Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I would really appreciate some advice.

Person driving to Berkeley from Sacramento on a daily basis here. We're looking for apartment complexes to move to around the end of June... I've read that it's not a good idea to look too early, but I want to get an idea of what's available. We're just a couple in our early 20's with a small dog under 25lbs with a max rent (w/o pet rent) of $1500.

Which one would be better for us to live in? We're simple cave people, but when we venture into the sun it's nice to be able to comfortably walk around without being worried of getting into trouble.

I'm also open to suggestions of any other areas. We really want a suburban-ish area with a local downtown, if that makes sense.

Thanks all

Last edited by felinius; 04-13-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,271 times
Walnut Creek fits your description better.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Walnut Creek fits your description better.
Would you prefer it to San Rafael?

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. Just looking for opinions on which city is better. We were planning on moving towards the downtown of either city.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,271 times
Walnut Creek is less isolated and has a more vibrant downtown. It is also extremely safe and is a good place for families. The surrounding cities are all the same. Its just one of the better sections of the bay area in general.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Walnut Creek is less isolated and has a more vibrant downtown. It is also extremely safe and is a good place for families. The surrounding cities are all the same. Its just one of the better sections of the bay area in general.
As opposed to San Rafael...? I want what you're smoking.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 AM

297 posts, read 766,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Hi all! I would really appreciate some advice.

Person driving to Berkeley from Sacramento on a daily basis here. We're looking for apartment complexes to move to around the end of June... I've read that it's not a good idea to look too early, but I want to get an idea of what's available. We're just a couple in our early 20's with a small dog under 25lbs with a max rent (w/o pet rent) of $1500.

Which one would be better for us to live in? We're simple cave people, but when we venture into the sun it's nice to be able to comfortably walk around without being worried of getting into trouble.

I'm also open to suggestions of any other areas. We really want a suburban-ish area with a local downtown, if that makes sense.

Thanks all
Both towns are very nice, you can't really go wrong with either if looking for a nice, quiet suburb with a downtown.

Some differences to help you decide:
SR is cooler in the summer, probably mostly 70s-80's, WC more like 80's-90's. I think San Rafael gets more rain in the winter.
WC will have much better shopping, Marin avoids development at all costs (re: George Lucas can't even expand, and is leaving the county), this means more open spaces/nature in Marin, but its less convenient. WC has shopping, but some of it is souless big box store outdoor malls, but the downtown area is nice, as is San Rafael's.
If working in Berkeley, from WC you can possibly take Bart or you'll have to drive thru the tunnel, and you'll be with the majority of commuters, so you'll have a lot traffic (but its not far). From San Rafael, you'll have to drive and cross a bridge with a toll, but you shouldn't have much traffic until hwy 80.
SR is a little more "funky", in Marin there is a weird mix of yuppie soccer moms, old hippies and avid outdoors men/women, WC has more probably a little more racially diverse, but not by much, and is more upper middle class traditional family types of people. Both towns average age i would guess would be towards 30s/40s.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
As opposed to San Rafael...? I want what you're smoking.

Right? San Rafael is in the heart of marin suburbia with a stunning setting. Plus it is closer to SF. Considering it is in Marin I wonder if it is more expensive compared to Walnut Creek tho? I'd be willing to bet walnut creek is a little more sunny.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM

86 posts, read 247,171 times
If you are commuting to Berkeley you could live in the downtown San Rafael area and walk to the transit center where you can get a Golden Gate Transit bus to the El Cerrito del Norte BART station, then BART to Berkeley.

Downtown San Rafael has a great farmers' market and the Smith Rafael Film Center, with lots of interesting events. Weather generally mild, with less rain in the winter than other areas of Marin (Ross Valley) and less fog in summer than southern Marin.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I personally would pick Walnut Creek. It is a lot closer to most of the Bay Area than San Rafael. It is a pleasant place.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Marin County in general is a hard commute to anywhere else in the Bay. No BART, two congested bridges to get anywhere else... I'd choose Walnut Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland