Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
SF has too many homeless people. I don't understand why the city doesn't just direct the cops to continually make their lives so difficult that they're forced to leave. This is what Giuliani did in Manhattan.

These people may be relatively harmless, but they're an eyesore and they add to the filth and degradation of urban environments. Is there no desire within long time residents to rid SF of these people?
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,813,664 times
Quote:
SF has too many homeless people. I don't understand why the city doesn't just direct the cops to continually make their lives so difficult that they're forced to leave. This is what Giuliani did in Manhattan.

These people may be relatively harmless, but they're an eyesore and they add to the filth and degradation of urban environments. Is there no desire within long time residents to rid SF of these people?
Your solutions seem to be, drove them like rats from the city, or maybe euthanize them as one may do with a sick dog or cat.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, an awful lot of the homeless are mentally ill. Many are veterans who developed DTSD, and are unable to cope with modern stateside life, with flashbacks, and panic attacks. Unable to hold, jobs, and live a normal life.

At one time California had mental hospitals and clinics to help these people, and it was not the problem it is today. The clinics provided medications to help them remain in a more normal life. But a number of year ago, it was not dignified for these people to be in these facilities and they decided they no longer wanted to put out the money to take care of these people and closed the hospitals and the clinics. These people were just pushed out onto the streets. They have no place to go, but to try to survive on the streets.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,415,761 times
All of those mentally ill people in the good old days would be institutionalized getting the help that they need. This is why you typically didn't see many homeless people on the streets back then.

Then the ACLU came along and helped put an end to the practice of holding schizos against their will. I guess the law decided that allowing them to be a danger to themselves and others while starving and freezing to death on the streets was more humane.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,053,909 times
Quote:

Why do you still live there?

SF is not Manhattan and never will be no matter how much you wish it was.

Stop romanticizing Giuliani. NYC doesn't want him as Mayor again. They couldn't wait for his term to be over for a REASON.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,497,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Stop romanticizing Giuliani. NYC doesn't want him as Mayor again. They couldn't wait for his term to be over for a REASON.
AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 AM

16 posts, read 24,265 times
Too many bleeding heart liberals that defend them. Then they sit in their million dollar houses from on high looking down on the peons. Maybe it gives them a feeling of superiority there in the city? Only when a homeless person actually harms them or someone they love will they cry foul. SF seems to have bigger problems than the homeless. Like residents being murdered by illegal aliens.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,668,384 times
Quote:

Because we prefer the homeless bums over the transplants from New York.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Then the ACLU came along and helped put an end to the practice of holding schizos against their will. I guess the law decided that allowing them to be a danger to themselves and others while starving and freezing to death on the streets was more humane.
At least that was Reagan's convenient excuse for getting rid of the state hospitals.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM

14,736 posts, read 14,725,713 times
A lot of the people we view as homeless aren't; there's homeless and there's street people. Many street people have gotten housing through the city or whatever but hang out on the street all day panhandling, doing drugs, etc.
I doubt San Francisco will ever solve its homeless problem; besides the politics behind it, the weather and reputation of the city will always make it a destination for people around the country to come and live on the streets, especially the free-spirit young people who do it by choice.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 AM

218 posts, read 484,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

That's because NYC also has a sizable population of weak, wimpy liberals just like SF.

The strong ones like me recognize and appreciate strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland