Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Because SF is ****ing expensive just within about the last 6 months. OP didn't state a budget, and I just suggested the East Bay as an option. Take a chill pill.
It's an entirely appropriate alternative to SF that hardly anybody outside of the area would think of if they hadn't read it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM

17 posts, read 48,365 times
Quote:
Because SF is ****ing expensive just within about the last 6 months. OP didn't state a budget, and I just suggested the East Bay as an option. Take a chill pill.
Actually OP said: "I'm pretty hell-bent on living in a safe neighborhood, so I'm ready to pony up the $$ should that be necessary" No need to get rude, especially when you're incorrect.

People know that SF is expensive when they decide to move there (hence why they typically mention price). If they ask for advice on SF neighborhoods it makes no sense to suggest Oakland - unless of course you see Oakland as a cheaper alternative to SF (or a suburb of it), which Oakland is not.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
There is nothing wrong with suggesting Oakland, espeically if someone is coming from out of the area. There is no RIGHT and WRONG reason to move anywhere and if the only reason some folks end up in Oakland is because it's cheaper than SF that's ok. When I think about it, if I was asking where to live in any major metropolitian city I'd appreciate the options too.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is nothing wrong with suggesting Oakland, espeically if someone is coming from out of the area. There is no RIGHT and WRONG reason to move anywhere and if the only reason some folks end up in Oakland is because it's cheaper than SF that's ok. When I think about it, if I was asking where to live in any major metropolitian city I'd appreciate the options too.
I'm sure many folks in pockets of SF that have seen major change in the last couple of decades would disagree with you, and I know many people around Oakland disagree with you on that. I have been a part of a number of group discussions where we discussed a growing number of people moving to Oakland within the last few years looking for a cheaper way to live in SF, rather than because of an actual interest in Oakland. Many Oakland neighborhoods have seen rapid spikes in rent (thanks in part to people from the city moving over here to pay less) and changes in businesses and atmosphere with all the new tourists.

These things aren't inherently bad for some people, and they don't matter at all to people who are new to this city, but for people who have lived here and loved it before these types of changes come as a shock. Many of us feel that living in Oakland is far superior to living in the city, and a major reason for that is all the tourism and migration SF gets. Oakland had been a chill place to live for a long time, partly thanks to the people that move here coming for more organic reasons than "It's cheaper than SF! Don't worry, there are a few 'non-ghetto' parts to make you feel right at home!"

Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeptive View Post
I'm thinking about moving to San Francisco, and I'm wondering where are the best neighborhoods for me to live in. As in what are the nicest areas, but...

I'm pretty hell-bent on living in a safe neighborhood, so I'm ready to pony up the $$ should that be necessary, but of course I'm cheap!

I'm also all about diversity, and I don't want to have to worry about being black (though I hear this isn't a problem in SF).

I also like having good views, and a bit of privacy.

I'll be relying on Public Transportation to get around, at least for a while.

Where do you think is a good fit?

I'm very quiet, fairly laid back, and care more about safety and finding friends that partying, etc.
Hmmmm. Like people said, being black won't matter anywhere, and most areas are safe. Public transit is everywhere, though the best transit areas are often busy. Good views and quiet might be a little more unique.

It's not (remotely) cheap, but you want to pay for it, I think Pacific Heights would suit you. It's very safe, there are lots of good views and it's reaaaaally quiet if you're not near Fillmore. Like "is this neighborhood even inhabited?" quiet most of the time.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
for people who have lived here and loved it before these types of changes come as a shock.
We have a lot of people down here wishing away everything "tech" that has transformed the valley, but all the kvetching in the world won't bring back the prunes and horse carriages. Progress (read: change) happens.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We have a lot of people down here wishing away everything "tech" that has transformed the valley, but all the kvetching in the world won't bring back the prunes and horse carriages. Progress (read: change) happens.
Hm, somehow I doubt people down there are wishing for horse and carriage to make a come back - I guess an exaggerated point is better than no point at all huh? FYI: all change isn't progress.

The OP didn't ask for a cheap safe neighborhood in the bay area, he asked for safe neighborhoods in SF (said he's willing to pay for it). I just don't get why people keep suggesting Oakland, Oakland and SF are not the same city. OP (like many others I've seen on CD) probably chose SF for a reason.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
OP (like many others I've seen on CD) probably chose SF for a reason.
So do a gazillion other people, yet there is way more demand for spaces than spaces to be had, ergo, reasonable alternatives are offered.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,323 times
Being black isn't going to matter. (BTW, just as an aside, I think every sane person is allergic to crime. ) Just choose the neighborhoods that you can afford and that you feel safe in. We're all over the city.

Well, now I'm in Berkeley, but I lived in Hayes Valley and the Outer Richmond. Both locations were pretty good. I really miss my Hayes Valley neighborhood. I had a love hate for living so far out in the Richmond. I moved there after coming back from living abroad, and it was a bit too slow and the pace of mass transit was also slow, but it is what it is.

I also worked in the Financial District, China Basin, Pacific Heights, Union Square, Nob Hill, and went to school in the Tenderloin (yikes). (Lots of temping and bartending when I was in law school, so yeah.)

It's really not like NYC or other cities with profiling (at least, if you're a woman), and the neighborhoods are similar in that way too. If you can afford it, you're in.

Quote:

Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Why not Jack London Square in Oakland? It's diverse, but has one of the highest median incomes in Oakland OR San Francisco, great views of the bay and SF city lights, and more reasonable price tags. Heck, even on a moderate income it would be completely plausible to buy there.
I would personally skip Jack London:
Good: shiny new rentals
Bad: ert disconnected from downtown Oakland, not a 7-day a week neighborhood, no amenities besides restaurants.

There are plenty of better neighborhoods to live in with better transit access, more lively atmosphere and better prices. IMO, Jack London is way overprices considering you get a dark walk to BART, freeway noise and train noise. But if you want a loft, it is the best choice. Crappy choice for a rental, a plausible choice if you want to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland