Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times

Advertisements

As a renter, I wouldn't worry too much about liquifaction. Maybe an earthquake will hit tomorrow, maybe not for 10 more years. The odds of us getting hit on any given day are pretty low, the odds of it happening while you're at home and not out even lower, etc etc. A homeowner has different financial concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM

18 posts, read 109,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
As a renter, I wouldn't worry too much about liquifaction. Maybe an earthquake will hit tomorrow, maybe not for 10 more years. The odds of us getting hit on any given day are pretty low, the odds of it happening while you're at home and not out even lower, etc etc. A homeowner has different financial concerns.
Thanks. If I every decide to buy property I'll make sure to buy outside of a liquefaction zone. What worries me more is making my apartments unsafe to live in/rupture a gas line and start a fire. Also, not being a CA native means I'm not used to quakes, and I'm not sure how much worse the shaking is in a liquefaction area.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM

57 posts, read 231,058 times
earthquakes are a real concern, but it wouldnt keep me from living in those "red" zones. We ended up in the southbay and having a quick escape route to the east in case of emergency was a bonus.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
There is just no there there in San Jose, it's just really boring endless suburbia.
No, it's not. If you're only driving around the Legolands, then that would apply, but go downtown, among many other places, and it's a totally different story.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
San Mateo has a pretty nice, walkable, downtown scene as well. If I were working in San Mateo, I'd live either in San Mateo or SF -- definitely not San Jose.
Have you not encountered places like Willow Glen, Rosegarden, or Naglee Park, to name a few? We have our swanky San Mateo-esque areas, too. Caltrain goes betwwen the two cities as well.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM

46 posts, read 226,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

What I meant is that, from what I've read, a Hayward fault quake would be at max somewhere around 7 or less on the scale, while the San Andreas could create one up to more like 8 or so. But certainly if a 6.8 quake hit right under downtown Berkeley it would cause a lot more damage than a 7.5 quake in the remote hills outside San Jose.

No, I think what they've been saying is that there is a 31% chance of a 6.7 or greater earthquake hitting the Hayward fault in the next 30 years and a 21% chance of a 6.7 or greater earthquake hitting the San Andreas fault. An earthquake along the San Andreas fault is no more likely to reach M8.0 than an earthquake along the Hayward fault.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Hayward Fault Fact Sheet

Quote:
The Hayward Fault is thought capable of generating a magnitude 7.5 quake.
That says 7.5 though I dunno if that is the max or not. The 1906 quake on the San Andreas is thought to be a 7.8.

The good news (sort of) is that our California faults have a somewhat low ceiling of potential quake power, something like 8.0 or so, whereas faults in places around Alaska and Japan can go up to 9 or something. Still, a 7.8 would be hugely destructive. Also the soil here is younger and less compacted than out east, so quake energy doesn't travel as far. That's why a quake in San Jose can be felt in Santa Rosa, but not much further out, but a quake in Virginia can be felt up into NYC.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Have you not encountered places like Willow Glen, Rosegarden, or Naglee Park, to name a few? We have our swanky San Mateo-esque areas, too. Caltrain goes betwwen the two cities as well.
Ok, but OP works in San Mateo. I never said San Jose didn't have anything like that

Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM

18 posts, read 109,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
earthquakes are a real concern, but it wouldnt keep me from living in those "red" zones. We ended up in the southbay and having a quick escape route to the east in case of emergency was a bonus.
Just saying...does that mean if I'm caught in a bad quake in SF it'll be hard to get off the peninsula? Would a quake cause a need for evecuation? Sorry I'm kinda paranoid.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingwest236 View Post
Just saying...does that mean if I'm caught in a bad quake in SF it'll be hard to get off the peninsula? Would a quake cause a need for evecuation? Sorry I'm kinda paranoid.
If there's a really big one, the bridges will probably go out and everyone will have to evacuate via San Jose (ie 101 and 280).

But check out the odds above, and remember those are over the next 30 years Compare that to the GUARANTEE that the southeast will have a half dozen hurricanes make landfall every single year, the ice storms and blizzards in the northeast that take power out every winter, etc etc etc. Bad stuff happens everywhere all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland