Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
Also, my wife is disabled and cannot walk very long distances which might make it tough in the city.
Just about all houses, such as in the Richmond or Sunset are 2 story and if climbing stairs is a problem, you might want to look elsewhere outside SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
also most places that have yards and aren't exorbitantly expensive will be less walkable and more suburban or at least have worse public transit.

I'd definitely look at Alameda and Albany for fairly dense towns with good schools but you will probably still want a car. Even if you lived in SF your disabled wife would find it hard to get around without being driven around.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I really hate traffic so I would rather take public transit if possible.
I don't mean to nitpick, but if it's traffic that you hate, public transit won't do much for you in SF. It's mostly busses. They just sit there in the traffic like everything else. (Worse, actually, since they stop all the time, too!)

BART does avoid traffic, but that is only useful for leaving the city, if you live here.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 PM

195 posts, read 669,071 times
Thanks for all the responses!! I will look at Alameda and several other areas around SF but probably stay out of the city limits and just go there to eat, see, and drink.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM

140 posts, read 436,578 times
You won't get good school placements in SF & private schools, which really are not that good - toured most, are about $60K per year for 2 kids. All our friends have bailed on SF for schools, moving to Burlingame primarily. In San Francisco, you need to get placement requests in a year prior to Kindergarten to get your kids in the good schools. Our kids got placed twice at schools ranked API "1" & "2", 1 being the worst, 10 the best. They laughed when they saw my 7 choices for placement - LAUGHED, saying, "Everyone wants those schools".

Albany and Alameda Island in East Bay, Burlingame and San Mateo (west of El Camino) down on Peninsula, and Mill Valley & Corte Madera in Marin County, are where we have friends now with the yards and good schools. All relocated out of San Francisco.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
could you live outside the city? Pacifica, just 20 minutes south, but a small community on the coast, has some decent schools-and virtually NO traffic into the city.....

Or, could you live in say,mill valley and commute in? Although, 2800 for 3 bdrms is tough-2 bedrooms would be possible. And schools are excellent in MV. For Pacifica, a small 3 bedroom house in that price range might happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland