere for certain things but some of their stuff is either not that great or just as expensive as other places. I find their produce is kind of limp. Safeway is a bit overpriced for a lot of stuff but if you have a club card you can get some good deals and they have a much wider selection than TJ's. I would shop at TJ's to save money and Safeway for things you can't get at TJ's.

Yeah it is annoying that there is no Target or Wal-Mart types of places. I'm guessing you don't have a car so you aren't going to want to go to Daly City or Colma or Emeryville to go to Target because you'd need a car for that. Best Buy is really overpriced for most things and they don't have a lot of things like kitchen stuff.

Check out Walgreens for basic stuff, they are all over SF, they can have a surprising range of things but you never know what they will and won't have. Also check out Cole Hardware, there is one in downtown on 4th just south of Mission and another on Polk. They have a TON of stuff at fair prices, lots of kitchen stuff, towels, basically a lot of stuff you'd get at Target but in a much smaller space with a smaller selection, and the people who work there are super helpful, which is good because it can be hard to find stuff.

But definitely if you can, go to Target, it's really the best kind of place to go if you are moving into a new apartment.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:57 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Safeway is a regional chain
Safeway is national.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland