Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 12,581 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I read that someone was asking about Comcast. I have some bad news for Apple users whose provider is Comcast.

I've been overseas for two months now and I've been checking my email and managing my account on an iPad 2. Until a week or two ago, that is. Comcast has recently added a requirement of JAVA to sign in to their website. Steve Jobs refused to have anything to do with JAVA, a Comcast tech has told me, so we Apple users are now out of luck so far as Comcast is concerned. We can't get into our accounts. We can't access email through their website (yes, you can get your email other ways, but that's beside the point) We can't even participate in their forum, because all of these things require a login, and we can't see the moving letters they want you to copy for security without JAVA.

Go ahead, try to login using an iPad or iPhone (I haven't tried any other Apple products). Then, when you can't, join me in letting Comcast know you're not happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,514 times
Get a PC.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
They are also blocking a number of "older" hubs, switches, etc. "Older," of course, to them, seems to mean anything more than about 3 years old.

COMCAST sucks!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
At the same time, express your displeasure at Apple.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
At the same time, express your displeasure at Apple.
...by getting an orange.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,737 times
Is this an issue with the free email account, ...@comcast.net? I just tried both the website (comcast.net) and the app on my iPhone and I have no issues, I can see my email on either.

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the technology forum or something like that, Comcast is not a Bay Area exclusive company.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Comcast is not a Bay Area exclusive company.
No, they soak people for cash wherever they please.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM

28 posts, read 122,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksJ View Post
Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I read that someone was asking about Comcast. I have some bad news for Apple users whose provider is Comcast.

I've been overseas for two months now and I've been checking my email and managing my account on an iPad 2. Until a week or two ago, that is. Comcast has recently added a requirement of JAVA to sign in to their website. Steve Jobs refused to have anything to do with JAVA, a Comcast tech has told me, so we Apple users are now out of luck so far as Comcast is concerned. We can't get into our accounts. We can't access email through their website (yes, you can get your email other ways, but that's beside the point) We can't even participate in their forum, because all of these things require a login, and we can't see the moving letters they want you to copy for security without JAVA.

Go ahead, try to login using an iPad or iPhone (I haven't tried any other Apple products). Then, when you can't, join me in letting Comcast know you're not happy.
This is just one more example of an untrained Comcast tech who doesn't know how to resolve an issue so he's making up something to blame another company. There's not a word of truth is what he told you.

You have two ways of accessing your Comcast account on your iPad, either on the web via Safari or through the XFinity Connect App from the App Store.
Naturally, their tech people have no information about any apps. All they really know is to instruct you to recycle your modem. If that doesn't work, they will send someone to your house in a few days to try to figure out a problem. That's it.

For web problems on the iPad, try this --

1. Go to Settings, tap Safari.
2. look to the right and down. Find "Javascript" (see you do have Java!) It should be turned ON.
3. On the right screen you will see Clear History. Tap it and tap Clear again when the warning pops up.
4. Do the same for Clear Cookies and Data.
5. Be sure you are set to accept cookies (under privacy).
6. Reboot the iPad. Unfortunately, clearing cookies and data will cause you some inconvenience by removing the login information from sites you visit and it will have to be re-entered. Hopefully, you have iCloud or some other backup.

The tech you talked to probably conflated stories about Adobe Flash, the Flashback Malware and the security hole in Java that allowed it (ONLY on Mac computers, not mobile devices!) Apple updated Safari (on the Mac) to have Java disabled by default, but you can turn it on any time. I have it disabled and that does not cause me trouble logging into websites. Flash has not been removed from Apple mobile devices. It has never existed on any Apple mobile device

I'm surprised he didn't offer to sell you Comcast's new Paid-for tech support, which will undoubtedly be worth as much as their regular tech support.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,089 times
Javascript and Java have nothing in common but four letters. iPads do not run Java.

However, Safari on Macs does run Java, so it's not an Apple anti-Java stance. It just takes too much processor to be a good idea on a portable device. Same with Flash.

This has nothing to do with Apple. It's bad web design for any company to have Java or Flash on pages for anything other than decoration. (It's bad then, too, actually.)

Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM

28 posts, read 122,694 times
One more thing: You don't have to go to Comcast's site to read and send email. Just add the account to the Mail program. You only have to know your email address and password. The iPad will do everything automatically. Then your mail can be downloaded automatically or manually however you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland