Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

I am visiting later this month to search for an apartment in the area. My job will be in San Rafael but as a recent college graduate, I thought that I could find a better lifestyle in Berkeley... or a cheaper one in Oakland. I figure with somewhat of a reverse commute, that would only put me out 30-40 mins.

I am looking for a studio with bare necessities (bathroom, kitchenette, I'm okay with a small place) or am considering a dorm-like lifestyle with a roommate, but this would not be optimum.
Preferably $600-$800 but I realize $1000 may be more realistic.

I have been fine searching and getting prices from these places (craig's list, ect.). What I need from you is a little bit more insight on active, safe, walk-able neighborhoods. I play tennis, frequent the gym, play drums (electronic -not as loud), and I think I would like the "city" feel.

Anything is negotiable, so if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any advice for actually driving around to these places, ie: are there lots of apartment complexes with offices for information or should I spend time setting up appointments?

Thanks,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM

376 posts, read 654,084 times
Yes, Oakland/Berkeley are cheaper, but you will have to cross the Richmond Bridge everyday. Assuming you work 5 days/wkm that is an extra $100 a month. Thrown in gas and you are at least 175-200 more a month. I'm not sure if that's enough a difference to live in San Rafael though.
For Oakland neighborhoods, I'll leave that to others, I'm sure Rockridge and Temescal will pop up, and others I'm not aware of.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,835 times
That is a fair point. It is something to consider, but how livable is San Rafael? At first I was looking to move there or Richmond, but was strayed away after speaking with some locals concerning my age group.

I loved college. Hanging out and playing volleyball -whatnot. $200-$300 is not that bad of a price to live in an area that seems like it would be more enjoyable. I would like to hear more about some San Rafael neighborhoods though. Thank you for your post.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
San Rafael is more suburban than Oakland/Berkeley but it's supposed to be pretty affordable by Marin standards and your commute would be really easy.

If you do want to live somewhere younger and more urban, Berkeley is best for roommate shares, but it can be expensive if you want your own apartment. Oakland doesn't have many roommate shares but for getting your own apartment it's pretty affordable. I'd look at the Temescal, Piedmont Ave area, and the Grand Lake area. Rockridge is really cool but there aren't many apartments there so prices tend to be higher than the other areas I just listed. Just go on craiglist and see what you can find at your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland