Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,688 times

Advertisements

Hi folks.

I am looking for someone who has lived in both San Francisco and New Orleans. NOT visited a bunch of times, but LIVED. I am trying to get a sense of what San Francisco is like, I only was there for 1 day, so I know what it LOOKS like, but I do not know what the people are like or what it would be like to live there. I plan to go for a week visit, but cant work that in for many months yet. So I am looking for someone to describe it, who can also compare its various characteristics to New Orleans. Bonus if you have lived in the inside of New Orleans as opposed to a suburb. And I am not interested in the view from someone who doesnt LIKE New Orleans, since that would mean we dont like the same things and your opinion wont help me.

I am afraid that since it (San Fran) is such a wealthy city, that it will be too fru-fru and polished. It might not be that way to someone from the East Coast, for example, but New Orleans is so nitty-gritty that it gives a different perspective. But it seems like such a neat place... what would someone who loves New Orleans, in all its casual, dive-like glory, think of living there?

And are any surrounding communities just as neat? Are there exciting places to live outside of the city proper? Places with lots of outdoor action (people in the streets) and fun, casual places to go for nightlife?

Thanks for any input and direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM

5 posts, read 11,407 times
I guess I will try to give my best interpretation. I have lived in New Orleans and lived in SF bay area (but was in SF alot). I lived in N.O from 2000-2004 and attended U.N.O. I lived in the bay area from 2004 until end of 2005.

First I am going to say these two cities are COMPLETLY different. In N.O you can get a hot sausage sandwich and sit on the lake or get a daquari from the daquari shop and people watch on bourbon street. If you dont want that tourist scene you chill in the East or go to Esplanade mall and shop. Whatever place to descide to be in their will have each etnicity in each area.

Now S.F. It is differentis the aspect of their way of lively is so unlike Louisiana. They are more money driven,health conscience, and fast paced. The city is very rich. LOTS of millionaires live their. Corporate companies are based here. Their is alot of night life in S.F and all the clubs are very diverse with all types of people visiting them. S.F has a big Asian community from what I can remember but lots of other cultures as well. The night life is not like N.O you cant walk around with alcohol. There are alot of Techno clubs if that is what you like,Pop Rock, their are upscale adult clubs(like Ricks). If you are looking for hip hop some DJ spin hip hop at these clubs. But Oakland is where you want to be if you want hip hop and a chill vibe like N.O.

All in all They have their good points. If you are moving to S.F to have a corporate job in Finance, Real Estate,computer industry,Business ownership or Management. This is definately the place to be . You will make about 3 times what you make in N.O if of course you are in one of these fields or something like that. The rents will be about 3 times the price as well. For a studio in S.F will be at least $2000 a month. And the housing market is crazy. For a some what decent house starts at $700,000!!! If you want to be in the Bay area I will definetly look into East Bay(oakland,san leandro)area and just commute.

I think you would like living there if you are ready for a new type of lifestyle and a new career . If you want some of N.O in S.F unfortunately you wont find it there. I loved N.O when I lived there and I Liked the Bay area when I lived there (wonderful weather in CA also)that was the best and the beach is ok to. I dont think I would live in N.O again only for the simple fact that I lived in Louisiana my whole life. Their so many other extrodianary cities in the U.S. I currently live in Dallas and I think Dallas is the best of both worlds you get that same home town southern feel as N.O and you are in a corporate epi center . Best jobs and pay available and you can buy a house very cheap some lower than Louisiana houses.

Let me know if you need more info. Just PM me

Good Luck!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland