Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,965 times

Advertisements

hi-i lived in both Palo Alto and bay area and SB for over 20 years-hate to break it to ya, but SB is 20-30% cheaper than the bay area right now...proven by 3 real estate folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,965 times
OMG-this is SO wrong!!!!! first of all, SB is not hot--it's average is in the 70s for all summer. I lived in BA for 40 years--it gets HOT in the penninsula and you need AC. In terms of culture? You've got to be kidding about SB not having as much--it's actually more museums, theaters than the bay area.
Public transportation is better in SB, its easier to get around and the lifestyle is more sophisticated.
The bay area is CROWDED! I commuted up and down 101 and 280 for scores of years and lived all around the bay area-its crowded and expensive and not as nice as SB.

So, if you want great weather, cheaper housing (YES), great beaches, fantastic downtown with tons of great stores (all in one place), less crowds, go to SB--in fact, don't go to SB--leave the secret to us!!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
As a place to live you can't compare these. SB is expensive but it's stunning and you get what you pay for. Bay area is way overpriced with ugly run down housing and very hectic and stressful living environment compared to SB.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_SBNUT View Post
hi-i lived in both Palo Alto and bay area and SB for over 20 years-hate to break it to ya, but SB is 20-30% cheaper than the bay area right now...proven by 3 real estate folks.
It's been 8 months, I get the feeling the decision has been made...

Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding about SB not having as much--it's actually more museums, theaters than the bay area.
Public transportation is better in SB, its easier to get around and the lifestyle is more sophisticated.
Please cite sources for these claims. Thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
SB probably is too hot in the summer (parts of the Bay Area don't require AC. The fog provides all the AC we need).
Ever spent much time at / near the beach in SB or anywhere else in SoCal during the summer?

You will not see very many places with AC in such locales .... there's a reason.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Sb is so hurt. Bay area by far.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_SBNUT View Post
OMG-this is SO wrong!!!!! first of all, SB is not hot--it's average is in the 70s for all summer. I lived in BA for 40 years--it gets HOT in the penninsula and you need AC. In terms of culture? You've got to be kidding about SB not having as much--it's actually more museums, theaters than the bay area.
The bay area is CROWDED! I commuted up and down 101 and 280 for scores of years and lived all around the bay area-its crowded and expensive and not as nice as SB.

So, if you want great weather, cheaper housing (YES), great beaches, fantastic downtown with tons of great stores (all in one place), less crowds, go to SB--in fact, don't go to SB--leave the secret to us!!

Climate - agree. I lived in SB for 8 years with no AC and it was never a problem. I think there was maybe a day or 2 in 8 years when the temperature got above 90. SF, Daly City, and the parts of Berkeley/Oakland directly in the path of the Golden Gate are probably the only populous parts of the Bay Area that have cooler summers than SB.

Museums/Theaters - I doubt SB has more than the entire Bay Area, but maybe more per capita. There is definitely no lack of things to do.

Culture - Kind of a nebulous term, but people often mean that the place has some level of diversity, which something SB most definitively does NOT. The most common type of person you will find in all those museums/theaters is wealthy elderly white women. Not that I have anything against that demographic, I'm just saying.

Public transportation better - that must've been a joke.

Easier to get around - Yes. You can bike everywhere and driving is a breeze.

Bottom line - If you are retired or independently wealthy, SB probably offers a better value. If you need to work for a living, you'll have better luck in the Bay Area.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Ever spent much time at / near the beach in SB or anywhere else in SoCal during the summer?

You will not see very many places with AC in such locales .... there's a reason.
Agree, I lived 9 years in SD and not a single place I lived had AC. I think Ruth doesn't understand that SoCal also has microclimates and the coast is very mild and doesn't require AC.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

Only a small percentage of the population lives near the beach, HELLO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland