Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM

134 posts, read 385,466 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals

I am a 27 year old male looking to move off the east coast, have never been to the west coast. I was looking at Las Vegas, San fran, and Colorado. I really am zoning in on San fran as it seems like a really fun place for me in my travels.

There are a few caveats though and I want to make sure that I account for them:

1) I like working in restaurants (bar-back, running, bussing, serving) or the service industry period (mostly restaurants or customer service). Will I be able to make enough money at these types of places to afford the high rent in San Fransisco?? Keep in mind I am low maintanance and would move in with roomates -- so I would be paying around 600 plus utilities a month if I moved to the bay area. Would I be able to find a job that would afford that?

2) Would I be able to find a job somewhat quickly if I looked every day and was not picky-- like within a month? In other words is there a lot of help wanted -- or is there little help wanted and tons of competition?

3) I don't have a car. I lived on Martha's vinyard island off the cape of mass and walked most places, I did this 48 hours after getting the idea to go there -- so I am a bit adventurous to say the least. Thing is though they have a bus system that comes every 30 minutes -- and I would plan accordingly -- walking for a total of about 30 minutes to get to the bus and then to work, and then doing the same on my way home to get to the bus and then home. Would I be able to do that sort of thing in Frisco -- or is the downtown and businesses so spread out and out of whack -- that I would have to have a car to set myself up? (A car is NOT an option what so ever). If I couldn't make the public transportation work -- it would be a bust for me to move to Frisco.

Anyways if someone would be cool enough to answer these questions for me, that would be awesome. Thanks man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:35 AM

495 posts, read 1,831,141 times
Mackwild,

1) The restaurant industry is diverse here and you should be able to find a position to make ends meet. However, keep in mind most people share rentals and you may need to get a roommate or 2. I don't know what your background looks like, but if you have a lot of industry experience and it's been diverse (store, restaurant etc) you may be able to nail down a corporate position with a chain for example...Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Peets and some of the others. They all have regional offices in the Bay Area or are headquartered here. It all depends if you're strictly referring to working in a restaurant or are open to exploring your options.

2) I would put my resume on Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com and scour craigslist daily. Monster is a well known database that the restaurant industry and recruiters in that world utilize. I would check also recommend checking in with the managers you've worked with on the East Coast to see if they're connected to anyone here. The very best way to hook up a position is based who you know irregardless of the industry. You tap into the hidden job market this way and you come with a good reference already.

Monster - Search Jobs

3) I eventually sold my car when I lived in SF and the last 4 years I was without. I could never remember to move my car for street cleaning and those tickets add up. Anyway, there are many people in the city who get by without a car. I was also a member of CityCarShare which was fantastic and they have pods all over the city and east bay cities, like Berkeley. Great for short excursions across the bay and errand running.

City CarShare - San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, CA USA

Best wishes on your upcoming adventure.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Mackwild,
Forgot to add public transporation is good in SF and surrounding areas. MUNI in SF used to be better, but it still worked for me. You just need to learn the nuances and you'll be okay.

There's also BART of course and CalTrans. They're are probably other public transportation systems, but those are the main ones.

Transit (SF Muni / SFMTA)

BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit District

Old 10-13-2007, 01:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
<cringe> PLEASE don't call it "frisco"

Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
<cringe> PLEASE don't call it "frisco"
ha, you have to tell him why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland