Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
About the bookstores, I think the current tech boom is the reason why the bookstores are disappearing. They made it in the late 90's/early 00's because there wasn't a competitive technology/format to replace books. With the growth in Amazon and now e-books, well, there you have it.
That's a factor but it's not the only one. The main thing is their rent is going up 300%. Amazon and other online booksellers have been huge for the last 12 years and these stores have stuck it out until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I use navigation apps on my Android, they save me time, especially when in an unfamiliar area.
I have been using the Yelp Mobile application - awesome for finding a well rated place to eat in an unfamiliar area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Indeed: I work on navigation apps. Beyond the Apple maps fiasco, most people find them incredibly useful.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM

25 posts, read 43,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
People make insane money off worthless online games/email systems and don't pay nearly enough taxes.. (tax them 99%). The social network idiocy...the worthless garbage of "android apps", social networks, etc. Sorry, I'm a software engineer (C/C++/Java) and I just do not get WHY do people buy and use smart phones...--??? (akin to a monkey playing with a shiny toy) Why do people use facebook? (I understand that 7-year olds might be excited about this, but past age 10?) I think all computers should be gathered together and nuked, this is my honest opinion. It'll be healthier for every individual and human society in general. mod cutThe world had turned to evil, wasteful ways... "facebook"...what's next? Imagine the future wold of corporate drones and technocracy controlling the over-populated Earth...I'm sure that somehow Mother Nature will strike it all down.... mod cut
The "Bubble" is not just the Bay area boom... it is the entire modern lifestyle and the general direction US and many other nations are heading in. Technology-dependent, unnatural, false, soulless, hectic, greedy life bubble filled with...emptiness. It WILL burst.
mod cut I do agree with most of what you said. Especially the Twitters and Facebooks of the world, anyone who took the Facebook IPO seriously is a total stooge, what are you even investing in? A trend for idiots whos entire revenue consists of cheap ads? I'm still kicking myself for not taking a short position on FB, basically free money. Apple is another crap trend I agree but at LEAST they are actually producing a tangible asset that people are willing to spend massive amounts of money on for reasons unbeknownst to me. All of these bubbles will pop but the tech companies that actually produce something and have actual value won't be hit as hard.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-06-2012 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been modified as off topic

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
This is incredibly sad to me. To think how much of time I used to spend flipping through the pages of some really cool art books, cookbooks, etc in places like Green Apple or similar...meeting potential lovers on the other side of the aisles! Movie theatres like the Lumiere closing now--extra horrible...

So much culture being lost---sniff, sniff. It's just one of those things that we can't seem to hold onto anymore. Hard to believe these things are actually happening. Technology (although wonderful in so many ways), is the root cause of the demise of this aspect of our lives (or at least mine). But here I am typing my ideas on it! Weird.
I think Green Apple may still be in business.

Welcome To Green Apple Books | Green Apple Books

The two Kevins and Pete have found a unique formula.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
It's already bursting. Have you seen share prices for Zynga, GLU Mobile lately? People are getting eaten alive in the market. Most of my money is either in metals (Gold, Silver), real estate, a small percentage of old bonds, and liquid. I have pretty much exited the market for the time being (sold all of my Apple shares after the iPhone 5 launch).

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 13,021 times
I have lived in SF since 1995 and watched the first dot com people come and go, rents go crazy and then crash, mass exodus of the "gold rush" as 10% of the city fled (all 22 year olds straight out of college).

This one will be different because alot of horrible people have now bought homes here.. and plan to raise their warped spoiled children here (by nanny of course!). So they might not leave.

But I do truly and fully believe that all of these start-ups.... funded and driven by investors and speculators yet again...will not survive. I do fully believe the pattern will repeat itself again and it will go bust. At least partially bust....this is NOT sustainable. And we ARE repeating the bubble bubble bubble..

LOL

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickeration View Post
I have lived in SF since 1995 and watched the first dot com people come and go, rents go crazy and then crash, mass exodus of the "gold rush" as 10% of the city fled (all 22 year olds straight out of college).

This one will be different because alot of horrible people have now bought homes here.. and plan to raise their warped spoiled children here (by nanny of course!). So they might not leave.

But I do truly and fully believe that all of these start-ups.... funded and driven by investors and speculators yet again...will not survive. I do fully believe the pattern will repeat itself again and it will go bust. At least partially bust....this is NOT sustainable. And we ARE repeating the bubble bubble bubble..

LOL
These techies are supposed to change the world and our future is doomed without their idiotic apps and social networking non-sense! The current craze confirms that the only people who make lot of money in society are usually the ones who deserve it least.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 AM

184 posts, read 448,023 times
Hopefully very soon.

Douchebags Like You Are Ruining San Francisco

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickeration View Post
Enough with all of these start-ups! Not everyone is going to have some kind of a revolutionary idea that will shake the market. If 50% of businesses actually fail within the first 5 years, then the 'pop' may actually come in about three or so years.

I'm wondering if all of the start-up people will move from Silicon Valley towards Oakland as it becomes the place to be, driving up prices.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
The issue is, SF, the Bay and CA in general have lost the middle class. And meanwhile, not only tech dooshies but also, international money in general, have beat a path to our door drawn by climate, lifestyle and other aesthetics.

We now have these enclaves of wealth in a vast sea of poverty and secular decline.

Kind of feudal, when you get right down to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland