Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I was thinking Kitana was not a dude, but what do I know.
Ha ha. I tend to say "Dude" to everyone, of both sexes. Think I've been in CA too long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 13,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I was thinking Kitana was not a dude, but what do I know.
Yeah, I'm a girl

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Your "job" is an at-home job. Why do you need to commute anywhere? Why don't you just find one of the least expensive areas of the country and move there?
I meant commute to school if I wanted to go to CSM, DVC, or CCSF, but I guess they would be far away. I might have to settle for San Joaquin Delta College. Plus I want to stay here since all of my family is in the Bay Area; and I also want to take advantage of the free education California offers at community colleges...no other state does this! I wish UC or CSU was free too.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You know what they say about curiosity, don't you?

Anyway, "I left my heart in... No! That's not right. I don't even like the place.

So here's the rest of the story. I was born and mostly raised (military family) in Southern California. Lived there on-and-off (also spent a number of years in the military) for the next 62 years. Probably 40 of them
were actually in CA with the rest being divided up in several other states and countries. I was constant in CA from 1980 until 2009 and worked for the state the last 25 of those years, 18 of which were spent in Sacramento. My wife of 16 years is from Sacramento and also worked for and retired from the state like I did. We then moved to the Ozarks.

I still take an interest in my native state and three of my children and both of my wife's daughters - all from prior marriages - live in or near Sacramento. Add grandcildren, a great-grand and sons- and grandsons-in-law and that portion of the "clan" numbers 18. We care about them, where they live and what's going on in the state that may affect them.
Wow! What a history. I love SF...I hear they have a pillow fight there each Valentines Day...lol.

My family is in the Bay Area too. I am originally from a small town, so I can relate to living in the Ozarks.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Not sure if this post is serious or not, but you really don't seem to know very much about the Bay Area. Aside from NYC, it's the most expensive place to live in the entire country. The cheap/affordable areas are still incredibly expensive and they won't be safe/nice.

How did you land your spot in Pleasant Hill?
Yeah, now I realize SF is so expensive...kind of like the opposite of many big cities where there are ghettos and the like. Where I'm from, big cities are cheap: Buffalo; Philadelphia (except Center City and the area UPenn is gentrifying in West Philly); and Portland, Maine.

LOL...Portland is the biggest city in Maine at 60,000 people and I think of it as huge, whereas dinky little Antioch here has 100,000 people.

I was living in Pleasant Hill with my mom rent free! Then she literally had a mental breakdown due to her husband's unexpected death and moved out to live with her sister, saying our apartment was cursed. Very long story. I, having no place to go, stayed here to prevent myself from being homeless, and am now being evicted for failure to pay rent. Uh....hello...the rent was $850 a month, and my income from disability was only $790 a month last year (before the Social Security cost of living adjustment--COLA). How am I supposed to pay the rent when it is more than my income?? So I have to find a place to rent before the Sheriff comes knocking at my door to kick me out. And I have to file for bankruptcy to avoid paying the future judgment for back rent that the landlord will be awarded in the unlawful detainer case (eviction) against me.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM

460 posts, read 982,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitana99 View Post
Yeah, now I realize SF is so expensive...kind of like the opposite of many big cities where there are ghettos and the like. Where I'm from, big cities are cheap: Buffalo; Philadelphia (except Center City and the area UPenn is gentrifying in West Philly); and Portland, Maine.

LOL...Portland is the biggest city in Maine at 60,000 people and I think of it as huge, whereas dinky little Antioch here has 100,000 people.

I was living in Pleasant Hill with my mom rent free! Then she literally had a mental breakdown due to her husband's unexpected death and moved out to live with her sister, saying our apartment was cursed. Very long story. I, having no place to go, stayed here to prevent myself from being homeless, and am now being evicted for failure to pay rent. Uh....hello...the rent was $850 a month, and my income from disability was only $790 a month last year (before the Social Security cost of living adjustment--COLA). How am I supposed to pay the rent when it is more than my income?? So I have to find a place to rent before the Sheriff comes knocking at my door to kick me out. And I have to file for bankruptcy to avoid paying the future judgment for back rent that the landlord will be awarded in the unlawful detainer case (eviction) against me.

If you get an eviction on your record, you will not be able to rent anywhere for seven years, no matter how much your income increases.

Filing for bankruptcy does not make you immune from back rent either. Please speak to a tenant lawyer immediately!

Why would you be left alone by your mother if you were disabled? I believe you are making something up.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
Since you get social security disability. (And you get more than I do!) And providing you do not have a criminal history? You may be eligible for section eight. Have you checked into that possibility? Do note tho that there is a ridiculously long waiting list for section eight all over the bay area right now. I only got on cause I applied in Iowa city and ported here. On 8th street in west Oakland. (Actually am more south south west Oakland than west Oakland.) And have been doing just fine. In a studio apt. On $760 per month. (Its not the Hollywood bvrd. Thats for sure. And you won't have an ocean view. But definitely nicer than Iowa city's west side. Esp this time of year mind you... And the palm tree is actually growing outside the house instead of inside...) Do be warned. HUD is very touchy about criminal backgrounds. So if you have any criminal record? Esp violent, drug or sex crimes. You will unlikely be eligible. I agree with what others said about not needing to report what your not paying for medical insurance. The biggest issue I see. Is your impending bankruptcy. Definitely list what you get in Disability. Since that is your most steady source of income right now. And just say you get additional income from working at home. Also note that your rental history. Aka.. Have you always payed your rent in full and on time at your current place? No violations of your lease that you failed to correct on time etc. Plays a big role. And be honist at the interview. Will also play highly in your favor. Note that with out section eight subsidy. My unit would run about $700. With a voucher. Its $189 per month. Add about $30 a month for electricity. So assuming your steady income is $1400 per month. And your unable to get a voucher. (Be warned. The waiting list here in Oakland is measured in years. So check with your current hud office. To see if there waiting list is shorter? 'I was lucky or was it unlucky. To have lived in Iowa city before I moved here in 2011. Where the waiting list was just two years.') That would you leave you with $670 after rent and a modist utility bill. (I did not include what your saving on health insurance or what your getting from family there.) Which is well. A lot more than than what I have after rent! Plus about seventy bucks in food stamps. (And while I do not have a car. I do have a hobby of macro-photography. 'Amazon Com is my freind! Esp when I need new equipment.' And an absolutely maddeningly ridiculous cable bill!) So if you can find a unit under $700 dollars. And are able to do with out a car. (Given you work at home. Is a big advantage. The bay area has the most diverse public transit system I have ever imagined. Plus a lot of it is walkable as well.) And are willing to do your own cooking etc. (I never go out anyway. Another big saver for me.) You could make it in Oakland. Through if your already in a comfortable area? I would just stay put. (And see if your eligible for HUD assistance. Which would reduce your rent to one third of your total income. Which would really help you a lot!) And wait out the waiting list. (In Oakland they use a lottery system. So you have to check often. To see when the list is open. They have two types of section eight. Voucher Based section eight. 'Longest waiting list. But definitely the better program. Since you can move freely from city to city. Called porting. And section eight that apply s to just one apartment complex.) Esp if its shorter where you are living now. (In which case you want to apply in your own town. Then port out. I strongly suggest you call the HUD office. They can explain things more fully.) Sorry this post is so long.
Ugh...I'm so upset. I had just written a very long reply to your post (it sounds like you're paying too much in Section 8--they calculated your rent wrong; and you're also not getting SSI/SSP to supplement your SSDI, which would increase your income), and my browser (Firefox) crashed, and I lost everything. I'm going to repost, but I have to calm down for a while.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
If you get an eviction on your record, you will not be able to rent anywhere for seven years, no matter how much your income increases.

Filing for bankruptcy does not make you immune from back rent either. Please speak to a tenant lawyer immediately!

Why would you be left alone by your mother if you were disabled? I believe you are making something up.
The bankruptcy will stay on your credit report but somone might still rent to you. Particularly a private party that doesn't use a property management firm. Just be honest and tell the truth about your finances. There is no absolute rule that no one will rent to you for 7 years at all. It may be harder to rent is all.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM

179 posts, read 412,105 times
Quote:
Ugh...I'm so upset. I had just written a very long reply to your post (it sounds like you're paying too much in Section 8--they calculated your rent wrong; and you're also not getting SSI/SSP to supplement your SSDI, which would increase your income), and my browser (Firefox) crashed, and I lost everything. I'm going to repost, but I have to calm down for a while.
Why are you upset? What your referring too. I am pretty sure its correct. Since I have in fact been on a section eight program both in Iowa and here in California. And the amount was nearly the same in both places. Actualy a tab bit less here. Cause I chose a smaller unit than I had in Iowa. Was on project based section 8 in Iowa. And now am on voucher based. The reason I do not get SSI/SSP. Is cause I am on survivers benefits. Off my dad. Only thing difference I noticed between the two states. Is for some reason. My food stamp benefits dropped by about thirty dollars or so after I moved. Also the figures given in my last post are just *Very rough* estimates. Which is why I suggest one actually check with the agency's I listed. I am by no means an expert when it comes to finance.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM

179 posts, read 412,105 times
Quote:
Oh, I am not upset at you...just that my browser crashed and I lost everything I had written in reply to you...a very long post of mine. So now I am going to have to rewrite everything...if I can remember it all...LOL.

I didn't know you got Social Security Survivor's...my bad. I just assumed you got Social Security Disability too. And you have to be disabled or elderly and low income to get CA SSI/SSP. Plus you are right then with your Section 8 amount too since you are not disabled.
Actually it is disability. But its under survivors benefits. Its kind of confusing even for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland