Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,045,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post

Caltrain needs to merge with BART to create a unified ticketing system. Also, eliminate some stops because Caltrain in its current state is still pretty bad.
Please, no merge. CalTrain is the best transit option in the area (well, after SFMTA).

As for unified ticketing, I just use my clipper card. Everywhere. CalTrain, VTA, MTA, BART, ferries, AC Transit, ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Please, no merge. CalTrain is the best transit option in the area (well, after SFMTA).
Not sure I agree with you on this one. Yes, it is good during commute hours with the baby bullet and clean trains. After hours, they only run once per hour and only do local trains. That is not very convenient if you're in the city and need to go down to the valley.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:17 PM

213 posts, read 252,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post

As for unified ticketing, I just use my clipper card. Everywhere. CalTrain, VTA, MTA, BART, ferries, AC Transit, ...
SFMTA... good... cannot compute...

SFMTA (Muni)'s average speeds are 8MPH. It's slower than walking in most cases. That's inexcusable for a city with the density of San Francisco. A BART ride from Concord to Montgomery takes the same time as a Muni ride from the Richmond to Market St.

CalTrain still has single track on some of its corridor and stops way too often to be a true commuter line (no, baby bullets don't count when you run trains only during rush hours). Merging with BART will give Caltrain a huge political boost and more money (yes, track gauges are different but many systems around the world has different guage).

Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM

213 posts, read 252,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

The VTA is to blame for the difficulty of commuting to SV job centers. Their service is outdated and slow.
The county of Santa Clara is to blame. VTA's woes are a direct result of the county pumping money into criss crossing expressways rather than buying into the BART system.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,466,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It doesn't drop because the projected ridership is supposed to increase substantially over the next 20 years. However, having parallel lines helps mitigate the impact of this sharp increase.
It doesn't drop and this is because of induced demand. Provide more capacity, people take more trips because the marginal cost has fallen. That's an important distinction from the congestion argument, as the new lines do have the positive outcome of giving more people better options to get around. But, it does not reduce congestion in the long term.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
The county of Santa Clara is to blame. VTA's woes are a direct result of the county pumping money into criss crossing expressways rather than buying into the BART system.
There are a lot of things to blame. Not a fan of the blame game. We could blame Santa Clara County, SJ, all the voters, the VTA (which is influenced by the cities and county), developers of sprawled-out campuses poorly set up for effective public transit, companies that want those kinds of campuses...

Old 06-02-2015, 02:00 AM

6 posts, read 9,671 times
I have trouble fathoming this love for Caltrain. I understand Caltrain is probably doing the best they can with their limited infrastructure. But it is really quite limited. It doesn't go to downtown SF, its service is very infrequent, very slow except for the handful of baby bullet trains during weekday commute hours only, the trains are noisy, and the seats lack adequate legroom.

BART is great. Definitely the most functional form of transit in the bay area. Fast, reliable, comfortable, goes directly through downtown SF & Oakland. Some sections of track are noisy and it gets crowded during peak commute hours, but I hardly care because the train ride is so quick. Service is very frequent during commute hours, and decently frequent in the middle of the day. Late night and Sunday service is way too infrequent (20 minute headways), though that's still far more frequent than Caltrain at those same times (1-2 hour headways).

At least both BART and Caltrain allow bicycles, which is hugely useful in the bay area.

SFMTA is a conundrum. Practically every corner of the city has at least a bus stop, but due to lack of right-of-way infrastructure the only fast service is in the tunnel under Market St & twin peaks. Even there delays are common. I've given up waiting for a train after paying my Muni fare on many occasions. And once on a train it's a coin toss whether or not there will be an inexplicable delay while you sit going nowhere.

The F line historic street cars are cool, even if the line is typical Muni slow.

VTA light rail is shockingly slow. I do not understand how or why.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchData View Post
I have trouble fathoming this love for Caltrain. I understand Caltrain is probably doing the best they can with their limited infrastructure. But it is really quite limited. It doesn't go to downtown SF, its service is very infrequent, very slow except for the handful of baby bullet trains during weekday commute hours only, the trains are noisy, and the seats lack adequate legroom.

BART is great. Definitely the most functional form of transit in the bay area. Fast, reliable, comfortable, goes directly through downtown SF & Oakland. Some sections of track are noisy and it gets crowded during peak commute hours, but I hardly care because the train ride is so quick. Service is very frequent during commute hours, and decently frequent in the middle of the day. Late night and Sunday service is way too infrequent (20 minute headways), though that's still far more frequent than Caltrain at those same times (1-2 hour headways).

At least both BART and Caltrain allow bicycles, which is hugely useful in the bay area.

SFMTA is a conundrum. Practically every corner of the city has at least a bus stop, but due to lack of right-of-way infrastructure the only fast service is in the tunnel under Market St & twin peaks. Even there delays are common. I've given up waiting for a train after paying my Muni fare on many occasions. And once on a train it's a coin toss whether or not there will be an inexplicable delay while you sit going nowhere.

The F line historic street cars are cool, even if the line is typical Muni slow.

The point isn't so much that Caltrain is perfect, since its far from perfect. It could use more funding, it needs to be grade-separated, it should have passing tracks all along its route, it should run more trains in the off hours, it should be electrified (happening soon), it should be extended to the new transbay terminal (happening eventually).

The point is rather that commuter rail is better for long distance travel. A Caltrain-like system is cheaper and better for long distances than BART is. And will always outperform BART over long distances, mainly because of its ability to run expires trains at higher speeds (in the future potentially much higher speeds with high speed rail infrastructure improvements) and because of its passing tracks.

A Caltrain system can do a lot more with a lot less than BART. This is where the efficiency comment comes from. If you spent the crazy amounts of money on a Caltrain line that we do on a BART line/extension, you'd have a ridiculously-good commuter rail system, probably extending to Sacramento and other parts of the central valley (like the extensive lines of northeastern metros).

Even the dreaded Caltrain local runs at about the same average speed as BART over similar distances. BART's main advantages are frequency and grade-separated tracks (both of which cold be implemented for Caltrain, if they had more money).
The main limitation with Caltrain is that it has no dedicated funding. This is why I support merging with BART. This would give it more money and allow it to improve its infrastructure and the number of trains it runs.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM

372 posts, read 514,246 times
Quote:
Basically everything you mentioned is being resolved. Caltrain will be extended to downtown. Service will be more frequent and faster with electrification, and new electric trains will be put in service as part of that. Caltrain is cleaner and better maintained than BART. And Caltrain is doing this despite little support by the MTA, which funnels most money into costly BART extensions.

It is the HSR funds that are fueling Caltrain improvements, and having HSR will help ensure Caltrain is maintained properly. You can't just let a chunk of rail break off on a high speed rail system like what happened to BART last month during the morning commute.

BART is just not efficiently run. It gets two times as much tax revenue per rider than Caltrain, yet has no savings and $8 billion in deferred maintenance. Caltrain balanced its budget with only $20 mil in tax revenue vs $300 mil for BART. Merging with BART will not help Caltrain's finances.

Last edited by calicoastal; 06-02-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
To answer the implied question: VTA LRT is a local trolley service built at a county scale, and that is why it is slow. It is (mostly) not grade-separated, it does not have intersection preemption, the downtown SJ transit mall has a 15 mph speed limit, and its route weaves around. Such as it is, it was never going to be fast. But that was the style of the 80s and 90s, freeway median routing in to the suburbs, street level in the downtown core area (not unlike BART trying to be both an urban and regional rail service).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland